Trials of Murder [GAME THREAD]

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so we're now down to 7 people, not counting attorneys. Only one of these people is a murderer.

So, let's take a look through. Peeps currently on trial are bolded.

Sorazodia: Voted for goreae to go on trial, though did give a (kind of) reason. Maybe seeing if they could get him jailed due to a potential bodyguard blocking an attack? Lower activity than some, late guilty vote on SE could be interpreted either way.

016Nojr: Very inactive despite monitoring the game. Ignored various pings prompting him to contribute. Responded when it seemed there was a chance he might go on trial. Broke off when challenged on this point. Still waiting for your reply on that point Nojr, now's probably a good time.

Goreae: AFAIK, the only thing that has managed to stick on him is the fact that he's still alive. Interesting point though is that for every wolf kill so far the bodyguard was still alive. Not counting last night, the wolves may well have had reasonable reason to suspect that the most active and seemingly town player would be the one that gets protected. So, either he's a town that the wolves were too scared to hit or he's a wolf playing the game of his life right now. The idea that goreae may be leading the lynch to the town is a bit off considering his push on SE and being one of the earlier players to vote Eru up.

Lenscas: Missed the first day. Came back to vote up SE, then disappeared on the day of judgement. Has been much more regular since then. In terms of discussion, has contributed less - main contribution being his theory that wolves are the more active players.

sgbros: Went up on the stand from the start and came straight back off it. 0 contribution to discussion as far as I can see. Potentially wolfy comment at the start of today.

J: Largely inactive. 0 serious contribution to discussion as far as I can see.

If I had to rank these in order of gut feelings, I'd struggle. goreae and lens are clear in my books. I trust them and their judgement, especially goreae. Out of the remaining 4, all look kinda grubby. Can't draw any definitive conclusions at this point.

@016Nojr! @SoraZodia! Marshall your best defenses! Justify to the town why you should not be fed into a meat grinder of jailing! (Interesting point, assuming that my reads are good and the wolf is among those 4 then a meat grinder of guilty verdicts is actually a viable strategy)

Also, Vote sg to stand trial tomorrow, based on elimination of potential murderers.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Oh come on.

Wasn't I innocent in the first trial?
Meaningless. It would be very hard to have enough on anyone within a couple of days to say for sure they were a wolf. Given the frequency of your posts and the lack of depth in your contributions, even more so. An innocent verdict is a decision, not a proof.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Meaningless. It would be very hard to have enough on anyone within a couple of days to say for sure they were a wolf. Given the frequency of your posts and the lack of depth in your contributions, even more so. An innocent verdict is a decision, not a proof.
Because some people value education over this...

SoraZodia

Forum Ghost
Third Party Pack Team
Mod Developer
Mar 11, 2014
Er, RJS already went on trial and was found innocent. He also been helping the town out so there's no reason to suspect him.

Sorazodia: Voted for goreae to go on trial, though did give a (kind of) reason. Maybe seeing if they could get him jailed due to a potential bodyguard blocking an attack? Lower activity than some, late guilty vote on SE could be interpreted either way.
I voted goreae for trial because I thought it was fishy that the wolf didn't attack him yet... I think I stated that a couple of times by now.

And I been casting my votes near the day's end to give time for the accused to say their defense (That and time-zone related reason), the votes were auto-locked so I wanted to be careful.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
So, in short, your answer to my earlier question as to whether you could suggest anyone better to go on trial is no.

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, nobody got killed last night. That is something to consider, I believe.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
either the wolves aren't active or they want us to believe they aren't active

(yes, I like to point things like that out)

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I actually believe soraZodia's defence, now just to wait on nojr. Sora made some very good points about it, plus this is also a very good point that originated from soraZodia's suspicions:
Goreae: AFAIK, the only thing that has managed to stick on him is the fact that he's still alive. Interesting point though is that for every wolf kill so far the bodyguard was still alive. Not counting last night, the wolves may well have had reasonable reason to suspect that the most active and seemingly town player would be the one that gets protected. So, either he's a town that the wolves were too scared to hit or he's a wolf playing the game of his life right now. The idea that goreae may be leading the lynch to the town is a bit off considering his push on SE and being one of the earlier players to vote Eru up.
And note that even though sora considers this a possibility, he doesn't believe it enough to vote me guilty. Actually, it's good that he's considering that. Make no assumptions, accept nothing as the truth. I appreciate that. It's just good play. Also include lens on that.

Even in this post there's a misconception about the bodyguard. Generally, the bodyguard can have either, both, or neither of these two traits: revenge, and sacrifice. If it has sacrifice, then the bodyguard dies when successfully defending someone. If he has revenge, he kills a wolf when he successfully blocks a wolf attack. If the bodyguard has revenge and/or doesn't have sacrifice, then the wolves should be quite afraid to attack someone potentially guarded because either their kill gets wasted or one of them gets killed. Either way it's bad. However, in this game, the bodyguard does not have revenge, but does have sacrifice. He dies when successfully protecting someone but doesn't kill any wolves, thus buying the targeted individual one extra day of life, but taking out the bodyguard in the process.

Now, here's my point: even in RJS's post explaining it, he assumes that the wolves would be afraid to attack a guarded player when they would have absolutely no reason to. There's every possibility that the wolves made the same assumption and decided to attack villagers they thought would be low-priority. The only anomoly there is lethosos the (almost) proven medium. My thought is perhaps they decided to risk it and potentially kill the medium, hoping he was unguarded. Another option is a less active/less experienced player saw a decent target and just went with it to make a kill without thinking about the potential consequences.

I'll go ahead and vote sora not guilty. He has healthy suspicions and voted me on trial to explore those in further detail, maybe goad something out. I see nothing wrong with that and he didn't advocate for my death or anything like that, just shared his suspicions and let the discussion happen. Then he voted not guilty assumably because he wasn't satisfied enough with the evidence to lynch me.

I'm gonna vote sgbros to trial. He's getting rather violent about being accused and that worries me.

Also, nojr hasn't responded yet. If he does, then I may change my mind, but the previous two wolves were entirely silent on their way to the grave, so maybe nojr is following suit.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I have nothing on Nojr at this time. Sora's not the wolf, so I'll vote Sora not guilty. I have an inkling that we have it right with sgbros.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Vote Nojr guilty

He's been incredibly inactive all game, even though he's been popping in to read the thread every once in a while. You can't reasonably say he's contributed anything to the town, and he's up with sg (if not higher) on my list of suspects.

He's also failed to offer any defense today. Like, come on now. Erindalc's dead and he's putting more effort into keeping himself alive. :p