Was ethanol nerfed?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
well... when it comes to wood farm MFR is probably indeed better.

Depends how fast it cuts trees, really. The multifarm does roughly 4 blocks a second at full tilt; I don't know how MFR's harvesters do in comparison. Of course, they have the advantage in being able to use multiple harvesters on an area, while a multifarm cannot increase its speed beyond the default.

The yellow meranti tree is already crazy productive for wood even with default traits (over 4x that of apple oaks), and that's with a fairly slow maturing speed. Replace that with something speedy, and I wonder if the farm can cut the wood fast enough... it can also be bumped up two size categories more. The effect of those is tree specific so I can't really predict how much it adds.

The sequoia is of course even more insane, with what, five to six full stacks of wood per tree. However it's a 3x3 girth tree, and while that is one of the reasons for its huge wood yield, it also means that it struggles to grow, since all nine saplings must reach full growth readiness together. This is especially difficult in small multifarms, where saplings are constantly used and replaced. ... ...I just notices that I haven't benchmarked it yet. Need to do that one of these days. I did benchmark the baobob, which did barely half the output of the 2x2 yellow meranti despite being a 3x3 tree and having the same maturing speed. That pretty much shows the effect I mentioned.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
MFR with sakura or ghostwood blows any and everything away in terms of wood and sapling yield. I would also estimate the harvester at max speed breaks 8-12 blocks a second if not more.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of wood, yeah MFR is faster but for biomass, MFR doesn't get anywhere nr Forestry, not even remotely close.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
In terms of wood, yeah MFR is faster but for biomass, MFR doesn't get anywhere nr Forestry, not even remotely close.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. That ghostwood/sakura can make upwards of 200k saplings if the farm is properly sized. Of course Forestry consumes 1/50th the power vs MFR but yeah.

200k daily that is.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
"Properly sized" doesn't need to mean much. You need to compare the two farm types with equal amounts of farmland. Because, after all, a multifarm may only have 72-180 blocks worth of farmland, but what keeps me from building multiple ones to match a MFR farm in farmland size?

But yeah. 8-12 blocks a second is pretty darn fast.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
"Properly sized" doesn't need to mean much. You need to compare the two farm types with equal amounts of farmland. Because, after all, a multifarm may only have 72-180 blocks worth of farmland, but what keeps me from building multiple ones to match a MFR farm in farmland size?

Yeah, but 'properly sized' for an MFR farm is probably 3x3 with a single composter/sewer. There's not much point in putting down more than one sapling at a time.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
MFR tree farms are a bit too far into "magic block" territory for me. Put down a planter and 1 or more harvesters, and the wood spews forth.

Forestry MultiFarms are also magic blocks, but the work and planning required seems appropriate for the massive, infinitely renewable resources that come out of it. Ditto SC2. Setting the little cart go around the track with it expensive Galgadorian tree-cutting blade moving back and forth requires less suspension of disbelief.

If there were mods with even more realistic (looking) mechanics than Forestry or SC2, I'd likely go with those and if MFR was the only option for tree farms, I'd of course use them. In other words, it's all relative ;-)

Reactions: schyman

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't be so sure about that. That ghostwood/sakura can make upwards of 200k saplings if the farm is properly sized. Of course Forestry consumes 1/50th the power vs MFR but yeah.

200k daily that is.

The count doesn't mean anything, though its matchable by forestry anyway. Big point is that forestry bred saplings can provide about 10x more fuel than a BoP standard sapling in a bioreactor. I have one fermenter running 24 stills full throttle, and have had to go so far as to put multiple liquiduct outputs on the fermenter to keep up with the biomass output. It runs 10 boilers with 4500 excess fuel a day and apple juice parity.

Note that this is for just medium traits, not perfect production saplings. Also, one medium-sized multi farm producing this.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
MFR tree farms are a bit too far into "magic block" territory for me. Put down a planter and 1 or more harvesters, and the wood spews forth.

Forestry MultiFarms are also magic blocks, but the work and planning required seems appropriate for the massive, infinitely renewable resources that come out of it. Ditto SC2. Setting the little cart go around the track with it expensive Galgadorian tree-cutting blade moving back and forth requires less suspension of disbelief.

If there were mods with even more realistic (looking) mechanics than Forestry or SC2, I'd likely go with those and if MFR was the only option for tree farms, I'd of course use them. In other words, it's all relative ;-)
if you are looking for a game that doesn't requires much of suspension of disbelief, minecraft is probably a bad choice to begin with...
anyway, if MFR and forestry are to "magical blocks" you can always go for turtles or try to search for mods that add lumberjack minions

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
It makes me chuckle every time when someone says GO MFR it's way OP and by far the best output (tree farm), those of us who are prepared to invest time in Forestry know MFR doesn't even scratch Forestry in full flight.

I spent time to grow *THE* tree (Mahoe/Elm/Sequoia) and it is just .... well it took me 2-3 hrs to stop laughing at how really OP it was, 5,000 saplings in like an hr and my god the biomass....

My tip: stop short cutting stuff just cos it's quicker and relax, take your time and just look at how to do it properly.

You made the ultimate biofuel sappling/tree thread?

I was lookin' for it, couldn't find it.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

By properly sized it's anywhere from 5x5 to 9x9 at absolute most(This applies only to ghostwood/sakura) with a fertilizer. With a fully stocked fertilizer; well I can't even make an estimate of the production rate without testing it but the logs would probably come close to ~300k each day with one harvester. If you were to use 3 it'd probably reach 600. Saplings normally match about ~3/4 of the logs.

Forestry would likely give much higher benefits in terms power consumption vs produced but takes quite some more time to setup. I'm not sure if it would ever match the production with comparable resources for each side.

Yeah, but 'properly sized' for an MFR farm is probably 3x3 with a single composter/sewer. There's not much point in putting down more than one sapling at a time.

For ghostwood and sakura there is. Especially if you use multiple harvesters.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Not at all, Redboss. It's just that you don't usually need to optimize a treefarm for output if you need the wood for building. You'll be hard pressed to out-consume even a basic farm unless you're building turtle or filler assisted.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Not at all, Redboss. It's just that you don't usually need to optimize a treefarm for output if you need the wood for building. You'll be hard pressed to out-consume even a basic farm unless you're building turtle or filler assisted.

I've run out of wood from my 9x9 MFR tree farm before due to using the wood for crafting frames.