What are your gripes about the start of Modded Minecraft?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
So, a interesting thing i have been wondering, when people start off in modded minecraft, what are the things that you hate?
Things that could be improved.

For example, I personally think chests can be awkward for storing more general things, so a "semi barrel" which may work only for ores but hold more than chests.

Wanting research... for some thing =3

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Wanting research... for some thing =3
Gotcha Poke, wink wink, nudge nudge.

I don't mind the beginning phase. My main issue is portable storage. Saice and I kinda bugged Dave into keeping the backpacks mod in RR for that reason. But in general, portable storage is always an issue.

I may decide to cave for a few bits of iron and other random things before searching for a permanent location. Often I may not run across cows for leather, or not enough to make it worthwhile. Even with backpack mod, Dartcraft, & Forestry, there's nothing to help with portable storage in the first 15 minutes that doesn't require finding the perfect set of resources.

I wouldn't mind something that had very limited inventory slots but heck, 9 extra slots would mean a LOT. That's all I have to offer.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Absolutely nothing, starting out is the best part of the game (unless you play IC2 on its own).

The survival, the digging in at night, the mining, the discovering of the perfect spot, the setting up, the laying out of your base, it's the part I personally enjoy so much.

It's mid to end (if there is such a thing as end game) which needs more work.

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
The fact that mining takes a long, loooong time earlygame to get enough of suitable resources (I usually overclock ore gen in my configs to make it easier).

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, not nearly as much bothers me about the startup as it used to. I use Tinker's Construct for some early game fun, Applied Energistic's Quartz Grindstone to get immediate ore doubling, and then jump right into Thermal Expansion with a Pulverizer and some Stirling Engines to power it.

I think RedBoss is right about storage being an issue though. Some sort of very low tier, easy to make backpack would be great.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
The usual issue I have with early game usually pertains to inventory space, or the lack thereof.
With most mods adding in their own kind of unique ores, inventory space does seem really lacking. As well as lava being used for more things than they do in vanilla, so fluid storage is also important.
What I do though is once I've enough materials, I'll go have a TE3's portable tank (32000mb), a portable strongbox, a Hardended Energy Cell and Mekanism's Electric Pump made.

But I do find that mods that are leather heavy in requirement is my setback. My usual plans doesn't entail luring cows into a pen or even finding a cow in the first place. And as for food, I usually harvest enough seeds from grass to get a small wheat farm going.

So, I would say getting leather early game is an issue for me. :)

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jokermatt999

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Latest iteration of that turns it into monster jerky and not leather, alternate source of food.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I think Tinker's Construct adds a drying rack that can be used to turn rotten flesh into leather, right? It's not quick, but it's cheap and a nice use for an otherwise pointless item (flesh).
It's used by railcraft IIRC for blood stained stone, and it's used for golems in thaumcraft

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I always have two major problems at the start of a new world: steady, renewable food (I don't like killing animals until I know I can breed more fairly easily) and enough string/wool for a bed.

Well, actually, three problems: my starter hovels always end up becoming an unnavigable mess of chests, workrooms, and catacombs; some kind of easy, cheap navigation/organization system would be much appreciated. (I actually have a rather detailed concept I came up with just now, I only need a code person willing to throw themselves at it. ;) )

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Making a bed is the single most annoying thing in the world to do. There's hardly ever any sheep wherever I settle and string is rather scarce to begin with. Natura thankful has cotton plants which help somewhat. I just hate walking all the way back from spawn to wherever my house is since I haven't made a bed yet.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If you mean people who play modded MC for the first time, I would say the single biggest problem could be being overwhelmed by it all. I surely was. I would be nice if there was some ingame description of what each mod does, what notable items it contains and possible where to start on the mod. The NEI category thing functions really oddly and is very confusing IMO.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
my problem in modded minecraft is not really on the mods but deciding how the hell do I start a wooden house or a hole in the ground... without any live stock near me without any reeds cows pigs... it really makes it hard to progress through mods that makes you use some of the more "common" items that dont resort the use of mining... but farming... ranching so on and so forth

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
If you mean people who play modded MC for the first time, I would say the single biggest problem could be being overwhelmed by it all. I surely was. I would be nice if there was some ingame description of what each mod does, what notable items it contains and possible where to start on the mod. The NEI category thing functions really oddly and is very confusing IMO.
No, i mean very early in the tech stage :p
I must have worded it wrong.
To clarify, when you are still playing "vannila" in modded minecraft before you have very much... modded stuff.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'd have to agree with the comments above about early game inventory management.

I'd love to be able to craft some form of storage container out of that cobblestone. A small chest with half the number of slots of a wooden chest. If it can be crafted in a 2x2, saves a crafting table and allows you to dump stuff as you mine, without the need for lugging around extra chests/wood.