Welp, elo's alive

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
So basically what happens is:

People like Dravarden and I have to reset the amount of time it's been since Elo has made contact with anyone
White knights say that it's FER SHER coming out REEL SOON GUISE
It comes out when it does
1.6 is out.

Reactions: Dravarden

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
You know ...

She's like Silent Bob. Jay's all talking and stuff for like hours, and then finally, Bob says something and the room falls silent. Doesn't matter what Bob says either, but the fact he said something is what drops everyone's jaw.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Will probably never happen.

Redpower was first made cos SHE wanted it and not for anyone else.

Don't be ungrateful.

The flipside of this is a tweet does not a release make. Xeno publishes, Eloraam says, "My mod which is almost entirely obsoleted by the modern modded minecraft scene and its format? Yeah the permission I gave FTB before still stands. And sure, kids. Gonna upgrade."

I am grateful to Xeno. I will be grateful to Eloraam when she publishes. Either way, I think it is wrong of a modder to not at least make a closed-public source offering. If you call this ungrateful, so be it. My feelings on this are not–and will not–change just because of Eloraam.

Fahrun

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to see everything is okay! :D

I'm sure she will get to updating when she is available. Not everyone has the time to update modpacks, considering the work that is usually involved.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Do we all forget that there is no public Xycraft release for any version of 1.5 minecraft? Why does all the hate go to Eloraam and not Soaryn? Because you see him on Dire's channel?

No, I am indifferent to Soaryn too. Although I think the dude needs to get over himself and just release more.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Will probably never happen.

Redpower was first made cos SHE wanted it and not for anyone else.

Don't be ungrateful.

Hmm, feels like some weird reasoning there. Why go through the complication of coding a mod of this level if no one but your self is going to see it? That would take a personality with absolutely ZERO ego, which is impossible.

But I suppose I am being a little ungrateful considering I have not sent one cent in her direction... She owes no body anything.

But still it is annoying that Redpower's slow development is lagging FTB's updating to the point where people are seriously considering ousting her mod for inferior but up to date substitutes and or making their own updated pack.

I hope the option for a handover is open, becasue it would be sad to see RP2 fall in to obsolescence becasue Eloram quits development.
Hopefuly she can see just how big her mod has become and hands it over when it does come time for her to retire from developing Redpower.
It's her baby, that's undeniable. But like human babies they grow up and leave their mothers and surpass them (at least that's the best case scenario).
This is all hypothetical of course, it may never happen.

Do we all forget that there is no public Xycraft release for any version of 1.5 minecraft? Why does all the hate go to Eloraam and not Soaryn? Because you see him on Dire's channel?

You see, as much as I like XYcraft it's removal is of little consequence as at now most servers remove it for some imaginary lag reasons and it's mostly an aesthetic mod so removing it doesn't hurt much.
People "hate" on Eloram becasue they are more dependent on her mod to have fun. Soaryn... Not so much.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, feels like some weird reasoning there. Why go through the complication of coding a mod of this level if no one but your self is going to see it? That would take a personality with absolutely ZERO ego, which is impossible.

It is a Tech thing. I know of a few freinds in programing that like to work with what they call fast food code to modify stuff for themslves with no intent to release it. Stuff from mods for games they like to presonal phone apps.

Think of it as the computer geek version of creative writing. You might like writing twlight fan fic. But you also might not want to just show it off to everyone.

Reactions: BanzaiBlitz

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
The flipside of this is a tweet does not a release make. Xeno publishes, Eloraam says, "My mod which is almost entirely obsoleted by the modern modded minecraft scene and its format? Yeah the permission I gave FTB before still stands. And sure, kids. Gonna upgrade."

I am grateful to Xeno. I will be grateful to Eloraam when she publishes. Either way, I think it is wrong of a modder to not at least make a closed-public source offering. If you call this ungrateful, so be it. My feelings on this are not–and will not–change just because of Eloraam.

That's all well and good, but don't talk about community anything if you're so quick to talk about someone's work as obsolete just because you can mash together a half dozen other mods to achieve 95% of the functionality. Community is about respecting everyone's contribution, not just discarding bits and pieces because someone else is doing something similar and catering to your 'needs' (wants) sooner. That's not community, and don't fool yourself into thinking it is.

Reactions: Saice

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Community is about respecting everyone's contribution,

I've respected her contribution. Redpower 2 was great back when it was a thing. The Big Bang Mod Concept doesn't work so well anymore, for a variety of reasons. Even relatively heavyweight mods like Thermal Expansion are much smaller than RP2 and contribute to an ecosystem. The great irony is that Eloraam's design sense and dev style are most like another controversial figure in the community: Greg of Gregtech.

Greg's been having a ton of trouble maintaining his mod's balance in the face of a fleet of popular and upcoming mods because his big-bang style of design imposes a lot of restrictions on other mods in the pack, and greatly constrains the freedom of modpack maintainers hoping to achieve something akin to "balance."

RP2 is, even in 1.4.7, totally "unbalanced." Many things we expect it to do simply don't appear. Many things that other mods feel are expensive are utterly trivialized by RP2. It was only the exceptional quality of RP2 that let it pull these off at the time. But now, we have other mods with exceptionally cool machines, great art direction and a great velocity. Minefactory Reloaded and Thermal Expansion are shining examples of new leaders.

I feel the way about the MFR team and the TE team that I think you feel about Eloraam: I root for them and I have inexplicably devoted a lot of my time to selling MFR. But if they stopped producing, I'd say, "So sad. What else can I use?"

Because, and this is key: software is a process, not a product. It's different from a bridge, or a song, or even a car. It is expected as part of its very purpose to evolve and grow over time. If you can't provide that as a developer your best option is to open the source and ask for help.

not just discarding bits and pieces because someone else is doing something similar and catering to your 'needs' (wants) sooner.

I don't understand what you're saying, Enigmus. I've given Eloraam her due: Rp2 was ahead of its time. It's not so much now. When she releases something, I'll be excited to see it.

By the way...

just because you can mash together a half dozen other mods to achieve 95% of the functionality

This situation? "half a dozen mods?" This is a better outcome. Why? Redpower 2 is an object lesson in why. An ecosystem is resilient and diverse, people can come and go, it can grow and shrink as the community demands; all without even trying. Eloraam hits busy months at the right time and suddenly RP2 is gone and everyone flips out.

I keep seeing a persistent disdain here for mixed mod solutions asserted without even the vaguest sense of irony. I think it's funny given where we are.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
FINALLY!
Thank you so much Eloraam!
For silencing the haters for at least a month!
Take that, haters.

Silencing "haters..." lol I don't think that's what she's doing or what she's going to achieve.

OP's thread mentioned a flip out this includes the "Haters" along with the fans.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Silencing "haters..." lol I don't think that's what she's doing or what she's going to achieve.

OP's thread mentioned a flip out this includes the "Haters" along with the fans.
yeah in fairness all it does is spark up the old flames. The only thing that would "silence the haters" at this point would be a relatively bug free 1.5 RP2 with a raft of brand new features.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
yeah in fairness all it does is spark up the old flames. The only thing that would "silence the haters" at this point would be a relatively bug free 1.5 RP2 with a raft of brand new features.

She could do other stuff to: release her source with a license. Or maybe release blutricity as an API like she promised. Or even screen shots and videos.

Reactions: Chocorate