What's your favorite starting mod?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers construct is THE startup mod. If you don't make a stencil table/part builder/tool station at the same time as your first crafting bench, you should consider that you're a bad player and need to up your game.

That coupled with the smeltery as the quickest path to ore doubling in a new world makes it indispensable.

It basically occupies the bit of the playthrough before I get a thaumonomonomonomonom and a supply of praecantatio to make thaumium (that's usually once I dive into the nether hunting for netherwort)

Then after that, rotarycraft. Grinder becomes my transition point from early to mid game.
...is it bad I actually removed TiCo because it's so poorly balanced?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

Yes...

I normally get TiC going then make a pulverizer and redstone furnace to get the byproducts :) Then Thaumcraft. Then a planter/harvester/sludge boiler trio... After that? Well, TBH, I keep restarting my worlds shortly after I get frustrated with Thaumcraft research.
I'm hosting/playing on a server now with friends soooo.. maybe I'll get a bit further now.

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
No it isn't bad. It has horrible balance in tech packs, because you aren't supposed to use it in tech packs :p
Mdiyo balanced it around a few mods, not things like ic2, Bc, TE and TC

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
No it isn't bad. It has horrible balance in tech packs, because you aren't supposed to use it in tech packs :p
Mdiyo balanced it around a few mods, not things like ic2, Bc, TE and TC
Tools that don't break, are insanely easy to enchant, bows that require special arrows, which can also be upgraded(and recovered if you don't fire them into lava), and, and can be powered by RF. That last one means it can be used with tech mods quite easily.
Hard to balance things without tech and add a tech addon.
Yes...

I normally get TiC going then make a pulverizer and redstone furnace to get the byproducts :) Then Thaumcraft. Then a planter/harvester/sludge boiler trio... After that? Well, TBH, I keep restarting my worlds shortly after I get frustrated with Thaumcraft research.
I'm hosting/playing on a server now with friends soooo.. maybe I'll get a bit further now.
I avoid it anyway. I can't consider a mod that allows me to get silk touch from an emerald, some string, and some gold or Alu-brass, "well balanced". Fortune 5 from 1 piece of lapis?
It's a fun mod, but it has shit balance.

Beeze23

Jul 29, 2019
TiCo for early ore doubling without having to spin a handle and better-than-vanilla tools.

MFR for a tree-farm based charcoal generator with TE itemducts. (Since BC is buggy on SSP)

AM2 reconstructor for my cheap bronze armor (I make two sets and rotate em), until I get enough stuff to put together the Mage Armor.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
TiCo for early ore doubling without having to spin a handle and better-than-vanilla better-than-almost-anything-including-MINING-LASERS-tools.
ftfy. Got your back.[DOUBLEPOST=1405736334][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hardly. For people who are fond of bulk packs, possibly, but for those out for any sort of tech challenge, its going to make things a bit silly.

Reactions: Beeze23

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yeaaah...that's like my biggest peeve with GT, the hideous amount of log spam and additional startup time. If you configure it right, it isn't too intrusive, but even with the intrusiveness almost entirely eliminated, it still spams the log with its anal retentive ore dictionary checks.
In 1.7, gregtech only does this once. After that, it doesn't take much longer(if at all) to start then it would without gregtech.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Between TiCo and MFR, I can't claim I don't like OP stuff. :p
At least MFR has pretty much nothing but machines(and is fairly well balanced for being pretty damn powerful, see pink slime gate for examples).
magic crops...once you get that essence going, boom baby ;)
Tryharding again, are we? Bees get you more then then magical crops ever could, and have much better balance.
In 1.7, gregtech only does this once. After that, it doesn't take much longer(if at all) to start then it would without gregtech.
Based 1.7 GT. Why does my big name magic mod not update for 1.7 yet? I wish I was there with you now, Greg. But I am a melting pot of friendship, and that's fucking magical.

Reactions: Pyure and Not_Steve

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
. Fortune 5 from 1 piece of lapis?

Wut? Takes a lot more than 1 piece of lapis for fortune to stack.

Sure, autosmelt and silk touch are easy to get, but I don't use them much. (well, I'll silk touch a pick for fun at times, but it's not really needed in a mod heavy pack IMO)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Wut? Takes a lot more than 1 piece of lapis for fortune to stack.

Sure, autosmelt and silk touch are easy to get, but I don't use them much. (well, I'll silk touch a pick for fun at times, but it's not really needed in a mod heavy pack IMO)
No, takes 1 fortune and a shit ton of Experience(read: use the weapon to kill things, and mine things like lapis for mining tools, and before you know it, fortune 5).
Also not using silk touch in a heavy tech game with RotaryCraft or GregTech is tryharding.
May as well use Magical Crops and never mine at all if you don't use a silk touch tool.

Hey, here's a fun example of how TiCo has shit balance! Which of these mods is well balanced? Dartcraft, where Convenience is King! And your upgrades are tiered, take exp, and tools can break for good, or TiCo, where 1 lapis can get you fortune 5 on a pick made of paper which you jammed a diamond on, 1 piece of moss, and finished it off with assloads of redstone because while the redstone upgrade is also exp upgraded, it doesn't make sense to do that, and the tool you spent literally noting but a diamond and a piece of lapis and some redstone on makes every other mods tools look like shit, and will never break?

Reactions: Padfoote

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
Like someone already said, Tinkers Construct is not balanced around tech mod and a tech playstile. It's not the only way to play the game. It does make sense not using it if you care about the same old balance concept, but modpack like MF2 and Agrarian Skies show a way to use it "correctly" in tech environments. Also, if you care more about building and exploring and other minecraft stuff and not about crazy resource production, Tinkers is not replaceable.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Like someone already said, Tinkers Construct is not balanced around tech mod and a tech playstile. It's not the only way to play the game. It does make sense not using it if you care about the same old balance concept, but modpack like MF2 and Agrarian Skies show a way to use it "correctly" in tech environments. Also, if you care more about building and exploring and other minecraft stuff and not about crazy resource production, Tinkers is replaceable.
FTFY
It's not a part of Minecraft itself, and adds very little of value to building that other mods don't do better.
And...
Daily reminder: All Minecraft mods that have new tools, or Tile Entities, are Tech Mods. Magic mods are just tech mods that don't bother explaining shit. A great example of this is IC2, pre EX branch, in which they try to breath life into a dead mod by shoving it into a barrel and filling it with lye and wonder why no one likes the changes as they unleash the killer bees at us.

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
It's not a part of Minecraft itself
It's a mod, it adds to the game something that's not in the game.
adds very little of value to building that other mods don't do better
Well, this is your opinion and your playstyle. If I want to make a giant hole I prefer to use a hammer and not a filler. It's a choice on how to do things, there's no absolute path to follow. Luckily.
All Minecraft mods that have new tools, or Tile Entities, are Tech Mods.
Tinkers is a tech mod, yes, but a low-tech one, and doesn't fit well with high-tech mods unless configured properly. For tech environment I mean something with high-tech mods. I'm just saying that it's balance is not "poor" in general, it seems like that only if you like to play the high-tech game. I'm asking for respect for the author's choices and for the players enjoying the mod the way it is.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It's a mod, it adds to the game something that's not in the game.

Well, this is your opinion and your playstyle. If I want to make a giant hole I prefer to use a hammer and not a filler. It's a choice on how to do things, there's no absolute path to follow. Luckily.

Tinkers is a tech mod, yes, but a low-tech one, and doesn't fit well with high-tech mods unless configured properly. For tech environment I mean something with high-tech mods. I'm just saying that it's balance is not "poor" in general, it seems like that only if you like to play the high-tech game. I'm asking for respect for the author's choices and for the players enjoying the mod the way it is.
If I want a giant hole, I use a tool from a better mod.
And no matter how hard you try, you can't close this can of worms. It's balanced as well as a cage match between Superman and Aquaman(in deep space), and while that can be fun, so can be building a giant penis in creative mode. And making it spray milk with some mods.

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
If I want a giant hole, I use a tool from a better mod.
You, not every player in the world. "Better mod", it still depends on how you want to play the game. "Balance" itself depends on how you want to play the game. It's not so difficult to get.

By the way, with less hatred you also get better quality discussions.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
*throws in Iguana Tweaks and runs away*

It makes the early game harder and the late game easier, depending on config.

Reactions: KurShedir

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You, not every player in the world. "Better mod", it still depends on how you want to play the game. "Balance" itself depends on how you want to play the game. It's not so difficult to get.

By the way, with less hatred you also get better quality discussions.
Balance is subjective, true. And as far as I've ever seen, no one in their right mind things 1 piece of lapis should EVER allow one to get fortune 5. Subjective or not, it's not far from Podzol to diamonds, which I admit, had the interesting upshot of allowing one to make podzol from dirt, making it a clever rehashing of the old Dirt to Diamonds joke mod.
Yes, they are a joke mod. I mean, some people seriously play with Ore Spawn. We call these people "idiots". Royal we unless otherwise stated.
And no matter how hard you say I shouldn't hate, I won't change my mind unless I have reason to believe the mod is balanced.
So yeah, I'm a hater, and I'm gonna hate. All the whining about how I shouldn't hate just makes me feel justified. I'm a troll, first class to boot.
Either get on my level(spoiler: I'm MLGPRO and I #360noscope bitches all day, get #rekt scrub), or laugh it off. Either fight me 1v1 IRL, or get some thicker skin.

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
Balance is subjective, true. And as far as I've ever seen, no one in their right mind things 1 piece of lapis should EVER allow one to get fortune 5. Subjective or not, it's not far from Podzol to diamonds, which I admit, had the interesting upshot of allowing one to make podzol from dirt, making it a clever rehashing of the old Dirt to Diamonds joke mod.
Yes, they are a joke mod. I mean, some people seriously play with Ore Spawn. We call these people "idiots". Royal we unless otherwise stated.
And no matter how hard you say I shouldn't hate, I won't change my mind unless I have reason to believe the mod is balanced.
So yeah, I'm a hater, and I'm gonna hate. All the whining about how I shouldn't hate just makes me feel justified. I'm a troll, first class to boot.
Either get on my level(spoiler: I'm MLGPRO and I #360noscope bitches all day, get #rekt scrub), or laugh it off. Either fight me 1v1 IRL, or get some thicker skin.
That was hilariously brutal. I agree that MFR and TiCon throw everything out of whack and are ridiculously unbalanced in terms of other mods used along side them, but maybe you are stretching it a bit? :p

Anyway, both mods are fun to use, but are not so far from things like EE2 and can yield simply stupid amounts of resources in minutes very early game in the wrong pack. It is entirely opinion and preference on whether to use them or not but in no way are they balanced or even remotely challenging in the majority of tech packs. I will not be using them again for the most part because I have outgrown the need for tons of resources with minimal effort. I prefer delayed gratification, hard work yielding great results and a huge reward after huge effort, but not all people want this. It is a matter of choice.