What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Just let me right click the stuff in so I don't have to switch off magnets, or worry about golems, or hopperhocks, or vacuum hoppers, or transfer nodes, or myself standing 1mm too close and picking the shit up before I've dropped everything down.

I agree GUI's on those things would be a bit ugh, but god dammit right-click!!!!

I recommend the mod Practicalities. It has an item magnet that is a lot less annoying than all the others Ive tried and the mod also features a block that disables the effect of it within a certain radius.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Orichacum was also in Skyrim, I forget if Mithril is too or whether that was a mod.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Orichalcum was written about by Plato and other ancient Greek writers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalcum
Adamantine was mentioned by Vergil as what the gates of Tartarus are made from.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamant
Congratulations, you win the history one-upping contest.

But my (DF) adamantine hammer will win my fights! :p
(Joke explanation for those people with lives so sad they have never experienced the majesty of DF)
Adamantine in DF is super sharp but also really light. It's like making a hammer out of pillows.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
It also requires you to breach a literal hellmaw at the bottom of the map...

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
It also requires you to breach a literal hellmaw at the bottom of the map...

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2
And? That's what dwarven atom smashing drawbridge airlocks are for. There isn't an issue.
(less funnily, it's possibly to mine smartly and avoid the Clowns anyway)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
And? That's what dwarven atom smashing drawbridge airlocks are for. There isn't an issue.
(less funnily, it's possibly to mine smartly and avoid the Clowns anyway)
The real question is, is it possible to mine out the whole vein without draining the surrounding magma sea or melting too many dwarves?

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
The real question is, is it possible to mine out the whole vein without draining the surrounding magma sea or melting too many dwarves?
With enough drawbridges and ablative meatshields in the form of cats and nobles valiant warriors?

Yes.

(remember, neither nobles nor cats are actually people, so they don't count towards the death count)

tumblr_mk221fhWpy1r7av8go1_1280.jpg

Disclaimer: That's actually the Elf King of Dwarves, not an actual dwarf, but since he's adopted the entire dwarven mindset it's fine. :p

Sez you with the Dorfputer setup. :p
I haven't actually made a Dorfputer... :(
I've played some DF and I have breached the HFS, but I've never really done anything particularly dorfy. So far, my most dorf-like (mis)adventure was training an army of twenty hammer dwarves with full steel plate armor, who were used to obliterate a goblin "invasion" without more than a bruise or two (I think it was two). When a forgotten beast attacked, I sent them towards it, and all but two died. Whoo! Dwarf Fortress! :p

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
With enough drawbridges and ablative meatshields in the form of cats and nobles valiant warriors?

Yes.

(remember, neither nobles nor cats are actually people, so they don't count towards the death count)

tumblr_mk221fhWpy1r7av8go1_1280.jpg

Disclaimer: That's actually the Elf King of Dwarves, not an actual dwarf, but since he's adopted the entire dwarven mindset it's fine. :p

I haven't actually made a Dorfputer... :(
I've played some DF and I have breached the HFS, but I've never really done anything particularly dorfy. So far, my most dorf-like (mis)adventure was training an army of twenty hammer dwarves with full steel plate armor, who were used to obliterate a goblin "invasion" without more than a bruise or two (I think it was two). When a forgotten beast attacked, I sent them towards it, and all but two died. Whoo! Dwarf Fortress! :p
... so I actually had to scroll back up a few posts in order to find the context for this again. Carry on.