Trials of Murder [GAME THREAD]

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Hiya! Second half of your friendly neighborhood prosecution here. Before we get into it, I'd like to make sure everyone saw that very important rule-change just now.

Finding people guilty will not add to the number of kills the wolves make. The game looks a lot more like normal werewolf now: The village gets a daily lynch, and the wolves get an independent kill.

Pyure and SpwnX are fighting an uphill battle now. They'll essentially be arguing to lynch Nobody every day, which (now that the wolfkill doesn't depend on finding people guilty) has little to no benefit.
Need clarification on that one.

@LivingAngryCheese will the wolves gain an extra kill if someone innocent is found guilty? Or is it a flat one-kill-per-night thing?

Reactions: Shazam08

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well this all looks easy enough.

Everyone, I really feel that your interests are our---

Your best interests are our best interests.
Huh, ok.

That said, I think attempting to progress further is really a wast---

Pyure and SpwnX will simply impede any progress at all.
Shit. What I was going to say is that this is game where voting Nobody is actually a really goo---

They'll essentially be arguing to lynch Nobody every day, which (now that the wolfkill doesn't depend on finding people guilty) has little to no benefit.
Fuck!

Pyure and SpwnX are suddenly fighting an uphill battle.
What Shaz said.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019

Ikr. I believe this is really poorly balanced. I mean, the village doesn't even have any method of investigating. The dead and the jailed won't hold any valuable information because of this, making the special villager roles kinda useless.

The only thing we can do is point out suspicious behaviour.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ikr. I believe this is really poorly balanced. I mean, the village doesn't even have any method of investigating. The dead and the jailed won't hold any valuable information because of this, making the special villager roles kinda useless.

We'll figure it out. BTW pointing out obvs stuff like this is often a wolf-tell. NOT THAT I AM TRYING TO MAKE ANYONE LOOKS SUSPICIOUS. Damnit I suck at being defense.

Hey @LivingAngryCheese, can we rename my super-elite team to Defense or Defense Attorneys? We're not really defendants. The people we're putting on trial are defendants (unless they're witnesses or something)

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
Oy, we should be playing the game as it is meant.
Votes are information, should someone be considered guilty or innocent, we shall use that as a way to find the real corrupt murderers. Do not go on a rampage lynching without any basis, that will likely end up bad...

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
We'll figure it out. BTW pointing out obvs stuff like this is often a wolf-tell. NOT THAT I AM TRYING TO MAKE ANYONE LOOKS SUSPICIOUS. Damnit I suck at being defense.

Like last game when I was a villager? <.<

The only obvious sentence here was "The only thing we can do is point out suspicious behaviour."

Fraction2

Jul 29, 2019
So... If I understand the function of this game correctly, today we vote on who to put on trial (2 people get selected), and tomorrow we have Vikzam and PruXn duke it out over their fate? While simultaneously putting more peeps on trial for the next day?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Like last game when I was a villager? <.<

The only obvious sentence here was "The only thing we can do is point out suspicious behaviour."
I have a sort of obvious-tolerance bar in my brain. Getting close to that level, like saying "we should try really hard to lynch those wolves guys because that's good for us to do" triggers alarms in my brain. It does not fit into the context of "the only thing we can do is point out suspicious behaviour" in that case, sorry.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't sound right. So... objection!
Counter-objection! :p

It's saying that, on a tie vote between Nobody and a player, the player will always break the tie. That's a stupid system for IRL courts, yeah, but it's par for the course in werewolf. We rarely run into it here, since we just lynch the player by a huge margin anyway.
So... If I understand the function of this game correctly, today we vote on who to put on trial (2 people get selected), and tomorrow we have Vikzam and PruXn duke it out over their fate? While simultaneously putting more peeps on trial for the next day?
I think so, but we should probably get @LivingAngryCheese in here for confirmation. Does the Defense have anything to defend today? :p
Is there anything stopping wolves from eating the legal teams?
This is an excellent question.

Fraction2

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't the wolves eating the defense be a little... Counterproductive for the wolves? I mean, it seems the defense is arguing innocence regardless of actual innocence. Just like real lawyers!

The prosecution, on the other hand, probably needs some sort of anti-being-murdered power

fowltief

Jul 29, 2019

i think the next game you have of this should be more like a game of clue... villagers have roles but do nothing( more like an alibi).. there are several weapons... and several locations " It was the butcher in the Meadow with a candle stick.." or something like that.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Counter-objection! :p

It's saying that, on a tie vote between Nobody and a player, the player will always break the tie. That's a stupid system for IRL courts, yeah, but it's par for the course in werewolf. We rarely run into it here, since we just lynch the player by a huge margin anyway.
Yeah but in the event of a tie i still want the dude to go free because its good for my win condition and bad for your win condition.

And to cite Shazam v. the People, page 3, the defense is already fighting an uphill battle here without the prosecution also winning ties.

Reactions: Fraction2

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
And to cite Shazam v. the People, page 3, the defense is already fighting an uphill battle here without the prosecution also winning ties.
That could change based on how Cheese does your win condition. If we vote one person innocent three days in a row, for example, would that count for the Defense one time or three? Are people that aren't put on trial at all counted as innocent?

The prosecution, on the other hand, probably needs some sort of anti-being-murdered power
I, uh... I want everyone to know that Vike showers daily in bacon grease and butter. Cheese help.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That could change based on how Cheese does your win condition. If we vote one person innocent three days in a row, for example, would that count for the Defense one time or three? Are people that aren't put on trial at all counted as innocent?

A strict reading of the rules suggests that the defense win is based solely on the number of acquitted people rather than the number of acquittals. Which is a bit tricky in a game about lynching people :\

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
A strict reading of the rules suggests that the defense win is based solely on the number of acquitted people rather than the number of acquittals. Which is a bit tricky in a game about lynching people :\
At least the wolves have no interest in killing you. :/

It says we can't do anything except talk in the game thread and in the Prosecution convo. That means we can't die, right? Right? Guys?

Reactions: Fraction2

Fraction2

Jul 29, 2019
Especially since the poor sods on trial will already be the player who seem most suspicious. Your hill to fight up seems to be getting steeper and steeper.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You mean guys like fowltief? I vote fowltief to go on the stand, I'm concerned about all his talk about butcher knives and such.