What thing have you never done in FtB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I've never actually used stone or steel gears or rods, always skipped straight from wood to diamond before I manage to eventually claw my way into bedrock. Thus explosions from too much torque/speed are just a matter of making sure I don't screw up which way I gear.

That strategy is very heavy on the diamonds though, definitely not for everyone.

Oh, I always went straight to bedrock gears. I remember now. The coils initially had a safety and would charge up to their max, (or indefinately?) and then stop charging. The update made it so they explode if overcharged. Of course, I couldn't get to the overcharged ones before they exploded after the server update, and they all had a rather large quantity of excess energy. There was a big hole.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Heh. My horror story is basically getting pretty far into RoC and then trying to mine a gearbox with an Ars Magicka dig spell. Instant world corruption. That was back in the Horizons days and after reporting that, Reika basically suggested not doing that.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I always went straight to bedrock gears. I remember now. The coils initially had a safety and would charge up to their max, (or indefinately?) and then stop charging. The update made it so they explode if overcharged. Of course, I couldn't get to the overcharged ones before they exploded after the server update, and they all had a rather large quantity of excess energy. There was a big hole.

Yeah, at one point, Industrial Coils had infinite capacity. When that changed, any coil over the limit exploded violently (usually taking out other valuable infrastructure with it). Thankfully, we read that change log before we updated, and manually removed all our coils before we pushed the update.

Well... All that we remembered, anyway...

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, at one point, Industrial Coils had infinite capacity. When that changed, any coil over the limit exploded violently (usually taking out other valuable infrastructure with it). Thankfully, we read that change log before we updated, and manually removed all our coils before we pushed the update.

Well... All that we remembered, anyway...

Given that a industrial coil could only ever be loaded with an overcharge, would be if it was a legacy coil, it was a pretty dick move to not simply zero the capacity of such coils as and when loaded. Any subsequent coil being overloaded would have been detected by the energy going from below max to above max, and detonate. And the players with legacy could would have had "ample" time to redesign their circuits. But no.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Given that a industrial coil could only ever be loaded with an overcharge, would be if it was a legacy coil, it was a pretty dick move to not simply zero the capacity of such coils as and when loaded. Any subsequent coil being overloaded would have been detected by the energy going from below max to above max, and detonate. And the players with legacy could would have had "ample" time to redesign their circuits. But no.

I can't say I disagree with you on how that was handled, but we just used it as a reminder to make frequent backups and wrote it off. Of course, we only had a few small craters on a few off sites and not one giant base sized one.

Z

Zugorosh

Blood Magic's rituals, Witchery, IC2 (learning on how to use it on Infinity SB), Forestry, ComputerCraft, etc.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Never used a BR Turbine.

Come to think of it, I've never built a BR Reactor. I've used plenty of Turbines, but I've always fed them steam from other sources. I helped a server mate set one up at one point, but I've always bypassed the Reactor and headed straight to Turbines.

I guess I never cared enough for the Laser Drill to make the Reactor as self-sustaining as the other options (charcoal, biodiesel, Lava Buckets, etc) to make steam, so the Reactor lost its luster. Especially since I never planned on it doing anything else but make steam to begin with.

Reactions: RedBoss

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
BR reactors, in their simplest form, are both very simple to make automatic, burn very little fuel and can be setup just about anywhere. Plus they're pretty ridiculously cheap. A 3x3x3 reactor can be setup on a quarry, or where ever you need power, and be made automatic, within a 4x4 space.

I've never seen the point of infinite resource generation.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
BR reactors, in their simplest form, are both very simple to make automatic, burn very little fuel and can be setup just about anywhere. Plus they're pretty ridiculously cheap. A 3x3x3 reactor can be setup on a quarry, or where ever you need power, and be made automatic, within a 4x4 space.

I've never seen the point of infinite resource generation.

Infinite resources/power/anything is more about the engineering challenge than the actual benefit most of the time for me. Infinite power in a closed loop is one of my biggest draws (I enjoy seeing how far i can push cross mod exploits when doing so).

On the other hand, I dislike the idea of BR as being lightweight, portable, nuclear power during early midgame. If it were horribly expensive or inefficient until late game, maybe I would see it differently , but as is, it's just too much power for too little work to be enjoyable unless I'm using g it to break mod interactivity as mentioned above. In packs I assemble personally, BR doesn't make the cut. Personal call. Everyone is entitled to an option.

I don't want to derail the thread any further, so if we wish to continue the discussion, feel free to hit me up on a PM.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Perhaps in a different topic so we get other opinions as well.

Never have I died as many times in the nether as I have with Thaumcraft's special enemy status applied to Zombie Pigmen. (Combined with Mekanism Armor on them.) Naturally it occurred on camera.

Never until now, had I tried out Engineer's Toolbox's Fluidic Nether Portal. It's surprisingly awesome.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
This was two years ago, and you could have avoided all of it by reading a forum post or a changelog, and you still complain about it as if it was my fault? The last time you brought it up even SynfulChaot pointed out that it was entirely on you.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
This was two years ago, and you could have avoided all of it by reading a forum post or a changelog, and you still complain about it as if it was my fault? The last time you brought it up even SynfulChaot pointed out that it was entirely on you.

In yet another attempt to re-rail the thread, let's just agree that thing like this are why we back up before updating.

I've never fought the Wither without having completely overpowered weapons and armor for the job.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I've never fought the Wither without having completely overpowered weapons and armor for the job.
I have, but not without making a wither trap first so it's even less of a threat than with overpowered gear. Seriously wither proof blocks are one of the more balance breaking things there is.

Also there was that time I forgot it becomes immune to ranged attacks when hitting half health, those overpowered weapons? Yeah turns out they're not quite so useful when they don't include melee or armour and just sniping stuff with crossbows. That was definitely not a fun fight as it was relatively close to my base too.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I have never used open computers
I have basically never done any complex things with CC without using an add on for CC. (I think that even my sorter uses a function provided by an add-on)
I have yet to use the new tubes from thermal expansion
I have never used enderIO
I have never used witchery, thaumcraft 4 and probably a lot more magic mods
I have yet to make a quarry from extra utils
I never used rotary craft or any of its addons
never made a big reactor, never plan to make one
never used ae2, don't plan on using it any time soon.
never played infinity in any of its modes (and don't plan on doing so)
Not sure if I ever used simple jetpacks.

Probably a lot more that I can't think of right now.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I have never used open computers
I have basically never done any complex things with CC without using an add on for CC. (I think that even my sorter uses a function provided by an add-on)
I have yet to use the new tubes from thermal expansion
I have never used enderIO
I have never used witchery, thaumcraft 4 and probably a lot more magic mods
I have yet to make a quarry from extra utils
I never used rotary craft or any of its addons
never made a big reactor, never plan to make one
never used ae2, don't plan on using it any time soon.
never played infinity in any of its modes (and don't plan on doing so)
Not sure if I ever used simple jetpacks.

Probably a lot more that I can't think of right now.
Are you sure you're playing modded minecraft ? :p

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Are you sure you're playing modded minecraft ? :p
I do, however its hard to use other mods when there is 1 mod that does all the things
super awesome storage? Inductive automation
farming (of everything that exists)? inductive automation
explode things into oblivion and beyond? inductive automation
item transport? inductive automation
ore duplication (or whatever it is called nowadays)? inductive automation
flying? inductive automation
powergen? inductive automation
inventory management? inductive automation
anything I forgot? probably inductive automation

Though, I haven't actually ever been far enough in inductive automation to have done anything in that list. The real reason I was able to write the list of things I have never done was because I just use a lot of other stuff
enderIO: ic2-classic/thermal expansion/some other mod
big reactors: advanced generators
magic mods: don't give a damm about them
ae2: logistics pipes
quarry: turtles with chunkloader peripherals/buildcraft quarries
simple jetpacks: simply flight

Reactions: Pyure

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I've never completed an Achievements list, because the way it all works is so darn stupid... I know every modpack is different, but they all seem to work the same way in this sense... I dug up my first diamond yesterday, but I didn't get the achievement for it, I didn't get the big shout-out from my server-mates congratulating me on my big accomplishment... and why not? Because evidently there was a preceding achievement that I hadn't completed yet... so the diamond achievement wasn't "unlocked" and thus, didn't register. It's dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb DUMB.