Vanilla MC 1.9 announced

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The Elytra are quite interesting as, previously, mods introduced flight in a world without a flight mechanic.

The Elytra however, introduce vanilla 'gliding' as a very end-game option (you get them from the End) and I would hope that 1.9 mods that have flight suits will use them as a pre-requsite to modded flight.

Reactions: SandGrainOne

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
The launch of a new version of Minecraft usually means that I will be playing vanilla for a few hundred hours before returning to modded again. We'll see though. I've already been playing a lot of vanilla 1.8.9 lately.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Now it begins. Let's see how long it takes Forge to release a version. For the criticism throwing 1.8ers, you can't have it both ways. You can't say it's easy to go from 1.8 to 1.9 AND criticize devs who decided to just wait for 1.9. Even more so after this announcement.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
The combat changes look neato, although I have yet to see evidence that it's the mod-saving miracle update that some people have made it out to be.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Now it begins. Let's see how long it takes Forge to release a version. For the criticism throwing 1.8ers, you can't have it both ways. You can't say it's easy to go from 1.8 to 1.9 AND criticize devs who decided to just wait for 1.9. Even more so after this announcement.

To be fair, we would need to keep stats on mods updating from 1.7 to 1.9 and those updating from 1.8 to 1.9.

My contention is that we'll see more of the latter first, since the authors of the former will have to learn any pitfalls the 1.8 authors already know about.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
This the one with 2 arms/duel wielding right?

This could lead to some interesting difficulty changing mechanics which involve monsters latching on to/grabbing limbs.
And GregTech becoming even more awesome requiring you to hold a screwdriver AND wrench to dismantle a machine!! :p
Yep! Can't wait to see what TiCo does with this, and all the various combinations you could see. Rapier, for example, pierces armor but shields can block. Maybe a mace or morningstar to do the whole axe thing against a shield that deals extra damage vs shields and does the knockback, but swings a little slower. Broadsword has the vanilla sword mechanics with the area-effect. And various types of shields to use, each with their strengths and weaknesses.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
So long as modders waiting for 1.9 doesn't cause us all to wait another year. It doesn't look like it though.
Then again it gives newer modders a chance to fill the vacuum left by those who are waiting.
So the incumbents waiting on 1.9 might be doing us a favor.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
So long as modders waiting for 1.9 doesn't cause us all to wait another year. It doesn't look like it though.
Then again it gives newer modders a chance to fill the vacuum left by those who are waiting.
So the incumbents waiting on 1.9 might be doing us a favor.

To quote Larry Niven (Sci-Fi writer, for the less-than-literate :D) from one of his books in the 70's-80's...

"Think of it as Evolution in action"

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
AKA natural selection.

In the context of the story, it appeared as graffiti during/after incidents of civil unrest... I took the quote as my own commentary back then as a kind of "Darwin Award" years before the DAs existed.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I hated dual wielding. But I tested out 1.9 and found the shield mechanics to be not worth the effort. Perhaps a mod will improve upon the mechanics. I find that for the shield to be so large, the hitbox protection it offers is not proportionate to it's size.

The change away from spam clicking and enhanced skellies allowed me to die. I NEVER die in this game unless the environment kills me. And in 1.9 I died a LOT. Creepers killed me in diamond gear, I couldn't spam my way out of a zombie horde, and i couldn't put my back against a wall and fight my way out.

I think that's pretty cool.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I hated dual wielding. But I tested out 1.9 and found the shield mechanics to be not worth the effort. Perhaps a mod will improve upon the mechanics. I find that for the shield to be so large, the hitbox protection it offers is not proportionate to it's size.

The change away from spam clicking and enhanced skellies allowed me to die. I NEVER die in this game unless the environment kills me. And in 1.9 I died a LOT. Creepers killed me in diamond gear, I couldn't spam my way out of a zombie horde, and i couldn't put my back against a wall and fight my way out.

I think that's pretty cool.
Wut.

I find it to be quite the reverse. Shields mean immunity to skeletons entirely. They are now the least dangerous 'hostile' mob in the game. Congratulations. Swords now do an AE swing innately, so I have no clue how you can NOT beat down a swarm of zombies. Unless you were seduced by the axe's base damage, in which case you get what you pay for.

I don't know what you mean by 'spam your way out'...

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Wut.

I find it to be quite the reverse. Shields mean immunity to skeletons entirely. They are now the least dangerous 'hostile' mob in the game. Congratulations. Swords now do an AE swing innately, so I have no clue how you can NOT beat down a swarm of zombies. Unless you were seduced by the axe's base damage, in which case you get what you pay for.

I don't know what you mean by 'spam your way out'...
Spam clicking a horde of zombies is how I usually defeat them when I get cornered. It doesn't work like that anymore. Sure you can get a swipe hit in, but getting the timing down for swings takes time and when you've got a dozen zombies and a few skellies on you, you're not going to escape easily. And if invulnerability to skellies means I have to hold the shield up continuously, then that's not for me. That blocks my view and leaves me open to attack from the rear.

So no. I don't like it.