Problem What PC specs I need?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Internuntius

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

Excuse my bad English, I can not do it and use the Google Translator to write. Therefore I ask you to answer in a very simple English.

The problem:

No matter which pack to version 1.7.10 I use, here I always have 40 - 200 FPS. But now I want to play packages for MC 1.10 or MC 1.12. Here I always get only 1 - 2 FPS. No matter what package.

What kind of PC do I need for these modpacks?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
1.10 and higher packs require an average 6gigs of ram for minecraft alone. This is the hardware gate most are running up against.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
@Cptqrk is correct, memory is probably the biggest requirement change since 1.7.10, but in case anyone else out there wants more info, these are the traits I'd look for in newer systems:

1). Full 64-bit system. This includes the Hardware (CPU), the Operating System and Java. 32-bits isn't capable of using the required memory anymore.

2). Fast CPU Speed. Minecraft has not yet updated to use Multi-core CPUs.

3). Graphics. Avoid integrated graphics like the plague... It slows system performance and reduces the amount of system ram available.

4). Storage. This really only effects load speeds. Not important, but nice :D

I don't like gaming laptops. The good ones cost at least twice what a comparable desktop does, are heavy and have limited I/O options.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
2). Fast CPU Speed.
I would change that to clock speed per core or something like that. Its probably the best to try and avoid as much possible confusion as possible.

Also, I would try to go with a 4 core CPU (or at the very least a 2 core CPU with 4 threads). More cores would be nice but far from necessary. The only reason you want some extra cores is to make Minecraft able to fully utilize a single core without having to share this with other processes. (Like your OS, perhaps the browser and music player or other software that is running.).

1.7.10 I use, here I always have 40 - 200 FPS
MC 1.10 or MC 1.12. Here I always get only 1 - 2 FPS
That is a significant drop. I wonder if it isn't caused by some setting that is wrong or something along those lines.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
@Cptqrk is correct, memory is probably the biggest requirement change since 1.7.10, but in case anyone else out there wants more info, these are the traits I'd look for in newer systems:

1). Full 64-bit system. This includes the Hardware (CPU), the Operating System and Java. 32-bits isn't capable of using the required memory anymore.

2). Fast CPU Speed. Minecraft has not yet updated to use Multi-core CPUs.

3). Graphics. Avoid integrated graphics like the plague... It slows system performance and reduces the amount of system ram available.

4). Storage. This really only effects load speeds. Not important, but nice :D

I don't like gaming laptops. The good ones cost at least twice what a comparable desktop does, are heavy and have limited I/O options.

Honestly, CPU and GPU aren't as important imo.
I'm currently running Horizons 3 (1.12 pack) on an ok laptop. an i3-5005U and integrated Intel 5500 graphics. The only "good" about it is the 16gb of ram it has.

Currently runs the pack at 55-60 fps. (Of course, not at the higest settings, but decent)

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
I'm currently running Horizons 3 (1.12 pack) on an ok laptop

I believe that was one of the things the team put a lot of focus on, to make the pack work on older / less powerful hardware - so that is perhaps the case on this pack.

But most other packs are demanding more resources from your hardware, CPU, Ram, GPU and storage.
Having bad deliverance on any of these (1 or all), can cause bottle necks - if lucky and the bottle neck is in the "right place" it can still be playable.

This is based on facts, logs and performance measurements - opinions are good, but not really that important in a question about what specs are needed.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I would change that to clock speed per core or something like that. Its probably the best to try and avoid as much possible confusion as possible.

Also, I would try to go with a 4 core CPU (or at the very least a 2 core CPU with 4 threads). More cores would be nice but far from necessary. The only reason you want some extra cores is to make Minecraft able to fully utilize a single core without having to share this with other processes. (Like your OS, perhaps the browser and music player or other software that is running.).

That is a significant drop. I wonder if it isn't caused by some setting that is wrong or something along those lines.

4 cores is kind of standard these days, unless you're buying someone's used junk from ebay... Even the new phones are generally quad core :D

My point is that more cores == more heat... When multiple cores exist on a single die the overall clock speed has to be reduced because of heat generation. I've seen cases where dual core CPUs overclock better and outperform quad core CPUs because of this quirk of physics and face it... very few games (if any) truly use multicore processing yet..

Ignoring the slower clock speed of the classic CPUs, I've seen original 8-bit CPUs back in the day overclock to nearly triple the base frequency with proper cooling... in 1978 we had a 4Mhz Z-80 running CP/m at 12Mhz (250%) with a huge (for that time) heat sink installed. Nowadays a 10% increase is considered a great result :D