What is the point of steam boilers now?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm just tarded but... I'm trying to come up with a main power source for my base I was gonna do the big boiler with ethanol however. They don't connect to my Te3 stuff? Then I found out Mj doesn't go into Rf but Rf goes to MJ so now I'm really confused. Is there a way to make my boiler work or is it now really pointless. I really don't wanna do nether lava as I feel it's really cheap and not very original any help please?

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
But if I wanted to use the industrial steam engine at 8.0Mj/t how would I go from that to make it useable by Te3? I mean I'd rather not use the Te3 engine as it's boring and doesn't sound nearly as bad ass.

Reactions: unknown zombie

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You would need some sort of power converter to do that, whether it be through the actual mod by that name, or by using the energy to generate oil or lava through MFR(?) to be used in the dynamos at a loss of energy.

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
That really sucks :/ I'm on defualt direwolf20 pack with mfr disabled because it's ungodly broken. so I guess I'll just use boring old te3 dynamos :'(

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
But if I wanted to use the industrial steam engine at 8.0Mj/t how would I go from that to make it useable by Te3? I mean I'd rather not use the Te3 engine as it's boring and doesn't sound nearly as bad ass.
The TE3 Dynamos doesnt animate or play sounds specifically because it is trying to keep server/client load at a minimum. Which is a very noble goal IMO. But yeah at some point you start loosing the "fun" factor of it all.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion 3's Steam Dynamo can accept steam too. They output up to 80 RF per tick which is equivalent to 8 MJ per tick. RailCraft's Industrial Steam Engine outputs 8 MJ per tick too, so TE3's Steam Dynamo is what you are looking for.

If you prefer to use RC's engines because they are more "badass", you can try to use those and see if they work with Ender IO or not, assuming your pack has them.

And iirc, MFR also got some new steam generator block that accepts steam and output in mj or rf?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

muckrake

Jul 29, 2019
One possibility - takes a little work, but kinda fun: you can create an "MJ Converter" using the Engineer's Toolbox mod. Once you have the basic Engineer's Toolbox stuff setup, it doesn't take much to crank out a few converters. I found a great tutorial that walks you through it step by step:

Can be used to, for example, run steam from boiler to Commercial Steam Engines, and then convert that to RF to fill up Redstone Energy Cells quickly. There are other converters too in the modpacks, but this is the one I ran across and tried. Definitely works.

Reactions: Bashful Giant

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Mekanism universal cable will allow you to connect BC/RC engines into you RF network. The most recent updates have been very stable for me.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Mekanism universal cable will allow you to connect BC/RC engines into you RF network. The most recent updates have been very stable for me.
I too will recommend Mekanism but since this is posted on General FTB Chat and not mods discussion, I will try to keep it within the packs and not recommend mods outside the pack.s :p

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
TE3's steam dynamos work beautifully with boilers!

I do Boiler --> railcraft tank --> dynamos.

And with railcraft's steam turbine, I get EU power too!

I don't think I'm ready to decommission my boiler just yet :D

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
If you're playing on monster and want to try something different, you could probably pipe the steam on a steam grate to power up a Reactorcraft turbine and then convert power as you need.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Not sure which pack you're on, is power converters disabled by default on it?

If not, you can just use an energy bridge to convert. The wiki says you can convert steam directly, but that's pretty much nonsense. MJ <-> RF works fine though.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Not sure which pack you're on, is power converters disabled by default on it?

If not, you can just use an energy bridge to convert. The wiki says you can convert steam directly, but that's pretty much nonsense. MJ <-> RF works fine though.

DW20 doesn't have power converters, and unless I'm missing something in your post, you can only go from RF to MJ, not the other way around.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
One possibility - takes a little work, but kinda fun: you can create an "MJ Converter" using the Engineer's Toolbox mod.

This. A million times this. They're easy(ish) to get to, require some tech progression and don't derp or lag up the world anywhere near as much as energy bridges seem to do.

NVM. No Engineer's Toolbox in DW20 :(

unless I'm missing something in your post, you can only go from RF to MJ, not the other way around.

The latest Power Converters mod allows both conversion from and to RF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Agreed, Extra Utilities is the best option without MFR.

That said, I'd go so far as to say add Engineer's Toolbox just for this purpose, even though the other things you can do with it are also completely worth having it.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Am I missing somthing? Aren't TE Steam Dynamos and RC Industrial Steam Engines essentially the same thing except for cosmetics and output?

Short of using a BigReactor because of how ridiculously good they are, a Steam Boiler is still a VERY efficient way to go to produce a lot of STEAM.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I was under the impression that a TE Energy Conduit would connect to a railcraft steam engine and pass the power as RF.