What would YOU change about BuildCraft?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
Also, an addition idea for the Thermal Dynamics (itemducts, fluiducts, etc.) mod, tell KingLemming, Zeldo, or RWtema please (no one folows the Thermal Dynamics Discussion thread anymore), I want to be able to, anywhere on the pipe network, place a block that can emit a redstone signal if there are 3 cobblestone ANYWHERE in the system, or, alternatively, specify which chests to look into (only look into my storage chests, for example). This will help an autocrafting machine only pull out the items to craft with if there are enough items for it in the chest. Otherwise you have to deal with Complex, and I mean COMPLEX, redstone circuiting, even with the Project Red Mod. You have to program into it when and where to flush the system of items, and if this thing did not come in time, or etc. (the circuit took up the majority of a 12x6 area). The problem with Logistics Pipes auto Crafting is that if there is no room in the default route, the byproducts will drop on the ground. The problem with Applied Energistics is that I don't like the concept of using data, I like to work directly with items. Of course, there are ways to deal with the LP crafting problem so the dropping will never happen outside of an intended area, but I like to challenge myself to build stuff without the usual mods for it.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
Also, an addition idea for the Thermal Dynamics (itemducts, fluiducts, etc.) mod, tell KingLemming, Zeldo, or RWtema please (no one folows the Thermal Dynamics Discussion thread anymore), I want to be able to, anywhere on the pipe network, place a block that can emit a redstone signal if there are 3 cobblestone ANYWHERE in the system, or, alternatively, specify which chests to look into (only look into my storage chests, for example). This will help an autocrafting machine only pull out the items to craft with if there are enough items for it in the chest. Otherwise you have to deal with Complex, and I mean COMPLEX, redstone circuiting, even with the Project Red Mod. You have to program into it when and where to flush the system of items, and if this thing did not come in time, or etc. (the circuit took up the majority of a 12x6 area). The problem with Logistics Pipes auto Crafting is that if there is no room in the default route, the byproducts will drop on the ground. The problem with Applied Energistics is that I don't like the concept of using data, I like to work directly with items. Of course, there are ways to deal with the LP crafting problem so the dropping will never happen outside of an intended area, but I like to challenge myself to build stuff without the usual mods for it.
Of all places, why would you post that here? Just PM Tema about it.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna repeat my one. The only thing I would change is the clown pipes, haveing a bajillion and one different pipes made from everything feels ass backwards to me.
I know that a modual based system has been tried and passed over but if bc only had 3 types of pipes (power, items, fluid) with a few tiered programmable logistics junctions I'd actually give BC a try again.

Also I would make rudimentary gates available earlier. Maybe a basic extraction gate. Also a better filter pipe that isn't reliant on sides but that could be a modual like I mentioned.

I'd have the usual wood and stone pipes at the beginning that act like they do now. But then you would progress to a modular iron pipe that can accept gates and logistics modules that allow you to rout items like iron pipes, filter like diamond, can act as insertion points for machines and any other logistic things added in the vast span of time I have avoided 90% of BC (I have been known to use the odd pump and quarry).
Not sure how this would work with them robots though I have mostly ignored them for no good reason.

I think someone needs to revisit the whole "dumb" pipe transport system again. Give us linear item transport in a cleaner more modern form. While it's good to have item transport that doesn't spray items everywhere I feel we have lost something somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna repeat my one. The only thing I would change is the clown pipes, haveing a bajillion and one different pipes made from everything feels ass backwards to me.
I know that a modual based system has been tried and passed over but if bc only had 3 types of pipes (power, items, fluid) with a few tiered programmable logistics junctions I'd actually give BC a try again.

Also I would make rudimentary gates available earlier. Maybe a basic extraction gate. Also a better filter pipe that isn't reliant on sides but that could be a modual like I mentioned.

I'd have the usual wood and stone pipes at the beginning that act like they do now. But then you would progress to a modular iron pipe that can accept gates and logistics modules that allow you to rout items like iron pipes, filter like diamond, can act as insertion points for machines and any other logistic things added in the vast span of time I have avoided 90% of BC (I have been known to use the odd pump and quarry).
Not sure how this would work with them robots though I have mostly ignored them for no good reason.

I think someone needs to revisit the whole "dumb" pipe transport system again. Give us linear item transport in a cleaner more modern form. While it's good to have item transport that doesn't spray items everywhere I feel we have lost something somewhere.

You could retexture all the pipes to one colour...

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You could retexture all the pipes to one colour...
I would still have to craft them and remember what type does what. I suppose if I intend on using BC again re-texturing could blunten the affect.

Actually... I really am behind on BC mechanics, did pipes get a similar texture job as the rest of the blocks?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I would still have to craft them and remember what type does what. I suppose if I intend on using BC again re-texturing could blunten the affect.

Actually... I really am behind on BC mechanics, did pipes get a similar texture job as the rest of the blocks?
They got a retexture and what each pipe does is said if you hover over it

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
Of all places, why would you post that here? Just PM Tema about it.

What is PM-ing? I know NO way to access RWTEMA, Zeldo, or KingLemming.
Kludgy in what respect? The BC pipes from a player (well me specifically as a player) standpoint seems to be the EPITOME of a kludgy. Try to get perfectly smooth droppless system with BC pipes requires all manner of feedback loops and multicolored parts.

Back in the day I remember the horrid obsidian pickup loops you'd have to setup to get items that fell out of a pipe back in to the system. Then Extra Pipes added insertion pipes and it became a little better but you still needed the feedback loop, it just meant you could do without the engine powering the obsidian pipe.
I have a feeling you mean kludgy from a programming aspect, something I would be unaware of. Because I really don't know see you could get BC pipes to be anymore clumsy and unweildly.

I guess I never truly liked BC pipes, I only used them becasue they where the only option until REDpower Pneumatic tubes came in to power. Now we have EIO and the revamped TE duct mod Thermal Dynamics although they kind of spoil us a bit too much.
These days I would only use BC pipes if the pack I was using had logistic pipes and that's only becasue it forces BC pipes to be a smart routing on demand system.

You can use the Thermal Dynamics Itemducts with Logistics pipes in stead of BC pipes. That's what I use. Trust me, it really works. Warp itemducts make LP so fast.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013

You can use the Thermal Dynamics Itemducts with Logistics pipes in stead of BC pipes. That's what I use. Trust me, it really works. Warp itemducts make LP so fast.
but LP are not buildcraft, they are an addon to it yes, but not buildcraft.
as far as pinging goes on this forum you can do it by placing an @ before someones name to give them an alert that says that they have been mentioned. For example @64diamondblocks
(in this case it won't give you an alert of the ping as I also quote one of your posts and one post can only give one alert per person)
I believe the people you mention all have twitter

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

I have heard of this development but frankly TD doesn't need LP because it already does 80% of what LP does.
TD doesn't do on demand item requests and crafting though so it's useful there at least.
But in a world with AE you don't really need it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
AE is all about storage. LP is about getting items where you need them, when you need them to get there. I have to be in wireless range to get stuff from AE. LP delivers straight into an ender pouch on request.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
As I said that is the only perk it brings. unless things have changed doesn't LP has no way to request things to your inventory without help from ender storage (unless they can fill ender chests now, then id be wrong). Without it you would have to walk up to your item depo point to retrieve them. Despite it's piddly range wireless AE does this natively.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Honestly, I feel LP is much more adept at automation than AE, but nothing beats AE in terms of mass storage (at least in any of the major packs). With AE you essentially have a "stocked" inventory, import and export to work with, along with level emitters to act as conditions.

It's much simpler to keep a stock of items in an inventory with LP for instance than it is with AE for example. It also handles fluids natively, without the need of an addon. The main thing it does not provide is a native way to store items, relying on other mod's storage options (or vanilla chests).

Honestly I most often end up with my AE 'system' simply being an interface and a bunch of me drives, simply storing my stuff and LP actually handling well, the logistics, if both are in the pack.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
One thing I would change, that I haven't noticed, is an indication of connection between wooden/emerald extraction pipes and any kind of power. Whether engines, or power pipes, I'd like an indication if I want to plug them for some reason. Even if it's just an extension with a red arrow point into the pipe would be perfect.

On LP: I do use the AE system for ore processing, if only because of the bouncing issue. Though with the new filters, I'm going to give BC another go.

Do Lists work with Diamond Pipes?

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Revert to MJ and have the Engines also produce MJ and RF based on what its connected to OR have a "Pump Dynamo" which turns MJ into RF. I feel that RF's current standard of power production over supplies RF for any/all of the Machines in Buildcraft and this would allow Buildcraft to be played at the intended speed as well as keep the Quarry from being extremely easy to power.
Note: I really don't want a way to convert RF to MJ personally.

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Revert to MJ and have the Engines also produce MJ and RF based on what its connected to OR have "Pump Dynamo" which turns MJ into RF.
Enlighten me what MJ always did that you can't achieve with RF?
If you just want the machines to not be compatible with RF then I'm personally against that and that comes from someone that "hates" RF.

Reactions: RedBoss

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Enlighten me what MJ always did that you can't achieve with RF?
If you just want the machines to not be compatible with RF then I'm personally against that and that comes from someone that "hates" RF.
Pipe Overload, Alternating Power System, No Power Storage. I personally like the Alternating power specifically. Also the amount of power everything requires is too low to handle anything like Big Reactors so being able to use RF on them really hurts Buildcraft.