What is the point of steam boilers now?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
Wow thank you everyone for the replies I think I'm gonna try the extra utilities route. Really want to use industrial steam engines I love the look and the sound. I don't mind the rf steam dynamos and I agree with what they do but cinputer performance is not an issue if mine. I'm going for aesthetics. Trying to avoid adding mods so people don't have to add for my server. Trying to keep it simple for everyone. Thank you all though for all the suggestions! :)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Maybe I'm just tarded but... I'm trying to come up with a main power source for my base I was gonna do the big boiler with ethanol however. They don't connect to my Te3 stuff? Then I found out Mj doesn't go into Rf but Rf goes to MJ so now I'm really confused. Is there a way to make my boiler work or is it now really pointless. I really don't wanna do nether lava as I feel it's really cheap and not very original any help please?
boiler to steam dynamo is quite dynamic!

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
I know you can do that. The original question was I didn't want to use that engine I wanted to use several industrial steam engines. It's been answered though I'm gonna play around with extra utilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
Haha yeah I for sure thought about hiding the rf dynamos just so you could only see industrial lol.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, TE is easy mode compared to Railcraft in terms of energy. Not sure why anyone would try to mix them.

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
I like rf conduits I don't like engines I like TE machines for something's I like ic2 for others lol. I like making things harder it's more fun when the project succeeds than just slapping up some lava like everyone does. They both have positives that's why I mix them.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Single boilers (I mean single block, smallest possible) are actually fantastic for powering small purpose-built machines. I try to stay away from centralizing all my power and feeding everything from one source, so I actually use boilers quite a bit still :)

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
I used to like reactor turbines from atomic science with a steam boiler but recent changes made the turbines Derp.

my new source of power generations im looking into is Big reactors, seem they also can generate steam now so seems my next server By by railcraft since it was only installed for the steam boiler

also big reactor now has a power generation system to run off the steam it makes to

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I used to like reactor turbines from atomic science with a steam boiler but recent changes made the turbines Derp.

my new source of power generations im looking into is Big reactors, seem they also can generate steam now so seems my next server By by railcraft since it was only installed for the steam boiler

also big reactor now has a power generation system to run off the steam it makes to
This reminds me, I should use Atomic Science for my steam power source. Steam Funnels, Ho!

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
This reminds me, I should use Atomic Science for my steam power source. Steam Funnels, Ho!
but i just said they don't work any more o_O the mod author removed reactor turbines from it there called now electric turbines and even in creative mod pumping massive amounts of steam into one with creative tanks it still barely works

see this thread
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/atomic-science-electric-turbines-nerfed.42365/

Edit: ,miss read now see you want to use them to make steam.

i dont know i find that sort of inefficient since the mod is buggy and also some of those power plants are more intense then other means for steam sources

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
but i just said they don't work any more o_O the mod author removed reactor turbines from it there called now electric turbines and even in creative mod pumping massive amounts of steam into one with creative tanks it still barely works

see this thread
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/atomic-science-electric-turbines-nerfed.42365/

Edit: ,miss read now see you want to use them to make steam.

i dont know i find that sort of inefficient since the mod is buggy and also some of those power plants are more intense then other means for steam sources

What I did was run steam dynamos off a single nuclear reactor by having 6 steam funnels with powered fluiducts drawing steam out. Got the reactor up to 20k steam/t reliably at roughly 6k-8k RF/t. Course I am not on the bleeding edge download so who knows? I abandoned turbines when they made noise and required specific orientation.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Since the change with Big Reactors 0.3 I can get all the steam I need to generate EU and RF power. I have it running my Railcraft turbine, Gregtech Large steam turbines and a Big Reactor steam turbine are really efficient.

Reactions: Padfoote

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, TE is easy mode compared to Railcraft in terms of energy. Not sure why anyone would try to mix them.
I still like running a boiler and slapping TE Steam Dynamos on it. Feeding one boiler with water and (endless supply of) charcoal is less of a pain than setting up water and fuel pipes for 18 dynamos. Plus I like the look of those big grey boilers :)

nukularpowerr

Jul 29, 2019
I had this problem myself. Frankly, I strongly dislike TE all around, for the most part - it's very boring to me in the same way AE is. I actually use Railcraft for most of my item transport, so I really wanted the noisy, clanking engines on my boiler.

I found the simplest solution to this is to install the mod Mekanism. It has a battery block called an Energy Cube, you only need 1 of them. It accepts MJ as input and can output any type of power, including RF - very useful. You don't even need all of the modules of Mekanism, just Core and Engines (or something like that, forget what the machine module is called), though I also like to install the Tools module, as it causes zombies and skeletons to have gear way more often, making them much more interesting to fight.

It's much easier than the EnderIO method - just place one block, hook it up to kinesis pipes on the input and conduits on the output, connect the conduits to your cells, and done.

the8cell

Jul 29, 2019
The TE3 engines are not as efficient as the railcraft ones.

Converting from MJ into RF has two lossless ways to do it that I know of:

Mfr lava fabricator > magmatic dynamo (which has the advantage of, if you store the extra lava, being a good buffer for power)

Or using the ExtraUtilities energy transfer nodes, which are in my opinion the only way you should ever transmit RF.

Creating a separate mystcraft age or base or whatever that contains your tree farm, boilers, and a line of industrial steam engines going into wooden power pipes that connect to a line of either good or diamond power pipes that ends in a power node, powering a teaseract is the best way to go in my opinion since all of the things I just mentioned are total lag monsters and noisy to boot.

Those transfer nodes are amazing. One of them can connect your entire base.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The TE3 engines are not as efficient as the railcraft ones.

Converting from MJ into RF has two lossless ways to do it that I know of:

Mfr lava fabricator > magmatic dynamo (which has the advantage of, if you store the extra lava, being a good buffer for power)

Or using the ExtraUtilities energy transfer nodes, which are in my opinion the only way you should ever transmit RF.

Creating a separate mystcraft age or base or whatever that contains your tree farm, boilers, and a line of industrial steam engines going into wooden power pipes that connect to a line of either good or diamond power pipes that ends in a power node, powering a teaseract is the best way to go in my opinion since all of the things I just mentioned are total lag monsters and noisy to boot.

Those transfer nodes are amazing. One of them can connect your entire base.
There is also, oh, I don't know, the TE3 Redstone Energy Conduits, which can accept (unless I've derped again) MJ and output RF. There is also Energy Cubes from Mek. Any mod that stores more the one type of power and can output more the one type of power(so a lot of MFR machines technically fall in this group, except getting the power out isn't as easy).
Also isn't EnderIO able to do this?

Not to mention Power Converters which is 100% lossless energy transmission from any system to another(somehow including steam, as an aside)... There are tons of options, honestly. And the only important bit is that you get 10 RF per MJ, which is the "correct" cost for this conversion.

And I'm not even mentioning my favorite mod for this!

Also I wouldn't only use Energy Transfer Nodes to power my base even if they cost dirt yet were just as good as they are now. A MUCH better option is EnderIO with the fact that you can send 7 (IIRC) types of things through one block(but it still takes 7 types of "pipes" to do this). Unless those Energy Transfer Conduits can send 20,480 RF a tick, several buckets of liquids, tons of items, connect my stuff to my AE network, and fit under a microblock cover...
Yeah, I'm good.