What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Now I know this, i'm going to find a way to mass produce the parts.

Bedrock is easy to do.
Nether stars are fairly simple too (withering bees to make the heads, auto-killers are ten a penny these days)
Awakened Draconium is the sticky one. I need to kill Ender Dragons to get hearts for the ritual. Unless there's another way?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I just learned (from http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Nightshade) that Nightshades will operate all day if they're underground or otherwise happily in darkness, rather than just at "night". Why on earth have I been making dayblooms to get my botania worlds started?

But that's so...abusable!

Almost like planting thermalilies on those floating platform thingies so lava won't destroy them, then just using an export bus to keep a lava source block on hand for whenever they're ready to generate again :3

artubi

Jul 29, 2019
I have found that I can get "one shotted" by hardcore wither even though I am wearing fully charged IC2 QuantumSuit with Protection X.

Reactions: Greystoke

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
And that, children, is why I have multiple layers of protection other than armour: genetic modifications, pendants, heart canisters, ChromatiCraft abilities...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
After much frustration I figured out that Rotarycraft Fermenters cool down at night(causing Yeast to die), but only if they are "outside".
And "outside" appears to mean that they have a solid block above them. Carpenter's blocks don't count(leading to more confusion :p).

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
How exactly does having a solid block on top mean it's outside? If anything, that should mean it's in a cave or something. Mods and their quirks...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
How exactly does having a solid block on top mean it's outside? If anything, that should mean it's in a cave or something. Mods and their quirks...

I am guessing it is the best compromise between properly checking if it is "outside"(aka is there a roof, if so then there are probably walls too) and not wasting a ton of processing on checking a bunch of things. It would have worked perfectly in my case had I not made part of the roof out of carpenter's blocks(counted as transparent I think).

Is probably done the same way as solar panels work(just evaluates for the inverse), which apparently can be done somewhat lightweight if done right: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/56m623/are_solar_panels_laggy/d8kfgcq

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
After much frustration I figured out that Rotarycraft Fermenters cool down at night(causing Yeast to die), but only if they are "outside".
And "outside" appears to mean that they have a solid block above them. Carpenter's blocks don't count(leading to more confusion :p).
this is also both biome and depth dependant. Generally the deeper you go the warmer the temp is.

Reactions: rhn

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Once you go below Y48 (I think), aye. Also, it might not be checking for a roof so much as it is the block acting as insulation. But, aye, biome and time are fairly significant factors for fermenters. Tis typically why I do a little ChromatiCraft before RoC; heat lamps solve all temperature problems outside being in hell.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I just wasn't doing it right, but I could never get a heat lamp to run the fermenter. It never seemed to want to actually connect to the block.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
It's likely user error then, a lot of my failings with Chromaticraft are just me detping things up, hah.

I'll give it a go in my live-ish test world later, just waiting on the new biome before I really start this world.

Ah see, part of the problem is that I don't even remember what I'm talking about. I've used the fermenter with the heat lamp before with no issue. My problem was with the heat lamp and the composter. However, now it appears to be working as I would expect it to be. Must have been something funky with how I placed it in my old world.

Last edited:

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
That must be it. Apparently during my testing I didn't think to try the bottom, and just tried the other five, nonsolid, faces of the block. This will significantly compact my fuel production set up.