What kind of specs would you need

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
To run any FTB modpack with SEUS shaders and 128x textures (chroma hills if that matters) at 60FPS. And after I'm done crying, how about 30FPS reliably?

I have an R9 390 and I'm guessing that part is fine, but my cheap mid-range processor is what's probably holding me back? I don't know how to know what's the video card and what's the processor.

I just had to downgrade everything to 32x with internal shaders to keep up around 45-50 FPS at this point. This is in a room with a massive slime spawner and buildcraft-based autosorter that sorts every item I've run into so far, so I could be lagging myself out with that, but generally can't keep it running more than 25 FPS with all that enabled in less intensive areas.

Is this something where I can spend $250-$300 on a new processor and be good, or are we talking about next time I buy a PC some day in a couple of years when parts get cheap kind of thing?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
In 90% of cases involving Minecraft performance, processor is the bottleneck. The game is just a massive hog on processing and until very recently has been relegated to single threading, which doesn't help anyone.

I won't pretend to quote you a price or offer a spec to aim for, but if you're building your dream machine to run what you've described, make sure you do what you can to alleviate the processor bottleneck.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Here's the thing. Yes, Processor is a huge bottleneck because, well, Java. But with 128x and shaders? You're going to want a top-end graphics card as well. You can get a GeForce GTX 10 series card for like $150 if you shop around. For example, this one.

My suggestion to you is to get a better proc first and see how that works out for you. I'd suggest something clocking at least 3.0GHz because multithreading is not really a thing yet for Minecraft, so you're going to want per-proc power to handle Minecraft.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Eh, that's already taking it too far for my pockets. I do think I would benefit from a bit more processing power, though. it's less about building my dream machine and more about seeing whether or not I'm close enough to it.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
To run any FTB modpack with SEUS shaders and 128x textures (chroma hills if that matters) at 60FPS. And after I'm done crying, how about 30FPS reliably?

I have an R9 390 and I'm guessing that part is fine, but my cheap mid-range processor is what's probably holding me back? I don't know how to know what's the video card and what's the processor.

I just had to downgrade everything to 32x with internal shaders to keep up around 45-50 FPS at this point. This is in a room with a massive slime spawner and buildcraft-based autosorter that sorts every item I've run into so far, so I could be lagging myself out with that, but generally can't keep it running more than 25 FPS with all that enabled in less intensive areas.

Is this something where I can spend $250-$300 on a new processor and be good, or are we talking about next time I buy a PC some day in a couple of years when parts get cheap kind of thing?

It all depends on what hardware you have now... If you just have a slower current generation CPU then you could probably upgrade to a faster version and be ok, but if you have, for example, a system that runs DDR2 memory the chances are y
Here's the thing. Yes, Processor is a huge bottleneck because, well, Java. But with 128x and shaders? You're going to want a top-end graphics card as well. You can get a GeForce GTX 10 series card for like $150 if you shop around. For example, this one.

My suggestion to you is to get a better proc first and see how that works out for you. I'd suggest something clocking at least 3.0GHz because multithreading is not really a thing yet for Minecraft, so you're going to want per-proc power to handle Minecraft.

First, we need to see the current specs of the machine... A better CPU does no good if he buys an I7 to plug into an AM3+ socket :D

Also, depending on system age, a new mainboard may be in order to use a new CPU and DDR4 ram, plus the ram to put in it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not at home so I can't get you the specifics, but I can tell you what I can:

I built it less than a year ago. probably march or february. All new parts picked by some website that helps you pick parts, I don't remember what it was, it was recommended to me. The whole package cost about a grand, no monitor. All individual pieces.

It's an i5, but I don't know much beyond that. quad core 3.5 ghz I believe. Could be 3.0.

graphics card is an R9 390

I have no idea what AM3+ is, lol. My motherboard is something that reminded me of LBGT, lol.

This is what you have to deal with right now, lol.

16Gb of ram, 8gb VRAM, so I don't think that's the problem at all.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Wait, searched through my email for reciepts, I have the info.

Intel BX80646I54460 Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad Core LGA1150 Processor

ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard 1

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Wait, searched through my email for reciepts, I have the info.

Intel BX80646I54460 Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad Core LGA1150 Processor

ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard 1

AM3+ is AMD's CPU socket standard :D I use AMD for cost reasons and at the time an equivalent Intel CPU was $500 more expensive.

Your best bet, cost-wise, might be to get a faster I5 CPU, followed by upgrading the ram to at least 8GB if you don't have that much already, 16GB would be better since you mentioned a texture pack.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I have 16gb of RAM and 8 gigs of video RAM. That was in the previous post. :p

But, are you confirming that the chip is the bottleneck right here? In case you missed it, the video card is up there, too. R9 390, which I feel is pretty decent, but this stuff can get confusing.

When buying a processor, I don't get the way these things are priced. I see one chip running at 4ghz and nother chip running at 3, and the 3ghz chip ends up being like 5 times more expensive. I just don't get it, lol.

KaosC57

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a light basis for what you would most likely want for something like that.

i5-6600k. Overclock it for around 4.0Ghz
16 to 32 GB of System RAM with a minimum of 8GB allocated to Minecraft.
A GTX 980Ti/AMD R9 390X or above (I'd recommend a GTX 1070 or 1080 personally)
An SSD to run Minecraft on. (Faster load times.)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Here's a light basis for what you would most likely want for something like that.

i5-6600k. Overclock it for around 4.0Ghz
16 to 32 GB of System RAM with a minimum of 8GB allocated to Minecraft.
A GTX 980Ti/AMD R9 390X or above (I'd recommend a GTX 1070 or 1080 personally)
An SSD to run Minecraft on. (Faster load times.)

OK, I think now we're talking. I was looking at an i7 on amazon that is compatible with my MB (pasted below because it messed up the formatting)

I have an AMD R9 390, but without the X. I hope that X isn't a huge difference because I'm not upgrading both.

I have the ram and SSD already. So if my graphics card is up to it, I thin this chip oughtta do it:

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) BX80646I74790K

KaosC57

Jul 29, 2019
OK, I think now we're talking. I was looking at an i7 on amazon that is compatible with my MB (pasted below because it messed up the formatting)

I have an AMD R9 390, but without the X. I hope that X isn't a huge difference because I'm not upgrading both.

I have the ram and SSD already. So if my graphics card is up to it, I thin this chip oughtta do it:

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) BX80646I74790K

At this point, you'd be better off going to a Kabylake in early 2017. The i5-7600k will be more powerful than the 4790k I'm fairly sure. You will, at that point need a new Mobo and new RAM though. And, you really should upgrade your GPU, the 390 was good for it's time, but the 1070 kicks the crap out of it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
At this point, you'd be better off going to a Kabylake in early 2017. The i5-7600k will be more powerful than the 4790k I'm fairly sure. You will, at that point need a new Mobo and new RAM though. And, you really should upgrade your GPU, the 390 was good for it's time, but the 1070 kicks the crap out of it.

The whole point is to see if I can get this done without upgrading the rest. If it comes down to a new MB, ram and graphics card, I'll just stick with 32x and no shaders. That chip is on sale right now for $335 and by the time I'm seriously considering this, like tax time, then it may be even cheaper or there might be another alternative.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Hoo boy, I made some progress last night!

I spent a solid 3 hours going through every option optifine had to offer, one-by-one until I squashed all of the worst FPS killers, boosting everything that doesn't hurt to the max. Now, at 64x textures and internal shader, I'm rocking a solid 90FPS. With 128x and SEUS, I'm running at around 23-27 FPS.

The difference is MASSIVE. The biggest culprit was animated terrain, but that's also the only one I'll miss. This is in the laggiest room on the server, which includes a massive buildcraft sorter that sorts literally every item in the game that can be sorted, into 38 different categories, connected directly to a 64x64 quarry (keeps those chunks loaded) via ender chest. As well as triple chunk slime spawner with over 3000 spawnable surfaces complete with diamond and gold spike/vacuum hoppper based mob grinding, and a 4-chamber mob spawner/juicer. That's a goddamn stress test and I'm capping the FPS at 90 so it stays stable.

I think upgrading that chip might just do what I want it to do. I feel like theoretically, if the new chip is 30% faster, at the very least, it'll be a bankable 30 FPS with the SEUS and Chroma Hills.