What mods need in-depth tutorials?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
Bees, Mariculture, Trees, Blood Magic, AE (Gonna be even worse for AE2), RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft.

A lot of the newer mods need be less assuming about the level of some users, while older mods need to get off their stool and admit that they need more information put into the actual mod IMVHFO.

Reactions: RealSketch

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Bees, Mariculture, Trees, Blood Magic, AE (Gonna be even worse for AE2), RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft.

A lot of the newer mods need be less assuming about the level of some users, while older mods need to get off their stool and admit that they need more information put into the actual mod IMVHFO.
Gonna agree with Mariculture and Trees, the rest are actually pretty well documented. Actually, Mariculture is fairly well documented as well. Bees, as a reminder, have NEI support and are pretty easy to understand. Even trees are barely any harder then bees.
Now, Butterflies, on the other hand... They need details, and could use some serious explanations.

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
Ahem! You realize that @Padfoote has created a a perfectly good and excellently detailed guide to Blood Magic. I doubt watching 10 min videos is better than reading. You know it is scientifically proven that reading something instead of watching it is more memorable.

Anyway, apart from that. Welcome to the forums! :)
Not true, people like me learn better from watching not reading.
and blood magic would be cool.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Not true, people like me learn better from watching not reading.
and blood magic would be cool.

Vaygrim's T1-T2 tutorial.
Vaygrim's T3 tutorial.
Ako's tutorial - Part 1.
Ako's tutorial - Part 2.
Ako's tutorial - Part 3.
Ako tutorial - Part 4.

Ako covers the spell and potion systems, which is one of the least covered features of Blood Magic. Vaygrim is covering EVERYTHING in each tier, and currently has only gotten to T3. I recommend both series, they're both excellent coverage of Blood Magic.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magicka 2. Specifically, the energy system needs some SERIOUS documentation--whether in text or visual form. Apparently the batteries, nexuses, and machines need to be above the y-level of the nexus to function? And have to be in a direct line with each other--except when they don't? And sometimes even after you set everything up exactly the way you've set it up several times before, it will arbitrarily decide not to work? I've run headfirst into this sort of headache quite a bit in trying to play Magic World 2, and it feels like slamming my head against the wall. The Oculus, spell system, and infinity orb systems are fairly self-explanatory, but the other aspects of the mod are in sore need of some explanation.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magicka 2. Specifically, the energy system needs some SERIOUS documentation--whether in text or visual form. Apparently the batteries, nexuses, and machines need to be above the y-level of the nexus to function? And have to be in a direct line with each other--except when they don't? And sometimes even after you set everything up exactly the way you've set it up several times before, it will arbitrarily decide not to work? I've run headfirst into this sort of headache quite a bit in trying to play Magic World 2, and it feels like slamming my head against the wall. The Oculus, spell system, and infinity orb systems are fairly self-explanatory, but the other aspects of the mod are in sore need of some explanation.
THIS
OH GOD YES
PRAISE FLIPZ
PRAISE FLIPZ FOR REMEMBERING ARS MAGICA
PRAISE FLIPZ FOR REMINDING ME I SUCK AT FIGURING OUT ENERGY SYSTEM
(In short, thank you for suggesting this, why has no one said this yet?)

Reactions: Padfoote and Flipz

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I think blood magic has enough tutorials for now. You should def go for RoC and if you can, reactorcraft.

IMHO, you should do a video that convers the basic of the power, the different engines and the necessary machine to go through the tech tree (fermenter, grinder, (the one that loads spring that i forgot the name), fractionation unit, bedrock breaker, pulse jet furnace then compactor) then amother video on the other machines and how to power them (pump, boring machine, friction heater, lava smeltery, rock melter, spawner controller, extractor, both sprinkler, fans, item vaccuum) and a video on the defence, surveyance and random tools.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I will look at this mods but to be honest I know nothing of them. I am playing on a server with them on so maybe we can figure out between us how they work exactly in details and then go with them.

abaga129

Jul 29, 2019
Mariculture. There is virtually nothing about it on the wiki :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Please don't do bees, they've been done too many times. Bees are easy once you know how it works and if you're willing to go to the wiki and look up the species formulas. Do trees instead. I just spent a day going thru every Item#13384 Forestry saplings (and Extra Trees but they are labeled as Forestry) in Monster Pack and cross-referenced the breeding into a spreadsheet. I'm sure someone has already done this, but when I search youtube and google I find very little info at all on trees. Unlike bees, there is no "Tree Wiki" where you can go and look up all the different species combinations. Nor is there any good info out there on how cross-breeding for trees works, what we should be doing and looking for amongst the various genetic traits, and how to combine them into something better. I'm still using "stock" Chestnut trees for my seed oil, but I know I can improve on the traits and get a better tree somehow.

It's actually been very fun, not having a tutorial or "spoiler" wiki to reference. I'm having to figure it out on my own, although if it wasn't for NEI I'd be totally lost as usual. :) NEI is kinda cheating too, since I can (and did) spend a few hours going thru all 121 species and looking at the breeding recipes. Now I have to create all of em. That's the tedious part. :)

Reactions: Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
THIS
OH GOD YES
PRAISE FLIPZ
PRAISE FLIPZ FOR REMEMBERING ARS MAGICA
PRAISE FLIPZ FOR REMINDING ME I SUCK AT FIGURING OUT ENERGY SYSTEM
(In short, thank you for suggesting this, why has no one said this yet?)
Ask me. I may be the only person on the site who knows what I'm doing, since I used it constantly in AM(1). But then again, maybe don't ask me. It's not like I know it perfectly. I have a seriously good grasp on what I'm doing, but I'm not perfect but yes, I have a decent idea what I'm doing. It hasn't changed that much since AM(1), it's mostly the addition of light and dark essence types, even even then, they existed in AM(1) but were less important then too.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking