What's your favorite starting mod?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm starting my world over. I wasn't that far along, but I realized that I was going to start getting to a grind soon, and since I was more playing with the tech mods, I decided I'd add the tech mods to Horizons, but now that I think about it, there are only a few magic mods that I really like, so why not just add those to Monster.

Anyways, all that to say, that personally, I enjoy starting my worlds (Other than vanilla obviously) with either Blood Magic or RotaryCraft (Just started with that in my last world, and it has quickly become if not my favorite mod, close to the top.) but what mod do you like starting your worlds with before you move off into other things?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I actually really like Thaumcraft. I kinda went all out with it in MF2, and really enjoyed it. (Hard mode research for the win!) I love how you can adapt your wand/staff to various uses from weapon, to pick/shovel, to flight (with TT installed) just by switching out the wand focus. It works well while adventuring. Less useful while at your base.

Darkling54

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel and carpenter's blocks. I don't like having machines outside or in a cave, and I don't like 9x9's.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal expansion and forestry. I used to IC2, but it's just a pain in the dick now, if your infrastructure isn't established.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers Construct and Thermal Expansion. I usually build a smeltery in a noob hovel before I get a pulverizer and stuff. But I guess next time I'll try out RotaryCraft.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I go EnderIO, Rotarycraft, and Thaumcraft for early-game 1.6.4.
I go EnderIO, Rotarycraft, and Blood Magic for late-game 1.6.4.
I go EnderIO and Botania for early-game 1.7.
I go pretty much everything in my pack for late-game 1.7 as it has ~20 mods.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm....I don't have a favorite starting mod so far, but then I haven't started that many worlds. My preference is to get out of the "early game" phase with all its manual mining and scarcity of resources as fast as possible, combined with a set of mods determined by my style choice for that particular world.

Tinker's construct tools are extremely useful for the game phase you can get them and have a surprising longevity, so I'd probably start there. Followed by some low-tier power generation, depending on location and resources. Use that power to run a tree farm for more power generation. Snowball that and create a self-sustaining cycle until you can run an autominer. In the meantime, explore the magic mod of your preference. That would be Thaumcraft for me.

I my next new game, if I don't get insane and do something GregTech-y, I'll probably start with Mekanism in parallel with TiC. I've come to like it quite a bit, and it occupies a very attractive medium spot in the ease of tech-tree-climbing between TE and RotaryCraft.

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft then Gregtech.
I say just fuck it and dive right in.

(As it turns out Gregtech is good to start with because it makes life so much easier midgame)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
(As it turns out Gregtech is good to start with because it makes life so much easier midgame)
It does? It has been my impression that GregTech continues to be hard throughout a typical progression curve. But then, I haven't played it yet.

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of new mods, Resonant Induction Archaic Age is not bad if you want to stay low-tech for a while.