Upscaling RF power output

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm looking to upgrade my power system to support a MFR laser drill or two. I'm currently using two high pressure steam boilers running steam dynamos, fed by tree farm charcoal. My primary goal is renewability and reliability. I handle most of the industry/infrastructure on my server for other people to use, so I want everything to stay running when I'm not there to watch it. Are there any good ideas for creating a large amount of redstone flux, other than just multiplying the setup I already have? The livestock/fertilizer/treefarm/charcoal sequence is a tad annoying to duplicate for power spamming.

Edit: Important detail: We're running DW20 pack, 1.0.18

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm looking to upgrade my power system to support a MFR laser drill or two. I'm currently using two high pressure steam boilers running steam dynamos, fed by tree farm charcoal. My primary goal is renewability and reliability. I handle most of the industry/infrastructure on my server for other people to use, so I want everything to stay running when I'm not there to watch it. Are there any good ideas for creating a large amount of redstone flux, other than just multiplying the setup I already have? The livestock/fertilizer/treefarm/charcoal sequence is a tad annoying to duplicate for power spamming.

Edit: Important detail: We're running DW20 pack, 1.0.18
You need more RF? If you are only using TE3 for RF production, you have one option, and that is more dynamos. The TE3 Dynamos only every output a max of 80 RF/tick.

That being said, there are ways to get more RF/t then TE3. The catch, is that Direwolf20's 1.6.4 pack has none of the RF producers I would suggest. Except for Extra Utilities(but I wouldn't know what to suggest from XU for you). The best RF source in DW20 1.6.4 is the Nether star engine from XU... but that's overkill for pretty much anything.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
You should look into the nether star generator, it puts out 40k/t and gives about 100m RF per star. It's one of the best, if not, the best power generation method in the DW20 pack. Once you get a steady source of skulls, and a method to automatically kill the wither, you'll be set for a while.

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, call me a noob on wither mechanics, but is there a good way to automate nether star production?

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I hear heated redstone generators are also good, as they make more RF the longer they run, but I haven't used one myself yet.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
A potion generator output up to 360 rf/tick but need a good setup and require a nether wart, sugar cane and a creeper farm with a way to gen redstone or glowstone (glowstone can be done with TE or witch for redstone). You can probably feed 2 generator with a simple stand-duct-stand-duct setup

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
The EU redstone generators put out 320 RF/t. You can run them without lava by using a magma crucible to feed them liquid redstone. Magical crops makes a steady supply of redstone easy to maintain for them. Only issue I had was the don't respond to redstone or seem to cut off when buffer is full like other EU generators. You can use the redstone control of the magma crucible to control them though.

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
Waitwait... redstone is renewable now? Also, I'm not sure DW20 has magic crops. I think it's just thaumcraft and Ars Magica.

"Overpowered and more than anyone would reasonably need" sounds about right, so I'm gonna work on nether star power. The one issue I have is soul sand... any way (aside from soul wax bees) to gen that?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Bioreactors and biofuel generators. If you're doing DW, then a combination of logistics pipes and applied energistics will -easily- keep the system running smoothly and stocked. You can also use the infinite lapis/ink sac trick (wool, dye the wool, pulverize the wool, repeat) to add some additional stuff to the bioreactor that you don't have to grow. Small farms using harvesters and fertilizers are great for the trees, and Ars Magica's green thumb glyphs are excellent in getting your crops to grow faster...just overlap a few of them with golden inlays and that should keep up.

Reactions: RedBoss

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
Working on the wither problem, trying to use forcefields to kill it, but it seems like there's a problem with the Calclavia force fields doing this. The wither seems perfectly happy to phase straight through the shield after 30 seconds or so. Any advice?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Working on the wither problem, trying to use forcefields to kill it, but it seems like there's a problem with the Calclavia force fields doing this. The wither seems perfectly happy to phase straight through the shield after 30 seconds or so. Any advice?

Is the field big enough, and does it have more than enough power?

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
I'll up the power and see if that makes a difference.

On an unrelated note
(glowstone can be done with TE or witch for redstone)
I don't follow... how does TE multiply glowstone, and... I assume that's saying that witches drop redstone if I can capture one to spawn? (I've never seen a witch)

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I'll up the power and see if that makes a difference.

On an unrelated note

I don't follow... how does TE multiply glowstone, and... I assume that's saying that witches drop redstone if I can capture one to spawn? (I've never seen a witch)

Witches drop most of the useful vanilla dusts (redstone, glowstone, gunpowder). Additionally there is apparently a type of Glowstone generator (like a vanilla cobble-gen) you can make using TE's liquid Glowstone, apparently you set it up to flow into some liquid Cryothieum and where the two meet, *bam* a new glowstone block is generated.

Haven't made one myself, but I only learned about it a couple of days ago. Additional concern, TE liquid glowstone floats upwards, so you need to take that into account in your design. There was a picture somewhere on this forum of a setup.

Edit: If your playing a BoP world, and have the "Mystic Grove" biome enabled, you can pretty much always find witches there. I think it's the only thing that can spawn in that biome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Witches drop most of the useful vanilla dusts (redstone, glowstone, gunpowder). Additionally there is apparently a type of Glowstone generator (like a vanilla cobble-gen) you can make using TE's liquid Glowstone, apparently you set it up to flow into some liquid Cryothieum and where the two meet, *bam* a new glowstone block is generated.

Haven't made one myself, but I only learned about it a couple of days ago. Additional concern, TE liquid glowstone floats upwards, so you need to take that into account in your design. There was a picture somewhere on this forum of a setup.

Edit: If your playing a BoP world, and have the "Mystic Grove" biome enabled, you can pretty much always find witches there. I think it's the only thing that can spawn in that biome.
Find the northern lights...