What's your 1.6 modlist?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree about it being fast enough without an upgrade. If you plan on building skyscrapers out of octuple compressed cobblestone, an unupgraded cobblestone generating transfer node isn't going to cut it. But I think that you can get a stack of cobble a tick with this thing upgraded? A bunch of these, and that might pump out some amount of the good stuff.

well, there are always those crazy kinds of people who actually build mega-builds with those blocks :p

Reactions: ZethHQ

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
So far, out of the big three combat-worthy magic mods I'm playing with, I've determined that...

* Thaumcraft is very easy to get into at very early game and all the wand focuses make for very damaging and durable weapons.
* Blood Magic can't even get started until you have a good pile of diamonds and emeralds and seems utterly useless until you work your way towards Bound Armor and Bound Tools at which point you're a demigod as long as you make regular sacrifices.
* Ars Magica can't really start until you find enough specific ores to build an occulus and then build a giant megastructure to make yoru first spell, so it's not very early-game friendly, in my opinion. Mage armor is extremely potent, but the attack spells can't punch their way out of a paper bag and burn through your mana way too quickly for the amount of power.

Just got into a throwdown with my Ars Mage buddy and wiped the floor with him using my Blood Magic, although I exhausted all my essence and was down to a single heart when I finally killed him. :p

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
So far, out of the big three combat-worthy magic mods I'm playing with, I've determined that...

* Thaumcraft is very easy to get into at very early game and all the wand focuses make for very damaging and durable weapons.
* Blood Magic can't even get started until you have a good pile of diamonds and emeralds and seems utterly useless until you work your way towards Bound Armor and Bound Tools at which point you're a demigod as long as you make regular sacrifices.
* Ars Magica can't really start until you find enough specific ores to build an occulus and then build a giant megastructure to make yoru first spell, so it's not very early-game friendly, in my opinion. Mage armor is extremely potent, but the attack spells can't punch their way out of a paper bag and burn through your mana way too quickly for the amount of power.

Just got into a throwdown with my Ars Mage buddy and wiped the floor with him using my Blood Magic, although I exhausted all my essence and was down to a single heart when I finally killed him. :p
In all honesty, Blood Magic isn't really combat-oriented until you reach that point. Before that, it is more utilitarian in nature with things such as the Lava Crystal, Sigil of the Green Grove, and their own infinite lava and water buckets. Also, until you at least get a Magician's Blood Orb, your LP reservoir is going to be severely lacking anyways. There ARE plans to help people who aren't practicing in Blood Magic to stop/destroy someone in Bound Armour. A certain flower that would start weakening anyone who has a soul network, and make them more susceptible to spells and other offenses when in its region of effect...

If you don't watch your Soul Network, you will be destroyed. You need to thus make sure that it doesn't fall past certain levels, otherwise a fight could turn really sour REALLY fast.

Also, wish I could have seen that fight. Would have been epic... Did the Ars Mage have the best spells he could? Or was he not even managing to do much with his best spells? Also, tell your Ars buddy to get some armour penetration spells... THOSE may hurt a bit.

EDIT: I just realized I now have a Mod Developer tag. Hello, progress! \o/

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
In all honesty, Blood Magic isn't really combat-oriented until you reach that point. Before that, it is more utilitarian in nature with things such as the Lava Crystal, Sigil of the Green Grove, and their own infinite lava and water buckets. Also, until you at least get a Magician's Blood Orb, your LP reservoir is going to be severely lacking anyways. There ARE plans to help people who aren't practicing in Blood Magic to stop/destroy someone in Bound Armour. A certain flower that would start weakening anyone who has a soul network, and make them more susceptible to spells and other offenses when in its region of effect...

If you don't watch your Soul Network, you will be destroyed. You need to thus make sure that it doesn't fall past certain levels, otherwise a fight could turn really sour REALLY fast.

Also, wish I could have seen that fight. Would have been epic... Did the Ars Mage have the best spells he could? Or was he not even managing to do much with his best spells? Also, tell your Ars buddy to get some armour penetration spells... THOSE may hurt a bit.

EDIT: I just realized I now have a Mod Developer tag. Hello, progress! \o/

I've never actually tried Blood Magic. maybe it's because I found the mod as it just came out with not much content and still thinking it lacks in content... I might try it out. then again, I've been saying the same about other magic mods that I still haven't tried out like Witchery and Minegicka... but I really wish Ars Magica 2 is going to change the way of making spells and the spells themselves... they're just too damn weak and cost too much to make

Reactions: SpitefulFox

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019

Aside from the Lava Crystal, I didn't really see any of the early game sigils as being useful enough to try crafting. I think the main problem is that I'm playing an All Magic modpack, so things like furnace fuel, lava, and infinite water sources aren't as important to me without machinery demanding them.

All of my recent deaths have been from me spamming blood/spells without any essence left, so I'd say the whole "soul network or bust" weakness is pretty damning already. :p

He was casting augmented multi-damage modifier spells at me and they weren't even scratching me. Only reason I even took damage at all was because I exhausted my soul network and was burning through my own health to hit him with my bound sword. :p

I've been saying the same about other magic mods that I still haven't tried out like Witchery and Minegicka... but I really wish Ars Magica 2 is going to change the way of making spells and the spells themselves... they're just too damn weak and cost too much to make

Witchery is fun! You should really give it a go sometime. The best part is that it doesn't require ANY worldgen, so you can drop it into an already existing pack/save and jump right in without needing any retrogen/mystcraft ages.

I agree about Ars Magica. The spells just don't give NEARLY enough bang for their buck, and the casting costs are insanely high compared to their effectiveness. Casting a Heal spell on reduced casting is enough to heal you in three casts and still have enough mana left over for several more while casting it in normal or augmented is just a MASSIVE waste of mana. It's like the reduced-normal-augmented spell costs weren't even tested or looked at.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I have zero interest in Ars2, it just doesn't tickle my fancy or float my boat in the least. Blood Magic is cool, and I can think of a lot of uses for it. Witchery is really cool, I'm in the process of writing up a guide for it. Thaumcraft 4 can be tedious, but also a lot of fun.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I have zero interest in Ars2, it just doesn't tickle my fancy or float my boat in the least. Blood Magic is cool, and I can think of a lot of uses for it. Witchery is really cool, I'm in the process of writing up a guide for it. Thaumcraft 4 can be tedious, but also a lot of fun.
I'm really not interested in Ars2 either. Also the mobs are completely annoying. They completely run rampant in the twilight forest and promised land. So much so that they ruin the experience of those two dimensions. The meteors. Oh my goodness I hate those meteors so much! The worldgen is annoying as well, but if I actually used the mod then that wouldn't be an issue.

I finally just disabled it in my RR instance. I couldn't take it anymore

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Harsh. :eek:

I see potential in Ars 2. I really enjoy the spell crafting system and the ability to completely customize spells. I just think the numbers need to be re-balanced and the meteors need to be de-griefed by default. Mithion's latest vid shows some kind of Project Bench addition, and those are always nice. :D

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I actually lost all my AM2 progress in my current world. lost all my points, all my levels, everything. and I didn't care at all, I was just "meh" and continued playing with Thaumcraft.
but I always compare magic mods to Thaumcraft, because thaumcraft is balanced so well. so it's really hard for a magic mod to go up against Thaumcraft.

but AM2 really need alot of rebalancing, but I'm not blaming Mithion for the current state of AM2, because just like any other popular mod, people were pushing him to release the mod, even if it was unfinished. so for now I just keep AM2 installed and await for an update.

but I played for about 1 minute with Witchery when I loaded a RR instance, and ofcourse I tried the flying broom, but my god, I think I was doing something wrong because I couldn't control the damn thing at all :p

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my modlist
5d4356a4c9c234c66870b6f57e4e03ae.png

Trying to get it tow work for about a week now. Surprisingly not particularly buggy. I'm proud of this set of mods and I've been playing it with my friends for the past couple hours. I had GregTech but it was removed by request. So what do people think? Should I add or remove anything?

Protocurity

Jul 29, 2019
I've also decided to take up making my own customized mod list recently. Currently, it is quite long, so I"ll just give the highlights. Basically it is Hexxit from the technic platform, but with certain mods removed, and also a bunch of the common FTB tech mods, sans the IC2/BC/Railcraft/Forestry core that everyone is used to. So basically it is Hexxit except with stuff like Thaumcraft, EnderIO, Mekanism, and Rotarycraft installed.

I figure, I'll try and get the best of both worlds, from both adventure mods and tech mods, while mixing it up with new stuff I'm not familiar with.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my modlist

Trying to get it tow work for about a week now. Surprisingly not particularly buggy. I'm proud of this set of mods and I've been playing it with my friends for the past couple hours. I had GregTech but it was removed by request. So what do people think? Should I add or remove anything?

holy jeebus, it's a wonder you're actually able to play it with not many bugs.
do the mods play along nice with eachother or are there some exploits between mods and such?

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
holy jeebus, it's a wonder you're actually able to play it with not many bugs.
do the mods play along nice with eachother or are there some exploits between mods and such?

There are a one or two bugs, but not too many. None that affect the game too majorly. I have only played with it for about 3 hours. I imagine their are a few exploits but I find fun in finding them.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
There are a one or two bugs, but not too many. None that affect the game too majorly. I have only played with it for about 3 hours. I imagine their are a few exploits but I find fun in finding them.

yea, it can be fun from time to time to really abuse an exploit, usually makes some very interesting builds ;)

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my modlist

That is a very long list. I'm surprised MC even loads never mind runs!

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
imagine how long it'd take to load all those mods, or even worse, imagine trying to create a modlist like that and constantly run into errors :eek:

One ID conflict and boom. Issues everywhere.

Does anyone know if TiC has thaumium support again? With the writeable modifier?

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
imagine how long it'd take to load all those mods, or even worse, imagine trying to create a modlist like that and constantly run into errors :eek:

IT takes about 3 to 5 minutes to load up. Creating worlds is a bit slower than usual but no longer than a minute. Making it took about a month. It would of been shorter if I didn't have the compulsive need to update the mods every day.