Unstable 1.12 Impressions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I created this thread as I didn't see a discussion area for the new 1.12 packs... If needed, please feel free to move or delete this if it's out of place.

I just loaded and spent about a half hour with the new Unstable pack... It's got some interesting additions, such as a new Village Testificate, the "Crystallyzer", who has a house with the basic Actually Additions setup... Too bad you can't loot the gear, but you can still use it.

It's also got some 'gotchas', which is to be expected. What I found is by no means world shattering, but something has broken Vanilla.

I routinely use the "Options" settings on world creation to configure the Vanilla world specs, primarily to completely remove "Andesite" from the world... It looks too much like an illegitimate child of smoothstone and gravel to me :D.
1) Select "More World Options" when creating the world
2) Select "World Type". Toggle to the "Customized" selection. Note: This is the button you use to select Biomes O'Plenty.
3) There are 4 screens here. The second screen has settings for all the vanilla block spawns, with Level info, Cluster Size, etc. I Set the Andesite "Spawn Tries" to 0.

In this Unstable pack Andesite still spawns anyway. :D

BTW, in the customized world type you can change just about anything... Spawn levels/amounts for Vanilla resources, what kind of structures you will allow to spawn, etc. Not that I've ever bumped my chances for Diamonds and such... :D

Last edited:

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Looking at the mod list... got some basic stuff, the "Thermal" mods are there for early power gen/storage as is AA.

No TiCo yet tho' interesting...

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Unata

Jul 29, 2019
Am wondering how to get the normal achievements back in Unstable, anyone know how to disable the "Advancement" thing it has? don't care for it much, is the pack a quest pack now?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't know what you are talking about, unless it's the new Vanilla Achievements that Mojang changed in Minecraft 1.12. The pack itself is still just a collection of available mods for MC 1.12 that are being watched by FtB to determine what works or doesn't for future packs, and I don't think it has HQM or a similar mod yet.

The only way I can think of to answer your question is to suggest not playing any new packs and stay with older Minecraft versions.

Unata

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what you are talking about, unless it's the new Vanilla Achievements that Mojang changed in Minecraft 1.12. The pack itself is still just a collection of available mods for MC 1.12 that are being watched by FtB to determine what works or doesn't for future packs, and I don't think it has HQM or a similar mod yet.

The only way I can think of to answer your question is to suggest not playing any new packs and stay with older Minecraft versions.

When I open the main menu GUI while in game there is no "Achievements" button, it is replaced with an "Advancements" button and when you go into that all that is there is a bunch of "chests" goals, colossal chest with a list of assorted materials to make different types of them.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Am I allowed to ask what is so bad about advancements?
It functions pretty much the exact same as achievements, except that they aren't in a forced order (I believe)
On top of that they can be defined using json in resource packs(I believe) and are actually made from the ground up to work with tabs nicely.

The only real difference between them and achievements is that they cam block you from creating things. However, that is a non-issue at least in the vanilla game as I am pretty sure that it is just blocking stuff like redstone recipes until you actually found redstone.

I really feel that if they just kept calling it achievements no one would care.

Note that I didn't actually play minecraft 1.11 and up so I may have missed somethings about it. If that is the case, feel free to correct me :)

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
I haven't played unstable, but I am playing ATM 3 on the launcher, and I must say I am enjoying it. a couple things I've noticed

-Mekanism is a bit OP, no wonder it's in so few packs
-i'm not a fan of how you can't pick up the AA machines in the village house, the stuff isn't that expensive
-plz nerf Fish 'n' chips
- rustic seems pretty cool, I want to make an ironwood farm until I can get mass amounts of iron from mystical agriculture
-olive oil doesn't respect meta data (trying to put some on fish 'n' chips results in oiled cheese)
- (Rustic) Beeswax can't be used in place of Forestry wax
- I encountered a weird bug where the mouse would act like it's shift-clicking at all times, quite annoying

i'll tell you if I find anything else, as I haven't gotten very far in

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
@APEX_gaming there is very little point giving feedback on this board for ATM 3. It's unlikely that the pack authors will find your comment.