Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Those that have discovered the breeding combinations of any of the 8 new tree species, could you please post the breeding combination, it would be a great help as i'm about to get started on tree breeding again and knowing some or all the combinations would be appreciated.
I'm not sure if my notes are correct, but here comes the full list for the current Forestry:
Silver Lime = Silver Birch + Apple Oak (15%)
Sugar Maple = Silver Lime + Mundane Larch (5%)
Hill Cherry = Silver Lime + Apple Oak (10%)
Hill Cherry = Silver Lime + Silver Birch (10%)
Lemon = Silver Lime + Hill Cherry (5%)
Plum = Lemon + Hill Cherry (5%)
Common Walnut = Silver Lime + Hill Cherry (10%)
Sweet Chestnut = Common Walnut + Silver Lime (10%)
Sweet Chestnut = Common Walnut + Hill Cherry (10%)
Mundane Larch = Red Spruce + Silver Birch (10%)
Mundane Larch = Red Spruce + Apple Oak (10%)
Bull Pine = Red Spruce + Mundane Larch (10%)
Coast Sequoia = Mundane Larch + Bull Pine (5%)
Teak = Silver Lime + Jungle (10%)
Kapok = Jungle + Teak (10%)
Myrtle Ebony = Kapok + Teak (10%)
Yellow Meranti = Kapok + Myrtle Ebony (10%)
Papaya = Jungle + Hill Cherry (5%)
Date Palm = Jungle + Papaya (5%)
Balsa = Teak + Silver Lime (10%)
Desert Acacia = Teak + Balsa (10%)
Wenge = Desert Acacia + Balsa (10%)
Grandidier's Baobab = Balsa + Wenge (10%)
Blue Mahoe = Silver Birch + Desert Acacia (5%)
White Willow = Apple Oak + Silver Birch (10%)(Temp: 70-150, Rain: 90-200)
White Willow = Silver Lime + Silver Birch (10%)(Temp: 70-150, Rain: 90-200)
White Willow = Apple Oak + Silver Lime (10%)(Temp: 70-150, Rain: 90-200)
Sipiri = Kapok + Yellow Meranti (10%)(Temp: 90-190, Rain:90-200)
White Poplar = Silver Birch + White Willow (5%)
White Poplar = Apple Oak + White Willow (5%)
White Poplar = Silver Lime + White Willow (5%)

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if my notes are correct, but here comes the full list for the current Forestry:
Silver Lime = Silver Birch + Apple Oak (15%)
Sugar Maple = Silver Lime + Mundane Larch (5%)
Hill Cherry = Silver Lime + Apple Oak (10%)
Hill Cherry = Silver Lime + Silver Birch (10%)
Lemon = Silver Lime + Hill Cherry (5%)
Plum = Lemon + Hill Cherry (5%)
Common Walnut = Silver Lime + Hill Cherry (10%)
Sweet Chestnut = Common Walnut + Silver Lime (10%)
Sweet Chestnut = Common Walnut + Hill Cherry (10%)
Mundane Larch = Red Spruce + Silver Birch (10%)
Mundane Larch = Red Spruce + Apple Oak (10%)
Bull Pine = Red Spruce + Mundane Larch (10%)
Coast Sequoia = Mundane Larch + Bull Pine (5%)
Teak = Silver Lime + Jungle (10%)
Kapok = Jungle + Teak (10%)
Myrtle Ebony = Kapok + Teak (10%)
Yellow Meranti = Kapok + Myrtle Ebony (10%)
Papaya = Jungle + Hill Cherry (5%)
Date Palm = Jungle + Papaya (5%)
Balsa = Teak + Silver Lime (10%)
Desert Acacia = Teak + Balsa (10%)
Wenge = Desert Acacia + Balsa (10%)
Grandidier's Baobab = Balsa + Wenge (10%)
Blue Mahoe = Silver Birch + Desert Acacia (5%)
White Willow = Apple Oak + Silver Birch (10%)(Temp: 70-150, Rain: 90-200)
White Willow = Silver Lime + Silver Birch (10%)(Temp: 70-150, Rain: 90-200)
White Willow = Apple Oak + Silver Lime (10%)(Temp: 70-150, Rain: 90-200)
Sipiri = Kapok + Yellow Meranti (10%)(Temp: 90-190, Rain:90-200)
White Poplar = Silver Birch + White Willow (5%)
White Poplar = Apple Oak + White Willow (5%)
White Poplar = Silver Lime + White Willow (5%)
Nice list, hope this is the real list as I'm going back into Tree Breeding.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
So I finally got around to setting up an alveary with a sieve.

First, normal mutations seem to stop when the sieve is working. Haven't had a single leaf mutate, but had 5 sieve blocks fill up. Have plenty of silk, so this isn't an issue.

Second, it's range, at least vertically, is way too high. Tree farm is at level 113. The ground has a bunch of worldgen vanilla spruce trees at level 63. Most of the pollen captured is spruce, even though only the two breed (two trees each) I'm trying to mutate are in what I'd consider a reasonable range. I do get pollen of the target breeds, but less than 25% of the two combined.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Part of the range issue, is because being in an alveary triples the range of the bee. This is in addition to pollination going a multiple of the natural stated distance. So if you have an 11 range bee, that's 99 blocks away in every direction. This makes a good argument for a low range serum.
I thought Alvearies only double the range? This was at least true in 1.4.7. Haven't checked the newer versions yet, but I think I remember the list on the beta page, where the Alveary was still listed at factor 2.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wrong before. Still, the tree polination distance is (I think) 3 times the flower detection range. So, 6 times the 11 block range listed, is pretty far.

I've been wrong often enough, I don't mind being wrong again. I am though going to keep some shortest pollination distance serum.
I have had the trees around the top of my bases start to mutate before with the normal distance/range on my bees. These trees were at least 30 blocks up and 20 or so out from the bees in my Alveary.
I can see the short range coming in handy if you are trying to get a certain pollen.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
I want to get walnut trees (and eventually chestnut trees). One of the other guys on my server is doing bees, so I'm (with his permission), planting bunches of trees around his base. I've gotten 2 walnut saplings, but it seems to be taking forever to get the last two, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I planted the 4 basic trees and have bred silver lime, hill cherry, mundane larch, and bull pine. But only 2 common walnuts

1) Chestnuts are made from cherry and silver lime trees. So do I only check the cherry and silver lime trees for saplings? Or should I be breaking leaves on all the trees?

2) Whenever I get a sapling from the cherry or silver lime tree that is not a walnut, I just toss it. Is there any reason I should be keeping them? I just don't want to clog AE with tons of non stackable saplings. And I don't want to run through the honey supply to run every sapling through a treealyzer.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
1) Chestnuts are made from cherry and silver lime trees. So do I only check the cherry and silver lime trees for saplings? Or should I be breaking leaves on all the trees?

2) Whenever I get a sapling from the cherry or silver lime tree that is not a walnut, I just toss it. Is there any reason I should be keeping them? I just don't want to clog AE with tons of non stackable saplings. And I don't want to run through the honey supply to run every sapling through a treealyzer.
1: The mutated leaf will be half the tree you break it from, and half another tree. So, naturally, if you break off a mutated leaf from a pure apple oak tree, then it will be half apple oak at a minimum.
2: There's no reason to keep the extra saplings unless you want to burn them for biomass or something, so it's fine to just toss them.
PEGGLE ALERT! PEGGLE ALERT!
...........? Is this anything other than spam?

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
For whatever reason, I'm having such a hard time getting tree breeding to work. When I used a regular oak sappling and a spruce sappling, over time, I get apple oaks and red spruce. When I check their genes, they're all pure-breds. I do not see any cross-bred ones. After this point, I can't seem see to get anything else.

Do bees REQUIRE the flower-trait to be present? None of my bees require flowers to function and I'm wondering whether this is impacting my ability to breed trees. I would think not, given that I do get apple oaks and red spruce saplings though....

Pretty confused about this whole tree breeding thing.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
For whatever reason, I'm having such a hard time getting tree breeding to work. When I used a regular oak sappling and a spruce sappling, over time, I get apple oaks and red spruce. When I check their genes, they're all pure-breds. I do not see any cross-bred ones. After this point, I can't seem see to get anything else.

Do bees REQUIRE the flower-trait to be present? None of my bees require flowers to function and I'm wondering whether this is impacting my ability to breed trees. I would think not, given that I do get apple oaks and red spruce saplings though....

Pretty confused about this whole tree breeding thing.

I think I know what your problem is. Normal vanilla trees will always give you those pure breed forestry trees by themselves. What you need to do is plant and grow those trees that you have already run threw the analyzer. Those will eventually crossbreed. Those you can cross them with normal trees it's easier think threw the whole process if you just use the foristry.
So it's like this.
Oak, spruce, jungle, and birch by them selves you won't get anything.
Apple oak, Red Spruce, and Silver Birch, the ones you get from analyzing the other trees, those you need to kick off the whole process.
Once you have them then you'll start getting hybrid trees. And sometimes about a 1 in 10 chance you'll get something else mixed in.
Plant that one and there's a chance you'll get a pure version of it.
That pure version can then be planted and hybridized to make a new plant.
Basically your going to have to plant and replant a little forest several times to get what you want.
I hope this little guide helps.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
1: The mutated leaf will be half the tree you break it from, and half another tree. So, naturally, if you break off a mutated leaf from a pure apple oak tree, then it will be half apple oak at a minimum.
2: There's no reason to keep the extra saplings unless you want to burn them for biomass or something, so it's fine to just toss them.
...........? Is this anything other than spam?

No it is an alert for pegglefrank of the random necro.

ex13

Jul 29, 2019
Two weeks is already a necro?

Do bees REQUIRE the flower-trait to be present?

YES, many flower-traits do not work with bee breeding, thus your bees do REQUIRE specific traits. The "None" flowers trait will never get you mutated leafs, as will a few others (like magic flowers, nether, ..). Have a look at this page: http://ftbwiki.org/Tree_Breeding

[..] given that I do get apple oaks and red spruce saplings though....

Any vanilla sapling gets automatically converted into its forestry variant if run through the treealyzer. Thus, oak saplings will become (pure) apple oak saplings, spruce saplings will become red spruce saplings, birch saplings will become silver birch saplings, and jungle saplings will become ... well, forestry jungle saplings.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if peggle accepts, then yes.

Harassing people into not using the forum properly isn't productive. Its stupid to make a new thread for something when there's a base thread for the topic already, especially when its fairly recent. Consolidating similar information and questions into one thread makes it easier for people to find the info they're looking for, reducing the high count of redundant thread.

I know you're probably just trying to be funny, but to someone unfamiliar with the forums, you come off as calling someone out for doing something bad, when in fact they are the ones doing the right thing. Its tacky and puts people off from posting.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Two weeks is already a necro?

YES, many flower-traits do not work with bee breeding, thus your bees do REQUIRE specific traits. The "None" flowers trait will never get you mutated leafs, as will a few others (like magic flowers, nether, ..). Have a look at this page: http://ftbwiki.org/Tree_Breeding

Any vanilla sapling gets automatically converted into its forestry variant if run through the treealyzer. Thus, oak saplings will become (pure) apple oak saplings, spruce saplings will become red spruce saplings, birch saplings will become silver birch saplings, and jungle saplings will become ... well, forestry jungle saplings.

Thank you for this. It's working for me now! Now tree breeding is super easy. Lol.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Just an update to the thread since the release of ftb 1.5.2 extra trees has added a master tree database with all of the combinations for both forestry and extra trees. Due to this I will not be updating this thread with the new combinations because its done better in the master database.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
Which trees do I have to breed to get the Sipri (greenheart wood)? It's neither in the list nor in the picture.

vScourge

Jul 29, 2019
According to the master database Kapok + Yellow Meranti in damp humidity.

I can verify that, at least in Forestry 2.0.0.11. Those trees must be in a damp climate in order to cross-breed into Sipiri AND Sipiri saplings will only grow in damp climates. The fussiest of all cross-bred trees in that sense. The White Willow is nearly as bad... only cross-bred in damp, but can be grown anywhere.