Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
forgive me raising this thread from the dead, but I was wondering, which trees would be best for absorbing all the good traits in the end? Also, is it possible to combine apple with a resin-type tree?

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, excuse me, but do we have any kind of diagram for Extra Trees' breeding - or are we going to have to use the escritoire?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Gathering the necessary information on tree breeding is easy, you can do it through NEI, drawing the now VAST amount of possible tree breeding combinations into a readable chart is not so easy. I started, I tried, I gave up, way too complicated to try and make a chart from it.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, teh various breeds aren't that hard now that you can just NEI the species you want. More practical stuff, however, like leaf count, is more of an issue. I kind of jumped the gun a little with my question though. Just spent half an hour on a testserver with various saplings and can conclude that no coniferous tree species come even close to the leaf count of the common elm.

With the tallest trait and 1x1 girth, the common elm sports an absolutely monstrous cylindrical 11x11 afro. Closest coniferous species would be the western hemlock, but this has a conical shape and thus loses around a third or so of it's leaves compared to the elm. I kinda doubt there's any tree that comes close to the elm in leafcount, though I haven't looked at all of them.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
A tree breeding chart would really have to be auto-generated (ie: by a mod that looks up the "recipes" and saves the results as an image/webpage/whatever). Having a listing of all the various default traits of the trees would be useful, though, as I don't think the NEI plugin shows that.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
A tree breeding chart would really have to be auto-generated (ie: by a mod that looks up the "recipes" and saves the results as an image/webpage/whatever). Having a listing of all the various default traits of the trees would be useful, though, as I don't think the NEI plugin shows that.
You can search the tree you want to look at and you should see two one is a treealized version that you can press shift and it shows the traits. Same thing goes for the bees i think.

.Sullivan.

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to disable the cross-breeding? I know it sounds dumb but I run a Lore server and I love all the trees but am getting annoying with having to replace them constantly from cross-breeding. Looked for the config but nothing is turning up here :S

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Bees that don't care about flowers, will not be breeding trees.

I think this would be requirments of redstone, lillypad, or rock as flower.

Simple matter of breeding that kind of trait back into the bees as the flower it desires, or the syrum from extra bees.
Giving your bees different flowers won't stop the butterflies... It would be a nice config option, if butterfly cross breeding could be deactivated.

Patootie

Jul 29, 2019
Breeding the hill cherry to the Silver lime for the walnuts has to be the most frustrating process I've ever done. T_T
I keep getting mutations on my silver lime and they end up silver lime-hill cherry. >.<

Patootie

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so I bred the silver lime and the hill cherry, and got a lemon tree, that's not in your list... and I need a walnut. :(

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
How long does it normally take leaves to start mutating? I've just started getting into this whole tree breeding thing. I've had apple oaks and silver birches sitting on 8 apiaries for two rl days now and so far I haven't seen one single mutated block of leaves. Either this is broken, or I'm doing something wrong.

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
ok, just made myself some spectacles and yea, my trees are covered in mutated leaf blocks :oops: Thanks Kocyk

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I second/third/etc that tree-breeding can be egregiously frustrating...and it shouldn't be. I found it so frustrating because of the severe lack basic documentation. In a way it's similar to Thaumcraft3 research, but that info is just scattered everywhere.

Anyway, a concise core of basic tree-breeding knowledge for new species creation follows:

Clear all vanilla trees away from breeding area [prevent unwanted pollination]
**may need to clear all trees in future updates**
Limit your breeding to a single type to maximize chances of getting what you're after and use only pure strains if possible
[ex: Silver Lime + Common Walnut trees only around bee houses to get Sweet Chestnut]
When starting out, use bee houses [bonus to pollination at cost of zero automation] and 8 houses seems to work pretty fast
Surround your bees with the trees you are breeding with [mini forest around bee houses]
Wear spectacles to see mutations
Use grafter on mutated leaf blocks [grafter has 5 uses only and cannot be repaired if used 5 times / grafter will destroy mutated leaf block on 6th use and drop no sapling]
Girth = number sapling needed to grow new tree species [ex: 1x1 = 1 sapling, 2x2 = 4 saplings, etc]
ex: Common Walnut (2x2 girth) requires 4 common walnut saplings to grow the tree
After you have required number saplings to grow new species, do a few things:
1: Chop down mini forest and let bees sleep overnight [prevent carry-over pollen]
2: Go far away from breeding area and grow 1 of the new tree species you just acquired
3: Use grafter(s) on this tree's leaf blocks to get cloned saplings up to whatever amount you feel comfortable with.

**Hopefully I didn't forget anything**

With 2 trees and a single bee house, it took me almost a MC month to get a single walnut sapling. Following this pseudo-guide, I got a stack of base chestnut saplings 3 MC days later.

I haven't dabbled with breeding traits yet, but the same basic ideas should hold...as in, try to introduce as little change as possible into the system and then reset once everything has stabilized.

Seriously hope this helps some folks.

AsukaSoryu

Jul 29, 2019
Finding very little info on getting sugar maple mutation other then trees required and percentage drop. What else can the folks here on the forums tell me? Tricks or whatever, had my tree area running for 7 rl days and have yet to get 1

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Make space around your bee houses, so that the bees can only reach the trees you want to cross-pollinate (remember that pollination range is tripe the normal range).
Use bees with a good pollination chromosome.
Use spectacles (or the apiarist suit helmet) to actually see the mutations.

That's all. Silver Lime + Mundane Larch should now result in a Sugar Maple once in a while. Just remember that this mutation has only a 5% chance to occur in comparison to the 15% from your Silver Lime. And remember, that 5% chance doesn't mean, that you're guaranteed to receive a Sugar Maple after 20 mutations.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Shameless self-plug for the butterfly method... ;)

(Because it ought to be mentioned in a thread about tree breeding)

|
|
|
V