What hardware do you use? :D

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
X

xMightyMeatballx

I'm really excited seeing how many people are interested in this thread. As an update, i havent replied to this thread in a couple days because i just bought an SSD and i needed to install windows, and drivers, and everything else. But its working now :D

C

Cornette1989

I7 4790k CPU
GTX 970 GPU
16Gb RAM
Gigabyte UD3H Motherboard
EVGA Gold Rated 850W PSU
NZXT H630 CASE
Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
250GB Samsung 840evo
1TB Western Digital Black

It just had its 1 year old birthday about a month ago.

I need more RAM... I always end up using multiple programs like YouTube, Photoshop, FTB Servers, FTB, and several web pages all at the same time. I see myself using 14 gigs A LOT. It's time to get 16 more I believe!

Last edited:

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
I7 4790k CPU
GTX 970 GPU
16Gb RAM
Gigabyte UD3H Motherboard
EVGA Gold Rated 850W PSU
NZXT H630 CASE
Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
250GB Samsung 840evo
1TB Western Digital Black

It just had its 1 year old birthday about a month ago.

I need more RAM... I always end up using multiple programs like YouTube, Photoshop, FTB Servers, FTB, and several web pages all at the same time. I see myself using 14 gigs A LOT. It's time to get 16 more I believe!

Could you lower the font size and disable bold type please? We can hear you loud and clear:p

Anyway, awesome rig.

Bluefox009

Jul 29, 2019
I had a question, I'm currently fiddling aims with parts list so I can save up to build a pc. I was looking at i5 for cpu but was wanting suggestions for that and the gpu. My budget is around the $600 mark but willing to go to around $800. Mainly I play modpacks for minecraft and wouldn't mind being able to play other games. Thanks for any help you can give

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

C

Cornette1989

Could you lower the font size and disable bold type please? We can hear you loud and clear:p

Anyway, awesome rig.
Thanks, and sorry for the over sized font. I have trouble reading the normal sized font, so I always amplify it.

C

Cornette1989

I had a question, I'm currently fiddling aims with parts list so I can save up to build a pc. I was looking at i5 for cpu but was wanting suggestions for that and the gpu. My budget is around the $600 mark but willing to go to around $800. Mainly I play modpacks for minecraft and wouldn't mind being able to play other games. Thanks for any help you can give

Take a look at the GTX 950 ---

If it were me building a 600$ system I would use a AMD cpu ---

For instance, pairing a AMD FX-6300 6 CORE with a GTX 960 or 970 might be a better option for FPS as concern. However if you need the CPU power, Intel all day long.

X

xMightyMeatballx

Agreed. Though an i3 would do Minecraft fine as well I believe.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019

Any idea what other games you may play?

Also, I have seen AMD 280's go for around $160 new (and I think 280x's for a little more), so if you want to keep cost low that would be a good choice.

C

Cornette1989

Agreed. Though an i3 would do Minecraft fine as well I believe.

The only problem with the I3 is that it's a dual core. If you want to play minecraft and do anything else at the same time, you will need the extra cores.

X

xMightyMeatballx

The only problem with the I3 is that it's a dual core. If you want to play minecraft and do anything else at the same time, you will need the extra cores.

True but for a budget build its a good choice. He could make an i5 fit the budget, but itd be harder

gold49

Jul 29, 2019

The i3 still has great single core performance (what is mainly needed in Minecraft) on a budget and due to hyperthreading can perform in multicore stuff ok. Even when I played on a pentuim at one point running other programs did not bring Minecraft to a grinding halt (or atleast significantly worse than it already was).
i5 would be ideal, but I would not recommend that myself without atleast a $700 budget (and that would be the lower end h97 i5s)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
That budget is about what my cost was. Something to keep in mind is to watch Newegg for sales. Between conventional sales and their daily Shell Shockers, you can occasionally get some pretty massive discounts. 3btech.net is another exceptional site. They're relatively small, but they have some of the best customer service I've ever seen.

To wit: I ordered a motherboard I thought would support my FX-6300. It turned out that the Revision 2.0 board would, but the one they had was Revision 1.0. After contacting customer service, they not only showed me the correct board, but waved the restocking fee for the old one, since I had already purchased the new one.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The only change I'd suggest is this video card:MSI GeForce GTX 970 It's the 970 version of the one I have and it's almost absurdly quiet. Plus it's a little cheaper and looks absurdly cool. It's also got a twenty-dollar mail in rebate at the moment.

It is much shorter than the one you picked, if that was a consideration when selecting the case. I also personally recommend Seagate HDD's over WD, but that's just me.

Bluefox009

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason I chose the gigabyte version is I heard it runs a bit faster but I'll look into that more. I was at a toss up on the hard drive so I'm not really stuck on the WD one. With the case I've read really good reviews for it but size was a factor. Thanks for the tips! Anyone have other suggestions? Sorry for typing errors I'm on my phone.

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
I too would go with the Seagate drives if not using Solid State as I have nothing but rave reviews for it. With Western Digital, I have not had the best of luck with them with returning no less than three drives for warranty replacement in a space of four years. My Seagate has lasted me longer and still runs flawlessly. One thing I would watch out is the slight possible incomparability shown with your motherboard and chipset.

My current set-up is as follows: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/fqdKWZ

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've got a Seagate that's 8GB and around twenty years old now. It still fires up. I've had WD's that didn't make a year.

Unless you're going absolute bleeding edge on a 4k monitor, I don't think the 50Mhz is worth the additional cost. Plus there are a lot of bad reviews about the Gigabyte card on Newegg. In particular fan issues, which are the last thing you want on a video card. One review got the MSI card up to 1500+ without voltage adjustment if Overclocking is your thing.

Bluefox009

Jul 29, 2019
I'll prolly tweak the set up a bit more since I'm still saving up for it. I do appreciate the suggestions and with the compatibility note on motherboard it depends on how old the ones they have in stock are. .I may change it tho