"Under the radar mods"

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Runebooke

Jul 29, 2019
What under the radar mods do you add to your mod packs? By "under the radar" I mean, mods that you find fun, and are not featured in any of the ftb packs from ultimate to the 1.7.10 packs.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
What under the radar mods do you add to your mod packs? By "under the radar" I mean, mods that you find fun, and are not featured in any of the ftb packs from ultimate to the 1.7.10 packs.
Minechem! Random Things! RFDrills! RF Windmill! Solar Flux! Steve's Factory Manager! Tinker's Steelworks! Torched!
But most importantly: RFTools and Refined Relocation. Those are the coolest things ever and they're new. :D

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Erm... Refined Relocation has been around quite a while, it was in fact on Resonant Rise before Yogspack, and it was in the Yogspack as well.

Extreme Automation is one very 'under the radar'. In effect, it is Fabricators and Liquid Fabricators. You remember those, don't you? This does that. Pretty nifty.

Another one is OmniOccular. It... umm... it really gives some stupidly good information to WAILA, particularly for Botania and Blood Magic. I'm just sayin'... you should probably check it out and see what you can see.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Erm... Refined Relocation has been around quite a while, it was in fact on Resonant Rise before Yogspack, and it was in the Yogspack as well.
Huh. Well, I've never seen anyone play with it, so I'd say it qualifies as "Under the Radar." Plus most people don't follow the Yogscast, including playing their packs. :p

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Huh. Well, I've never seen anyone play with it, so I'd say it qualifies as "Under the Radar." Plus most people don't follow the Yogscast, including playing their packs. :p
Over a million watchers, the single most watched minecraft series on youtube... the numbers do not support your premise. I'm not a particular fan of them either, mind you, but saying most people don't follow the yogscast is apparently not true.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Over a million watchers, the single most watched minecraft series on youtube... the numbers do not support your premise. I'm not a particular fan of them either, mind you, but saying most people don't follow the yogscast is apparently not true.
'Most watched' doesn't mean most people watch them; it just means they have the most. Plurality as opposed to majority. :p
Huh. I guess I've never seen it before. My point is that you don't see DW20 using it, or anyone else on Forgecraft that I know of (but I don't know many). I like the mod, ok? We'll leave it at that. :)

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
There are quite alot, just a few:
Some of them arent updated that often (or at all) so its expected that they dont show up in FTB. Though they can be alot of fun regardless. Other have features that are must have IMO, like iBench, Iron Backpacks, Enhanced Portals and Hlestakov's Screwdriver. Others offer features somewhat already done by similar mods (like Open Computers vs Computercraft), yet offer a different take or have different features.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, most of the mods I use are pretty mainstream but here are a few possible options:
  • BetterStorage and Advanced Health Options
  • OpenComputers
  • Integrated Circuits
  • Mekanism
  • Steve's Workshop
  • VoxelMap
and also some of my own mods.

Runebooke

Jul 29, 2019
I added integrated circuits and open computers, malisis doors, etc. Some of the other mods are already in my pack, but I appreciate the suggestions.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Not 'new' by any means- but certainly under the radar; Nature Overhaul. [1.7.10 port]
"Ever thought Minecrafts tree and forest system was rather unrealistic? Boring? Uneventful? Then this mod is for you.

In a Nature Overhauled world, forests will grow, flourish, then die, they will expand, then contract. They will try to spread over deserts and fail! Saplings will grow from trees, fly on the wind, then spawn a new tree where they fall. Though, they can die in this process if the world is unfavourable! A desert will kill a new born sapling.

The plants, mushrooms, cacti, reeds and pumpkins of your world will also reproduce and spread their kin far and wide. They too will form intricate ecosystems. Based on biome their growth, death and spread rates change!
"
Not exactly under the radar, but FTB seems to avoid mekanism, and it's definitely worth a play through.

Sadly Mekaphobia seems to be a significant problem :p

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Not 'new' by any means- but certainly under the radar; Nature Overhaul. [1.7.10 port]
"Ever thought Minecrafts tree and forest system was rather unrealistic? Boring? Uneventful? Then this mod is for you.

In a Nature Overhauled world, forests will grow, flourish, then die, they will expand, then contract. They will try to spread over deserts and fail! Saplings will grow from trees, fly on the wind, then spawn a new tree where they fall. Though, they can die in this process if the world is unfavourable! A desert will kill a new born sapling.

The plants, mushrooms, cacti, reeds and pumpkins of your world will also reproduce and spread their kin far and wide. They too will form intricate ecosystems. Based on biome their growth, death and spread rates change!
"

Sadly Mekaphobia seems to be a significant problem :p
Mekanism + RoC trio + Ic2 and gregtech

That would be an interesting pack...

Now, on topic:
The star miner mod. It made a very small appearance in 1.6.4 but nothing in 1.7.X. That's mostly because you can't have it in modpack, but it's still awesome IMO.

http://forum.minecraftuser.jp/viewtopic.php?t=17975
(I know it's in Japanese)

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Runebooke

Jul 29, 2019
well, I would like to add a few suggestions of my own for the other people reading. My tastes are a bit different than some, so....but anyways here is a few that I have found that no one has listed yet.

Abyssal Craft - available on curse

Sim-u-kraft - available on curse

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The star miner mod. It made a very small appearance in 1.6.4 but nothing in 1.7.X. That's mostly because you can't have it in modpack, but it's still awesome IMO.

http://forum.minecraftuser.jp/viewtopic.php?t=17975
(I know it's in Japanese)

The one below it- JointBlockMOD looks fairly epic.
upload_2015-5-31_21-14-29.png

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Last I heard StarMiner was being updated to 1.7.10 by someone else...

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Mods I like that seem to get no ftb modpack love:

Archimedes ships. Build ships and airships with blocks. With compatible mods you can create flying mining platforms.

Craftguide. Has the potential to be a more 'minecraft' nei.

Growthcraft. Crops and a brewing system for making alcoholic potions.

Grimoire of Gaia. Tough mobs that are well modeled.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure how under the radar they are, but besides some of those already mentioned I enjoy Lootbags and Dual Hotbar.

"
Interesting. I remember reading about that mod on the MC forums years ago and was thinking about it recently. It would certainly make forests, etc. more interesting. I wonder how good the support for modded plants/trees is.

Last edited: