What theme of packs would you like in 1.8

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tepig4321

Jul 29, 2019
So 1.8 packs are coming up fairly soon. What ideas and kinds of packs would you want?

I think:
Direwolf20 should get iguana tweaks
The main pack should be about building
A pack for magic
A pack for tech
A pack focused on Blood Magic

Reactions: JimBob4354

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm seeing an awful lot of hesitance by the community to touch 1.8, but I'll play anyway.

An ultra-tech pack which is just as horribly grindy as a GT pack, but possibly (not necessarily) without GT. Maybe an ultra-minetweaked Mekanism pack, so that it still takes me weeks to plod my way through the Steam age.

Reactions: rhn

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like a pack that follows a realistic tech tree, like having you start with stone tools and magic (represents old pagan rituals, except we know that the Minecraft versions work), and have you progress to bronze, then iron, then steel, with various critical stepping stones along the way.

Doesn't have to be 1.8, I just think that this would be a fun pack, even if it is lacking replayability (which it is).

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 is likely to have a sparser set of available mods - many, myself included, have no plans to port our 1.7 mods to it - so we'll have to see what's available. I wouldn't be surprised if 1.8 packs tend towards a more vanilla feel.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to say the modded community is having a fairly slow shift into 1.8. Handfuls of smaller mods have started, like the iPhone mod, but some of the large mods will take a long time to shift. I also know some mod developers are paranoid Microsoft will make modding harder/banned. So 1.8 so far? Not looking torwards to any developments yet.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm going to say the modded community is having a fairly slow shift into 1.8. Handfuls of smaller mods have started, like the iPhone mod, but some of the large mods will take a long time to shift. I also know some mod developers are paranoid Microsoft will make modding harder/banned. So 1.8 so far? Not looking torwards to any developments yet.

Most of the Modding community seems to have missed the fact that there is now a Java plug-in for Visual Studio (works with VS Community, which is free) that includes a sample form of the Mekanism mod source code and versions of both Forge 1.7.10 and 1.8. Add to that the fact that Minecraft was purchased to try and spur interest in software development education in kids...

Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft hasn't been the ogre that most have made it out to be for at least the past decade and most nay-sayers are just having kneejerk reactions.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure we'll see plenty of mods for 1.8... As I pointed out when I saw the same complaints being made about upgrading mods to both MC 1.6 and MC 1.7, skipping a version of Vanilla is only going to make it harder to play catch-up when 1.9 appears on the horizon soon. Anything not adapted now will have to be adapted later in addition to any other new features.

The new Mojang loader auto-loads a runtime version of Java 1.8.0_25 if Java is not already installed, so you won't have to worry about updating that anymore... By the way, the new Curse launcher uses the Mojang launcher and performs the same way, as I tested two days ago when I formatted my dual-boot partition and installed Windows 10 v.10122, re-loading just the Curse client and the Direwolf20 pack.

Many of the changes are to internal systems which have been in the process of being rewritten since 1.6 first was released as a snapshot, and 1.8 out-performs 1.7.10 on my hardware by quite a bit while using less memory.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
A no flight, no teleportation pack. Allowing for Mystcraft because getting crystals are about as hard as getting a Nether Portal.

And maybe fast/slow progression packs. One with less complicated/expensive recipes, one with more complicated/expensive ones. (Nano Armor vs Quantum Suit)

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
Don't we have most of 1.8 in 1.7 already?
I mean we have the optimizations from 1.8 with fastcraft, we even have the horrible new stones from 1.8 with botania :D.

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
I also know some mod developers are paranoid Microsoft will make modding harder/banned.

Microsoft have created development tools specifically for modding the game, want to open up modding and make it even easier for both experienced programmers and new ones to get into, and even had a presentation with Aidan C Brady (the developer of Mekanism) about how great modding Minecraft is. Why would anyone think Microsoft would ban it (unless they live under a big dense rock)?