What would an ideal server look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TwiiCe

Jul 29, 2019
You got me there. The are so few servers that follow the eula that I really can't find an example.
I know a whole lot of great servers that follow the eula. Take the official servers frpm the ftb team, or tppi for that matter.
Its the servers like woddycraft that profited the most of the eula. They suck less than before.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I know a whole lot of great servers that follow the eula. Take the official servers frpm the ftb team, or tppi for that matter.
Its the servers like woddycraft that profited the most of the eula. They suck less than before.
I just disagree with what Mojang tried to do. Servers should have the right to monetize their content. That is all I have to say.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Servers have the right to make money, yes. From donations, and maybe VIP slots, etc.
But if you say that to buy a full set of diamond armour costs $1, that means you are selling Mojang's content for $1.
YOU ARE SELLING MOJANG'S CONTENT is the key bit.

That is why servers shouldn't monetize their content.
It's actually fair of Mojang to say that they can do more than just ask for donations (i.e. giving little perks like custom user titles, decorative stuff, etc.)

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Servers have the right to make money, yes. From donations, and maybe VIP slots, etc.
But if you say that to buy a full set of diamond armour costs $1, that means you are selling Mojang's content for $1.
YOU ARE SELLING MOJANG'S CONTENT is the key bit.

That is why servers shouldn't monetize their content.
It's actually fair of Mojang to say that they can do more than just ask for donations (i.e. giving little perks like custom user titles, decorative stuff, etc.)
Have you seen some servers? They have such great custom plugins. It is crazy. They should have the right to sell content from that plugin. Be it coins, be it a custom enchantment. Besides, Mojang forfeited all rights to enforcing their eula when they did not enforce it from the beginning.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Besides, Mojang forfeited all rights to enforcing their eula when they did not enforce it from the beginning.
We should probably move this away from this thread now.

But that is completely wrong. People can change/start enforcing laws, at any time they like.

There are products which apply for a patent/try to enforce breaches of licenses years after they are released. So why should mojang not do the same.
But the whole "you will not resell the game" was always in the EULA, they just had to reword it so that server owner who were reselling parts of the game would also be encompassed

psp

Jul 29, 2019
We should probably move this away from this thread now.

But that is completely wrong. People can change/start enforcing laws, at any time they like.

There are products which apply for a patent/try to enforce breaches of licenses years after they are released. So why should mojang not do the same.
But the whole "you will not resell the game" was always in the EULA, they just had to reword it so that server owner who were reselling parts of the game would also be encompassed
I think we can agree to disagree. But yes, we probably should stop interrupting this thread :D.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Have you seen some servers? They have such great custom plugins. It is crazy. They should have the right to sell content from that plugin. Be it coins, be it a custom enchantment. Besides, Mojang forfeited all rights to enforcing their eula when they did not enforce it from the beginning.

It's Mojangs code everything is based on/modifying... What on gods green earth makes you think they have the right to sell stuff made/coded by others? If Mojang was getting a cut(or the modder who wrote the stuff) then it's all hunky dory but these server owners download the server(for free!) make it offline so cracked clients can connect and then have the audacity to make a living off stolen code that they resell.

And the VAST majority of servers are not selling their "custom plugins", they're selling items made by modders or Mojang.

Back to the OP, my server is pretty rad, simply because I'm the only one on it. Open servers / servers where anyone can join will always end in tears as there's no accountability.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

psp

Jul 29, 2019
It's Mojangs code everything is based on/modifying... What on gods green earth makes you think they have the right to sell stuff made/coded by others? If Mojang was getting a cut(or the modder who wrote the stuff) then it's all hunky dory but these server owners download the server(for free!) make it offline so cracked clients can connect and then have the audacity to make a living off stolen code that they resell.

And the VAST majority of servers are not selling their "custom plugins", they're selling items made by modders or Mojang.

Back to the OP, my server is pretty rad, simply because I'm the only one on it. Open servers / servers where anyone can join will always end in tears as there's no accountability.
lol
As I said, I'm not going to cede this point. I believe my opinion is right.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
"singleplayer servers" (1 person who plays on a usual basis, with maybe friends at weekends) are pretty good. It's basically singleplayer, with minions who have better AI ;)

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
"singleplayer servers" (1 person who plays on a usual basis, with maybe friends at weekends) are pretty good. It's basically singleplayer, with minions who have better AI ;)
That's what I said! :D
The issue is when your minions friends try to rebel against you. To cries of "FOR THE LABO(u)R UNION!" They'll charge your base! Then they'll ask you to make weapons for them because they need something to rebel against you with, and they don't know how to make them themselves. >.<

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
lol
As I said, I'm not going to cede this point. I believe my opinion is right.

Well then you sir are a [redacted because I don't feel like everyone pointing out what a dick I am], but wow the "Be Nice" rule sure is hard to follow when presented with that.

Just me on this server, tired of the SSP lag and my PC melting.

That's what I

Bahahahaha

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Well then you sir are a [redacted because I don't feel like everyone pointing out what a dick I am], but wow the "Be Nice" rule sure is hard to follow when presented with that.

Bahahahaha
Man, I'm on my phone, and all the buttons are close together. :p
There's actual content there, now...
(Don't tell me to get tapatalk, I don't want to bother making an account yet)

Reactions: Padfoote and psp

psp

Jul 29, 2019

Bahahahaha
I was trying to be nice...
I could have been like "fuck you, i'm right, your wrong. How dare you even argue with me".

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
To get this back on topic, my ideal server is close to what I'm playing on now, but with a bit better CPU (motherboard is coming soon though). The community is friends and their friends, with a server load of 6-10 players who (at least generally) know one another, and if the server admin gives me any lip, I can drive to his house and smack him. We have a dedicated TeamSpeak, and people are good company. Most have a sense of humor (most of us a dark one at that) and we're pretty good about embracing the random prank (my head is still posted on a fencepost outside the Great Hall..

Community projects are very possible, as each of us have different reasons to play. One of our mates lives to mine and collect ores - nearly to a fault. That said, its all fair game to anyone e who wants it, so once we've settled a bit, it is rare that I have to go mining unless I want to. Our server admin jumped into Agricraft, and his wife into Pam's Harvestcraft - food is a thing now. I've fallen into power generation, with a splash of Thaumcraft and whatnot. Another has been consumed by Botania. Yet another has a full IC2 setup.

We are spread out across the world, but we have a "Great Hall" of community stuff. Everyone has a Mystcraft Intralinking Book to the hall and back, making it a default hub. Most inventory is free for the taking, although a heads up or a sign post saying who took it is deemed appropriate. If you have a need, someone usually has what you're looking for, or can at least give you an assist in getting it.

Nice Communist Utopia with some like-minded, friendly people.

Biblo15

Jul 29, 2019
There are actually few servers which got closed because changed the system to match the eula. The minigame server Multicube for exmaple got closed as there was no longer enough donations/purchases to pay the bills. The server got even featured by the youtube channel TheSyndicateProject and Mianite.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the server type:-

Public - admins usually need all the bells and whistles to help players and admins with griefing and similar problems
Whitelisted - depends on the player count and how well the owner vets players as to whether they need the same anti grief plugins
Private - nothing extra needed

I play on a Private whitelisted server and we play on hard mode with 0 plugins, 0 anti grief stuff and the only extra mod we sometimes use is morphius (sleep mod).

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I want to see economy. I've been toying with the idea of a server running Gregtech, no item or fluid teleport, and capped world size. I imagine that it would force players to trade, and cooperate, especially for high tier builds (like a server shared fusion plant), and would force players to live closer together, more in cities / towns where they can take advantage of shared builds and resources. I was also thinking about dumping in all of the "hard mode" food and mob mods as well, to give players more of a reason to build defended and walled cities.

As for servers, I think it really depends on the community that you have. From what I've seen, servers work best if they're like Forgecraft, where everyone knows each other fairly well, we access is controlled, and everyone is fairly mature. There are simply too many ways to grief to protect against, other than walling yourself off in a mystcraft age and calling it good.

As to servers selling items, I agree, although I do think that some sort of donation reward should be allowed. On one server I was on, one of the benefits to donating was that the admins would make a small (three Chunks square to start) island in its own dimension for you, with the size of the island determined by how much you donated. It was a public (with application process) server, so a lot of people donated to ensure that they wouldn't get griefed.
This idea inspired me to start testing out GT6, and creating a pack which includes it.

It will have Tinkers' in it, with a config option to force max world size. The full mod list as I have it right now is:
  1. AE2
  2. Binnies Mods (extra bees/trees) - for hard earned renewable resources
  3. Buildcraft
  4. Carpenters Blocks
  5. CodeChickenCore
  6. CoFHCore
  7. ExtraBiomesXL
  8. ExtraTiC
  9. Fastcraft (needed, GT too laggy brah)
  10. Forestry
  11. GregTech 6
  12. Hardcore Ender Expansion
  13. IC2
  14. Inventory Tweaks
  15. JABBA
  16. JourneyMap
  17. Magic Bees
  18. Mantle
  19. Minetweaker
  20. NEI Addons
  21. No Mobs Spawning on Trees
  22. Not Enough Items
  23. Not Enough Resources
  24. Pam's Harvestcraft
  25. Tinkers' Construct
  26. Thaumic Energistics
  27. Thaumic Tinkerer
  28. Thaumic Expansion
  29. Thermal Expansion
  30. Thermal Foundation
  31. TiC Tooltips
  32. WAILA
Obviously, that list looks a little sparce, but I am trying to make it so it is very greggy for machines, and machines only. All Thermal Expansion machines cannot be crafted (there's a few things which can be; energy cells, strongboxes, and satchels). But in return for this all vanilla items that get gregged (metal tools, hoppers, buckets, cauldrons, glowstone blocks, etc.) have their vanilla recipe returned.

I will probably release this pack publicly next week, depending on how long it takes me to finish doing a few things with it. But are there any mods that you think are missing/should be added?

Last edited:

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
Lagless, player driven economy only, low to no banned items ( stuff like nukes are cool) or the idea that you have to donate to access some items. Small community of white list players and a nice plethora of staples mods.