What would YOU change about BuildCraft?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Pipe Overload, Alternating Power System, No Power Storage. I personally like the Alternating power specifically. Also the amount of power everything requires is too low to handle anything like Big Reactors so being able to use RF on them really hurts Buildcraft.

power storage-> don't install mods that store energy, not something buildcraft can help you with
Pipe Overload-> should be able to be done using RF if they want it back if it is brought back then its up to you if you use the pipes
Alternating Power System-> install ic2 instead of thermal expansion and the like and you have suddenly multiple power systems, unless you want to deal with 3

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
power storage-> don't install mods that store energy, not something buildcraft can help you with
Pipe Overload-> should be able to be done using RF if they want it back if it is brought back then its up to you if you use the pipes
Alternating Power System-> install ic2 instead of thermal expansion and the like and you have suddenly multiple power systems, unless you want to deal with 3
1. I'm fine with that, not the main issue.
2. It's been said is isn't easy I'm pretty sure.
3. I enjoyed Buildcraft's take on it, however you do not get what I mean by Alternating Power System.

This doesn't stop the RF power production standard from hurting Buildcraft's progression as well as overpowering (Read as over supplying power) machines like using any 1 Dynamo on a Quarry.

There's other mods, like RC or PneumaticCraft. Personally I like PneumaticCraft.
I use both of them. In which I will say again, it doesn't stop the current standard of RF Production from hurting Buildcraft.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Playing with a BC RoC focused pack and I am remembering reasons why I shelfed BC for other mods.
One bugbear I would change is how you aquire pipe sealant. Either you have cactus or if Forestry is present wax can be used. I would add a few more methods to make pipe sealant. Maybe make a block of clay and 4 sand and 4 flint yeild you 2 sealant.
Because if you don't have forestry and are unfortunate enough to not spawn with a desert within 1000 blocks due to biome/ generation mods or just plain old bad luck. Getting in to BC is a tough old slog.
I guess it forces you in to bees if you have forestry installed, makes non Binnie's bees useful for something.
I may actually learn ModTweaker just to add this methinks for my playthrough. Maybe think of some better methods. Maybe string sand and a bucket of water? Might do some research on what we use IRL for inspiration.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
Minor thing that doesn't really matter, but would be convenient: Rename Minecraft Joules. The name is jarring and it makes me want to think of Michael Jackson. Not suggesting to start using RF, but maybe change the name?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Minor thing that doesn't really matter, but would be convenient: Rename Minecraft Joules. The name is jarring and it makes me want to think of Michael Jackson. Not suggesting to start using RF, but maybe change the name?
What? Minecraft Joules has already been retired. No mod uses them anymore.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
One bugbear I would change is how you aquire pipe sealant. Either you have cactus or if Forestry is present wax can be used.

I'm pretty sure you can also use slimeballs (1 slimeball -> 1 sealant). That can still be a pain, though.

Reactions: Azzanine

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
1. I'm fine with that, not the main issue.
2. It's been said is isn't easy I'm pretty sure.
3. I enjoyed Buildcraft's take on it, however you do not get what I mean by Alternating Power System.

This doesn't stop the RF power production standard from hurting Buildcraft's progression as well as overpowering (Read as over supplying power) machines like using any 1 Dynamo on a Quarry.

I use both of them. In which I will say again, it doesn't stop the current standard of RF Production from hurting Buildcraft.
Check the TE config. You can adjust the amount of RF and transfer rates in Cells, along with RF generation of dynamos. If I recall, you can do the same with virtually all tech mods, so it's easy enough to scale RF generation back down to the "established norm" of the Buildcraft, Railcraft & forestry environments.
One twist you could enforce with Energy Cells, is that they can only output at 1/10th of their normal output.

Modern TE can be heavily configured compared to previous versions.

I think the main reason for the increase in RF (aka MJ) production is to avoid engine/dynamo spam, which helps servers, but does make things too easy.
I have been meaning for a while to review all RF generators and scale them to the "old skool" engines.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Check the TE config. You can adjust the amount of RF and transfer rates in Cells, along with RF generation of dynamos. If I recall, you can do the same with virtually all tech mods, so it's easy enough to scale RF generation back down to the "established norm" of the Buildcraft, Railcraft & forestry environments.
One twist you could enforce with Energy Cells, is that they can only output at 1/10th of their normal output.

Modern TE can be heavily configured compared to previous versions.

I think the main reason for the increase in RF (aka MJ) production is to avoid engine/dynamo spam, which helps servers, but does make things too easy.
I have been meaning for a while to review all RF generators and scale them to the "old skool" engines.
You will notice very quickly that without removing the recipes for TE's augments Dynamos are still too good. However my point isn't this, It's that I shouldn't have to nerf every other mod just to make one I like work.

LuigiHutch

Jul 29, 2019
You will notice very quickly that without removing the recipes for TE's augments Dynamos are still too good. However my point isn't this, It's that I shouldn't have to nerf every other mod just to make one I like work.

BC should not have to buff its engines just for the sake of TE's Power creep.

BC also has config options for the amount of RF produced by oil and fuel in the Combustion engines. It still doesn't have a config option for the amount of energy that the other engines output though :/

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
BC should not have to buff its engines just for the sake of TE's Power creep.

BC also has config options for the amount of RF produced by oil and fuel in the Combustion engines. It still doesn't have a config option for the amount of energy that the other engines output though :/
I never said to buff the engines, I said go back to MJ and have a way to convert MJ to RF but not back there by fixing the issue of BC Machines being easy to power as well as bringing back an Alternating Power system which was in my opinion better.

I'm saying avoid the power creep as a whole by distancing the mod from the issue.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You could also I dunno... not use TE. Zandorum is correct in one aspect he shouldn't have to nerf everything and he doesn't need to nerf everything.

Go without TE if you think it's generators are too good. The dynamos are balanced around themselves and TE machines.

I think most of our balance concerns are caused by both thoughtless pack makers and people's inability to create their own pack easily to their specifications or due to how MC multiplayer works.

I have been playing Space Engineers lately and it's mod handler is pretty good. I can have multiple saves each with a different selection of mods.
I haven't messed with Multiplayer yet but I would guess it adds the mods you need as you join.

Of course SE has steam workshop on its side and MC doesn't.

So unless Zan actually wants TE he can turf it or nerf it. They are the only options unless he plays multiplayer then there's no workable options.

TE dynamos are not too good but BC engines are not to weak. They are all balanced around their own mechanics. Problems only arise when you insist on combining the two and expecting one not to overpower the other.
To think TE used to be a companion mod that was dependant on BC.

Reactions: Golrith and RedBoss

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
You could also I dunno... not use TE. Zandorum is correct in one aspect he shouldn't have to nerf everything and he doesn't need to nerf everything.

Go without TE if you think it's generators are too good. The dynamos are balanced around themselves and TE machines.

I think most of our balance concerns are caused by both thoughtless pack makers and people's inability to create their own pack easily to their specifications or due to how MC multiplayer works.

I have been playing Space Engineers lately and it's mod handler is pretty good. I can have multiple saves each with a different selection of mods.
I haven't messed with Multiplayer yet but I would guess it adds the mods you need as you join.

Of course SE has steam workshop on its side and MC doesn't.

So unless Zan actually wants TE he can turf it or nerf it. They are the only options unless he plays multiplayer then there's no workable options.

TE dynamos are not too good but BC engines are not to weak. They are all balanced around their own mechanics. Problems only arise when you insist on combining the two and expecting one not to overpower the other.
To think TE used to be a companion mod that was dependant on BC.

1) I don't feel I should miss out on something just because a part of it is too convenient in another mod.
2) I play my personal pack only.
3) I've nerfed the Dynamos power output in TE and made a personal mod to remove the Augment Tab from Dynamos for my personal pack.

I personally want the feeling of Steam being the highest tech tier of MJ *cough* I mean RF while Nuclear reactors from IC2 could be used as an alternate source of power but requires work converting the power using Forestry Engines. I do not use Big Reactors and have no want to due to this mentality. I try to keep my minecraft slow progressing and inconvenient. This is why I play on hardcore fairly often. I've changed most of the recipes of mods as of late for my personal pack, I may if I get permission from each mod author with the addition of permission to have my edits included release the pack at some point. TLDR; I try to nerf RF down to original MJ standard for my personal play.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I largely agree with you on Big Reactors, but I've just stopped bothering with the reactors themselves. I use Turbines exclusively instead.

As for converting: Just chop a zero off of power outputs and inputs. Instant RF>MJ conversion. (Seriously, back-end mumbo-jumbo not withstanding, all they did was add a zero to MJ.)