What would an ideal server look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TwiiCe

Jul 29, 2019
A recent discussion I started sparked interest with quite a lot of you, talking about how most servers have gone to the nether and back. And right now I was wondering what you guys do like about servers, like, what would be things most servers could learn from.. Things they should and shouldn't do.

Here's my 2 cents;
Please server owners, stop making admin shops. A market area for players seems like a good idea, but an admin shop with unlimited supply.. really?
Especially if its a challenge map. I remember a regrowth server selling items by the bunch. Where's the challenge?

Your turn.

Reactions: mattp_12

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
to sum it all up, make it feel like I am playing on a server without all the annoying things that come when you lay on a server. These contain but are not limited to :grieving, lag and banned items

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Admin shops should not exist, as they go against the Minecraft EULA.
A server admin may not sell items, other than those which are purely aesthetic

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I think he meant x amount of y items gives z amount of gold and q amount of gold gives d amount of h items

I have no idea if those letters are actually used for this kind of things but oh well it probably gets the job done

TwiiCe

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. They should be banned against the eula in all forms.

But I indeed ment the "You have 100 coins" shops that let you buy anything game-breaking because you "dont feel like grinding".

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. They should be banned against the eula in all forms.

But I indeed ment the "You have 100 coins" shops that let you buy anything game-breaking because you "dont feel like grinding".
Oh you mean the in-game stuff (gonna stick with vanilla to make it easy)
You sell cobblestone for 1 coin each, 64 coins = 1 iron, 480 coins = 1 gold, 5000 coins = 1 diamond, and people just sell all their cobble and iron to get a few diamonds...
Yeah, that is lazy, but I see no issues with this system, as long as it doesn't give access to hard to get stuff. For example, removing diamonds from the shop, but leaving everything else. Because on an old server, diamonds will be very valuable, and 5000 cobblestone isn't really worth it. But, even though iron is valuable, it's also "needed" unlike diamonds which are a luxury.

Keserian

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I want to see economy. I've been toying with the idea of a server running Gregtech, no item or fluid teleport, and capped world size. I imagine that it would force players to trade, and cooperate, especially for high tier builds (like a server shared fusion plant), and would force players to live closer together, more in cities / towns where they can take advantage of shared builds and resources. I was also thinking about dumping in all of the "hard mode" food and mob mods as well, to give players more of a reason to build defended and walled cities.

As for servers, I think it really depends on the community that you have. From what I've seen, servers work best if they're like Forgecraft, where everyone knows each other fairly well, we access is controlled, and everyone is fairly mature. There are simply too many ways to grief to protect against, other than walling yourself off in a mystcraft age and calling it good.

As to servers selling items, I agree, although I do think that some sort of donation reward should be allowed. On one server I was on, one of the benefits to donating was that the admins would make a small (three Chunks square to start) island in its own dimension for you, with the size of the island determined by how much you donated. It was a public (with application process) server, so a lot of people donated to ensure that they wouldn't get griefed.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I want to see economy. I've been toying with the idea of a server running Gregtech, no item or fluid teleport, and capped world size. I imagine that it would force players to trade, and cooperate, especially for high tier builds (like a server shared fusion plant), and would force players to live closer together, more in cities / towns where they can take advantage of shared builds and resources. I was also thinking about dumping in all of the "hard mode" food and mob mods as well, to give players more of a reason to build defended and walled cities.

As for servers, I think it really depends on the community that you have. From what I've seen, servers work best if they're like Forgecraft, where everyone knows each other fairly well, we access is controlled, and everyone is fairly mature. There are simply too many ways to grief to protect against, other than walling yourself off in a mystcraft age and calling it good.

As to servers selling items, I agree, although I do think that some sort of donation reward should be allowed. On one server I was on, one of the benefits to donating was that the admins would make a small (three Chunks square to start) island in its own dimension for you, with the size of the island determined by how much you donated. It was a public (with application process) server, so a lot of people donated to ensure that they wouldn't get griefed.

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how it'd work. It depends on the community I guess...
Also, Gregtech ore spawn, and the limit on resources, may make it so that you would run out of iron before you even make a reactor. (for example)

Also, donations for servers are allowed. Selling items/blocks/privileges, is not.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019

Let me know when you do this because a server like this is what it would take for me to get back into Minecraft.

Keserian

Jul 29, 2019
Let me know when you do this because a server like this is what it would take for me to get back into Minecraft.
Definitely. I'm still in VERY early beta on the pack (I'm currently fighting WW3 against some sort of a bug with Railcraft creosote oil not being recognized by buckets, boilers, or machines), but once it's public, I'll definitely let people know.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Not to get off topic, but...
The eula is dumb, stupid, pointless, and retarded. It ruins the only 2 servers who follow it. (99% of servers just ignore the eula)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Not to get off topic, but...
The eula is dumb, stupid, pointless, and retarded. It ruins the only 2 servers who follow it. (99% of servers just ignore the eula)
The EULA is there so that all players are treated equally, and should be.
Why should I get treated better than you, just because I can afford to pay for a special pack to get end-game equipment, and be able to un-ban myself almost instantly, no appealing, etc.
All of these I see as a "reason why the EULA is a good thing"

Stuff like priority joining, etc. I have no issues against, because it is sort of fair. If you pay for something, you should be given priority. (priority joining in the sense that if the server is full "VIPS" are next to join)

But more than 2 servers follow the EULA, a lot of them do. And any that don't, are breaking a law, as when they host a server, they have to accept the EULA (even if it gets accepted by their server host)

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not going to comment on the Eula, as my preferred server ends up not having any admin typey things at all. I don't even use Bukkit/MCPC+/Cauldron. :p

My personal ideal server ends up being the one you host locally yourself for anywhere from 2-6 or so players. No competition against anyone else, really, but it encourages cooperation.
Of course, a sort of competition between two such groups of players would be fun. Space Race, anyone? :)

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking more along the lines of nuclear arms race, but whatever floats (or sinks) your boat ;)
Yeah.
Better idea: Combination. :D
That's what my modpack was intended for; unfortunately, ICBM requires UE as a dependency (I think). It's not worth my time to go through and disable every part of it.
If someone made a new version of ICBM, I'd totally add it to my pack and then host servers with regular tournaments based on building stuff and destroying stuff. :p
Not without missile defense machines, of course, and a good documentation of such (ICBM's radar still confuses me...). What's the fun of destroying people's crap if they don't fire back? :p
Perhaps to avoid over-griefing, missile firing would happen, say, every day at noon, and then only at dedicated "missile bases" with machines that produce power/ores from nothing. They'd be rebuildable, perhaps, but also replaceable by a standard quarry/mining laser/production line built somewhere else. Maybe as the game went on, the machines would be more effective to balance them out. :p

This IS on topic and is NOT an ad for my pack because it's very relevant to "ideal servers." :p

psp

Jul 29, 2019
The EULA is there so that all players are treated equally, and should be.
Why should I get treated better than you, just because I can afford to pay for a special pack to get end-game equipment, and be able to un-ban myself almost instantly, no appealing, etc.
All of these I see as a "reason why the EULA is a good thing"

Stuff like priority joining, etc. I have no issues against, because it is sort of fair. If you pay for something, you should be given priority. (priority joining in the sense that if the server is full "VIPS" are next to join)

But more than 2 servers follow the EULA, a lot of them do. And any that don't, are breaking a law, as when they host a server, they have to accept the EULA (even if it gets accepted by their server host)
I disagree with you. The servers should have the option to have items which you must pay for (most servers are exactly like this). It only hurts the few large large servers who feel they must follow the eula.

I can also go to the threads where eula's have been determined to be iffy at best.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree with you. The servers should have the option to have items which you must pay for (most servers are exactly like this). It only hurts the few large large servers who feel they must follow the eula.

I can also go to the threads where eula's have been determined to be iffy at best.
The EULA is classified as iffy in certain topics, because it is used when quoting mods.
The EULA is aimed at servers, and is "perfect" for servers, but it doesn't really work for mods...

And the EULA should be followed by all, and anyone who sees servers selling items (other than stuff like carpets and paintings - decorative stuff) should report that server. If it goes against the EULA they could be taken to court. (I would like to see some servers be taken to court, as it would make other servers stop selling stuff)

psp

Jul 29, 2019
The EULA is classified as iffy in certain topics, because it is used when quoting mods.
The EULA is aimed at servers, and is "perfect" for servers, but it doesn't really work for mods...

And the EULA should be followed by all, and anyone who sees servers selling items (other than stuff like carpets and paintings - decorative stuff) should report that server. If it goes against the EULA they could be taken to court. (I would like to see some servers be taken to court, as it would make other servers stop selling stuff)
No, it should not be followed. I lost all confidence in Mojang when they released the eula. Not only because of their flawed logic, but because they failed to enfore their eula. In the U.S.A, I would place an equal bet on a court siding with the server. If people don't like the server, move on. That is economics.

TwiiCe

Jul 29, 2019
No, it should not be followed. I lost all confidence in Mojang when they released the eula. Not only because of their flawed logic, but because they failed to enfore their eula. In the U.S.A, I would place an equal bet on a court siding with the server. If people don't like the server, move on. That is economics.
They didnt "release the eula" like a kraken.. it was always there. Every game has an eula. If they don't the game developers don't care about their game.

The eula is a good thing. And for this reason;
People stopped selling minecraft items to other people.
Before the eula was reminded to everyone, people made servers to earn money.
Now people make servers for the right reason, to have fun.

Give one example of a good server that was ruined by the eula.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
They didnt "release the eula" like a kraken.. it was always there. Every game has an eula. If they don't the game developers don't care about their game.

The eula is a good thing. And for this reason;
People stopped selling minecraft items to other people.
Before the eula was reminded to everyone, people made servers to earn money.
Now people make servers for the right reason, to have fun.

Give one example of a good server that was ruined by the eula.
You got me there. The are so few servers that follow the eula that I really can't find an example.