Trials of Murder [GAME THREAD]

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
You mean guys like fowltief? I vote fowltief to go on the stand, I'm concerned about all his talk about butcher knives and such.
My client objects! Fowltief is an innocent man, accus- wait a minute

This isn't really my job, but can I ask why you chose fowl? Did you just pick the guy who's talked the least so you can defend them tomorrow? :p

(This goes for everyone else, too. Reason out your votes! Discussion will always favor the village, and it's hard to do if no one talks.)

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
So the only way we have to determine whether a player is "guilty" or not is by their behavior in this thread? What's to stop people from coming up with individual stories to "prove" their innocence? With no method of watching people's actions there is no actual way to definitely convict any wolves, is there? People's stories don't even have to corroborate each other, we can all just say that we're villagers and then everything will be thrown into mass confusion. Or maybe I'm missing or misunderstanding something?

... Forgive me for thinking out loud again.

Sent from my NS-P16AT08 using Tapatalk

Reactions: frederikam

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My client objects! Fowltief is an innocent man, accus- wait a minute

This isn't really my job, but can I ask why you chose fowl? Did you just pick the guy who's talked the least so you can defend them tomorrow? :p

(This goes for everyone else, too. Reason out your votes! Discussion will always favor the village, and it's hard to do if no one talks.)
Ideally, I'd vote Shazam to go on the stand so I could defend him tomorrow :p

Reactions: SpwnX and Shazam08

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So the only way we have to determine whether a player is "guilty" or not is by their behavior in this thread? What's to stop people from coming up with individual stories to "prove" their innocence? With no method of watching people's actions there is no actual way to definitely convict any wolves, is there? People's stories don't even have to corroborate each other, we can all just say that we're villagers and then everything will be thrown into mass confusion. Or maybe I'm missing or misunderstanding something?
How is any of that different from regular mafia/werewolf? You just described the game perfectly.

The "trick" of the game is that it only works if a) people contribute, or b) people have "powers". We often lean on the powers a bit too much here: everyone wants a power these days, instead of a regular 1 cop + 1 doctor setup, but it means powers control the entire game instead of conversation.

It sounds like you want more powers and less conversation :p

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
How is any of that different from regular mafia/werewolf? You just described the game perfectly.

The "trick" of the game is that it only works if a) people contribute, or b) people have "powers". We often lean on the powers a bit too much here: everyone wants a power these days, instead of a regular 1 cop + 1 doctor setup, but it means powers control the entire game instead of conversation.

It sounds like you want more powers and less conversation :p
Well I'm an idiot. Of course that's the point... maybe I've gotten too reliant on powers from being in recent games
Discussion it is, then. Still, it's difficult this way. Kinda hard to sense people's intentions through text. Guess I'd better get used to it, though!

I need to check the day end time, but I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to keep checking in during school this week. If I'm quiet though it's because I'm in class though.

Sent from my NS-P16AT08 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pyure

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
At least the wolves have no interest in killing you. :/

It says we can't do anything except talk in the game thread and in the Prosecution convo. That means we can't die, right? Right? Guys?
I haven't read through all the thread yet, but yes, the prosecution and Defence are immortal. Also, to reflect on the new balance change, if there is a draw the Defence win.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the reason there are not many power roles is:
You have the four top players in the game doing heavy discussion on who the wolves are, AND THEY ARE IMMORTAL.

Also, those top 4 players are not really here to help. They are just here to discuss, regardless if it is for the benefit of the village.

Fraction2

Jul 29, 2019
A point of curiosity: aren't the defense interested in not finding the wolves? a wolf *should* look inherently more guilty, so wouldn't the defense want to have them not on trial?

Is there any reason to listen to what the defense has to say, shouldn't we assume that they are trying to lead us away from the wolves at all times?

And is there any benefit for the prosecution jailing the wolves? That "kill when wrong" was removed, so now the prosecution v defense is simply getting players jailed, regardless of their actual wolfishness?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It's the only way for the village to get rid of wolves, and it counts towards the prosecution's win condition. So there are a few benefits, yeah. :p
My understanding is that the prosecution and defense both want to lynch wolves when the acquittal/guilty verdicts happen to swing in their favour :\

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
But still, a jailed villager still counts towards your score.
Right! Fraction asked if there were any benefits to jailing at all.

It's still in our best interest to try and root out wolves. More days means more potential acquittals, and you're more likely to hear us out when we've been right before. :p

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
everyone wants a power these days, instead of a regular 1 cop + 1 doctor setup, but it means powers control the entire game instead of conversation.

If powers control the game instead of conversation, then it's bad game design.

But if designed properly, powers can both fun and incentivise discussion. Not to mention intrigue.

Take for instance a standard lookout role. It only gives *partial* information. What about the rest of the information? Well, that's up for discussion.
What do you do with a doctor? Why not have a discussion about that.
What if you have a blocking role target someone, and the morning after no kills were committed? At this point, you might want to claim role.
What if you have two players claiming the same power role but only one can be the true one?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If powers control the game instead of conversation, then it's bad game design.

But if designed properly, powers can both fun and incentivise discussion. Not to mention intrigue.

Take for instance a standard lookout role. It only gives *partial* information. What about the rest of the information? Well, that's up for discussion.
What do you do with a doctor? Why not have a discussion about that.
What if you have a blocking role target someone, and the morning after no kills were committed? At this point, you might want to claim role.
What if you have two players claiming the same power role but only one can be the true one?
Yeah this stuff basically saves werewolf for me.

Fraction2

Jul 29, 2019
Right! Fraction asked if there were any benefits to jailing at all.

It's still in our best interest to try and root out wolves. More days means more potential acquittals, and you're more likely to hear us out when we've been right before. :p

This second part makes sense, but it still seems like listening to the defense at all is harmful to the village, as the opposite is true for them. They want everyone acquitted, regardless of wolfishness.

Reactions: Shazam08

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
It's today for brits.

Edit: or yesterday perhaps

And for the Dutch and probably for more

Yesterday at 2AM->3AM in Denmark. Probably the same in the rest of mainland Europe. Also, Brits and Americans are "special" when it comes to standards :p

For me daylight savings was yesterday. 3AM -> 4AM

At least the wolves have no interest in killing you. :/

It says we can't do anything except talk in the game thread and in the Prosecution convo. That means we can't die, right? Right? Guys?

But if you and Vike die everybody wins. except you and vike

Also, the reason there are not many power roles is:
You have the four top players in the game doing heavy discussion on who the wolves are, AND THEY ARE IMMORTAL.
That's a good way to balance the game.

Now on the serious stuff:
vote fowltief, Pyure voted him, Pyure wants to protect everybody to win, he MUST have a seriuos reason to vote fowltief.

Fraction2

Jul 29, 2019
Now on the serious stuff:
vote fowltief, Pyure voted him, Pyure wants to protect everybody to win, he MUST have a seriuos reason to vote fowltief.

But the defense should be more likely to vote someone innocent, who he thinks is easy to defend.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
But the defense should be more likely to vote someone innocent, who he thinks is easy to defend.
I don't see what's bad with Pyure winning. Also people that don't discuss too much(and whose posts don't generate much discussion) should go first, IMO. Now I need to read that rolesheet properly.