What thing have you never done in FtB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I was thinking about this earlier. There's some mods I get invested in with fantastic (or finicky and annoying) mechanics that I never end up using. Sometimes it's due to the irritation factor, sometimes because I get bored with the world before I get to that stage but more often because what they do gets superceded by something easier to work with and integrate with Colin.

Some personal examples:

Reactorcraft Fusion Reactor. I've made one in creative just for fun but in terms of making one legit in SSP? My worlds don't last that long...

Similarly, BigReactors, I never use the turbines. Every reactor i've ever made has been passively cooled. This is either because my base plans don't involve more than about 50k rf/t worth of stuff OR because it's just a lazy holdover until I get my Rotarycraft infrastructure setup for Reactorcraft nuclear fuel automation.

Oh and I've barely bothered with thaumcraft node trapping since the whole mechanics with node bullying and centi-vis and all that was introduced. I took one look at it, scratched my head and went back to exploding livestock.

What about you? What cool mod mechanics to you forego due to laziness, time constraints or "meh?"

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Lets see... for irritation factor I think Galacticraft takes the cake. That is one mod I don't think I'll ever play again because of the side limitations on the blocks and the inability to automate some of the primary componts (ingot compressor).

As for superceeded.. Forestry farms. There are just so many easier setups than that. I also hate to say this even though it is a good mod but logistics pipes are in that same category. Also, IC2 reactors... Never bothered to learn more than the basics. Usually easier to get the solars running. Another one I skip is the railcraft boilers. That used to be my go to power. But since the forestry fuel nerfs and other easier power gen options I haven't set one up in years.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Henry Link, I believe you subverted the thread purpose a tiny bit my friend (edit: other than the IC2 thing, that was legit)

malicious_bloke, my list is so monstrous its scary. Just a few off the top of my head:

• I've never tried Mekanism.
  • I've never used BC robots except in the most fringe testing way
  • I've never done anything in AE2 beyond basic autocrafting and p2p tunnels (no quantum anything or other)
  • I've never buffed up a hungry node for centis-vis purposes (Although I have jarred one)
  • I've never seen nor interacted with a pech
I'll probably share a ton of others with other people.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Ok so Pyure is pobably right. Let me list things I have never done.
  • Blood magic - don't care for the initial principle of the mod.
  • Witchery - same as blood magic.
    • For both of these I d0 allow them to be played by other players on my server but I don't use them
  • Reika's mods - I've always wanted to try them. Just never got around to. Probably because they are never in any of the mainstream packs.
  • IC2 Reactors - I'll still list this one.
  • AE2
    • P2P tunnels - never saw the need to make my network that confusing
    • Spatial storage - never needed to set this up.
  • Botania - Gia boss fight
  • Mekanism - just never got around to it. Plus one of my playes had a 5x ore processing plant for it and the noise level from those blocks had to the most annoying thing I've heard. Not even the scream of enderman are that bad.
  • Portal to the Deep Dark. I've used them. But I've never been able to craft it myself. I'm just not that fast and it is one of my major annoyances with Extra Utilities.
  • Pure Vanilla Minecraft after 1.2.5. I have to play modded.
  • Nuke my base when getting ready to move/reset a server.
  • Smelt villagers for emeralds. Could never bring myself to do this one.

Reactions: Pyure

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Oh another one I'll add one for AE2. I've never setup a pure AE2 only processor automation. I've always used other mods in addition to AE2 (like Steve's Factory Manger, Computercraft or TE) to automate parts or most of the charger, crystal growth & presses.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Reika's mods.

Honestly I'm interested in the math behind it, but my CPU is too shite for it.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The list is too long to remember, but I'll drop a few that linger in my mind.

RailCraft - I've used the boilers and a few processing machines, but I've never actually set up a working railroad system. I've intended to a number of times, but so many options for transport (player, item, and fluid) are so much cheaper and easier that I've never followed through. Maybe this world...

Reactorcraft - Any of it. It's been in a few packs (even the current pack built around Reika's suite), but I've never delved into it. The possibility of destroying a world if something goes sideways is a bit of a deterrent, especially in server play.

GalactiCraft - The only pack I had this working in (I've fought with it and lost a few times) died of world corruption as we were approaching a state where we thought we were ready for a space program. Rather than boot a backup, we called it done and swapped packs.

AE1/2 - Autocrafting. I've built huge storage systems. I've used it to automate production of countless things (ore processing key amongst them), but I've always used outside sources for my crafting (pumping items in via interface when needed).

Logistics Pipes - This one makes me sad. Sad enough that I added BC and LP to my pack just so I could play with them this time through (even though I didn't want BC in the pack originally for other reasons). I'm looking forward to rectifying this during my current world.

In General - Feel like a world was finished before moving on. Always been a server reset, world corruption, computer melting into slag, or whatnot that has ended my worlds. I've not once been at a point where I felt finished with a world, and that pains me in ways my server mates will never understand. Maybe one day...

I, uhhh, have a problem with villagers.

Of course every problem must have a final solution

Fixed that for you.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
[*]Mekanism - just never got around to it. Plus one of my playes had a 5x ore processing plant for it and the noise level from those blocks had to the most annoying thing I've heard. Not even the scream of enderman are that bad.
The first thing I do in any pack with Mekanism is go into the config and turn the machine sounds off. I love Mekanism, but I hate the sounds.

I've never used AE2. I stopped using AE about halfway through 1.6.4 after deciding it was too easy and the autocrafting was unnecessary, and I've just never really felt a need to use it again. Probably would have in IE:E if not for Logistics Pipes.

I've also never done anything with the spells or bell jars and what not from Blood Magic. The spells seemed like more effort than they were worth, and the stuff with the bell jars just looked too clunky the few times I've seen it used.

I've never set up anything from Reactorcraft, nor have I ever built a gas turbine from Rotarycraft.

I've never played Vanilla (other than the demo on Mojang's site.)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've never played Vanilla (other than the demo on Mojang's site.)

The only Vanilla I've played was on my Xbox360. Not sure that really counts, as it was a dozen updates behind, but it was enough to sink the hook, so well played on them.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Never set up an MFR laser drill. Been in bases where one was set up, but never built one myself.

Then again I haven't really played a FTB pack in a while. Was playing my own home brews until I DLed curse and started to play infinity and then unstable. Then again that unstable has had lots of stuff added to it, may as well not be the same pack.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Still have never done Mekanism or RotaryCraft. I've never found a FTB pack to my liking with either of those mods in it, although I know RotaryCraft is in some of them, and I recently tried to play Horizons Daybreaker which has Mekanism in it (but I never got the modpack loaded properly and gave up).

imPlayin

Jul 29, 2019
I just can't find my way into ChromatiCraft. It just doesn't really give you much guidance. Found a couple of Info Fragments, tried crafting a bunch of things, but the rune crafting just isn't properly explained anywhere it seems.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Similarly, BigReactors, I never use the turbines. Every reactor i've ever made has been passively cooled.
Same thing here. For me it's mostly that the typical reactor I build would need 6-8 (or so) max size turbines to use all the steam. Here's hoping a "high pressure" alternative is added.

Things I haven't tried:
Blood Magic
Tinkers Construct smeltery for ore doubling purposes

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Is this the same as the drinking game?

Never made a 9x9 hut. Of anything.
Never actually used Railcraft for rails :( -3 manpoints.
Never used Ars Magica, EIO, Aura Cascade, BigReactors, or WAILA.
Hoping to change Aura Cascade soon- that mod looks cool.​
Never legitimately gotten into Glassworking. Yet. Or woodworking. Binnie is awesome!
Never beaten a challenge map. -5 manpoints

Reactions: Pyure and netmc

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
Never been to the End. Mine in the Nether fairly regularly, but that's about as far as I get before I start a new world (sometimes involuntarily...).

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have never used enderio, nor custom engineering, nor mekanism, nor any of reika's mods, although they do look cool.

I have never beaten the wither and the ender dragon in the same game. (I may finally do so on this regrowth play through.)

I have never used anything in witchery beyond the most basic items and circle magic. Nothing involving summoning.