What are your gripes about the start of Modded Minecraft?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
My 2 biggest problems starting fresh have to be inventory management and getting started with thaumcraft's research. I have to admit I have no problem cheating myself a backpack or two, especially since the almighty RNG seems to give me worlds devoid of sheep, cows, and cotton.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
lol RNG devoids me of Ars Magica Essence pool just to get started on the mod... as well as lack of the biomes for it if only you can propagate the flowers desert nova, Aum and blue bloom

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
My big problem is for the first hour or two the game is very vanilla. Discovering all the new ores for the first time is pretty cool but you can't use them until you've got a decent set up. I just want some fun stuff to do whilst building shelter or getting wood. Like a new mob or something, but the mob has to truly add something. Maybe a resource that's as important to the early game tech-tree as wood. If it was as essential as wood and fun to aquire it could be good.

Lack of documentation is often a problem in mods (try learning Buildcraft or Mekanism for the first time). I'd always like an ingame tutorial. Hopefully one easily acessible. The Thaumcraft one requires basic knowledge of the mod and the TiC one is too intrusive when starting. I think it's about finding the right balance. I like the way you obtain the Chocopedia, however after awhile I get like a stack of them.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Early game is probably the most fun for me. It's a greenfield and anything is possible. I try to focus on a different mod of playstyle each world, so I look forward to clicking 'Create New World' or starting a server without a world and watching it build from scratch.

But, if pressed, I'd say a selection of 3 chests, and you only get to open/choose 1. Once you open 1 chest, the others blow up, disappear, or turn to grass/dirt with flowers on top ;-)

The chests would roughly:

1. Movement/relocation chest
This is for people who prioritize base location over everything else. It would have a single-use (self-destruct) jetpack, single-use Boots of the Traveler or similar that take durability damage each block you step, and 2 MystCraft Intralinking (same dimension) books with 2 book stands.

2. Survival chest
This for people who hate hunting for wool, renewable food, and don't like building a dirt hovel. It would include wool, a crafting table, 24x-ish seeds, a shovel, hoe and bucket of water, a stack of cobblestone, 16x glass panes, and 2 wooden doors. It would also include a full set of leather armor and a bow with a stack of arrows.

3. Resource chest
Random resources - enough to build the 1st set of machines for (nearly) every ore processing mod with basic (Tier 1) power. Such chest might include, depending upon mods installed:

4x stacks of coal
1x stack each of cobblestone, sand, gravel, and Oak wood
32x each of clay and redstone
32x each of iron, copper, tin, lead, and silver ores
8x gold ore

Also, all chests would include a Thauminomicon if TC is installed. Not sure why we don't get one of those like how we get a TiCo starter book.

Last edited:

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with the whole not being able to get leather (especially if you want to start with Thaumcraft, which requires a BOOKCASE). My first priority for wheat is not a cow farm, but rather my own player's survival. :/

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Leather requirements for everything are by far my least favorite part of modded MC. The alternate TiC recipe helps, but it's still stupid that your RNG spawn determines how well you do with some mods. Maybe a recipe with vines or something like that.

I'd say Ender Pearls are even worse, but that's not exactly starting.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually fine with Ender Pearls since you can actually build a spawning room and get Enderman to spawn, but the same can't be said for sheeps (wool), cows (leather) and chickens (feather).

And as always, rng hates me.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Flipz