Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Sipiri definitely grows in tropical biomes ... havent tested in swamps yet but will soon ... have set up a testing area with yellow meranti and kapok to confirm that this gives Sipiri

Sipiri is the last tree I need to breed, and I've so far been completely unsuccessful in a swamp. I've broken way more leaves than I had to for any other hybrid, so I guess it's time to move to a jungle for breeding this one. Will post back if I'm successful there.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a number of trees bred up now, and this is some general observations (Note I'm using Forestry 2.0.0.9, what is in the FTB packs right now is 2.0.0.3. I had to upgrade for an alveary fix, but there are other fixes as well. The update in a few days will update to 2.0.0.10) I'm manually growing trees, and not using farms.

1) There appears to be no way other than forestry farms to farm fruit without breaking the leaves.
2) Manually breaking fruit leaves will spawn exactly one fruit every time it is ripe. Chopping down the wood and letting the leaf decay will spawn _several_ fruit per leaf block. Walnut trees can spawn nearly 2 stacks of walnuts if you let the leaves decay. Chestnut will spawn over 4 stacks. Both of my example trees are "default" stats and have not been bred to increased fruit.
3) The grafter will always, 100%, spawn a sapling for the first five times. It doesn't break until the sixth usage however, and the sixth usage will not spawn a sapling.
4) 2x2 trees require 4 saplings to bonemeal into growth. I presume 3x3 require 9
5) When a leaf mutates into a new breed, both "sides" of the sapling will be the new breed, and it will have all the new breed stats. Unlike bees, the only hybrids are saplings that _didn't_ mutate.
6) The visual indication that a leaf has mutated doesn't update on the client unless you get out of visual range. This means logging out, teleporting far away and back, walking away, or zoning to another dimension and back. This is more than a block-update issue, as placing a block next to the leaves won't work to update them - except if a leaf decays next to a mutated leaf, the mutated leaf will visually update when the other leaves decay.
7) Exactly identical saplings will not always stack - except if you shut the server down and reload they will start to stack. Unloading the chunk "might" work, but I work in a chunkloaded area. Simply logging out and back will not fix it.

Reactions: MilConDoin

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a number of trees bred up now, and this is some general observations (Note I'm using Forestry 2.0.0.9, what is in the FTB packs right now is 2.0.0.3. I had to upgrade for an alveary fix, but there are other fixes as well. The update in a few days will update to 2.0.0.10) I'm manually growing trees, and not using farms.

1) There appears to be no way other than forestry farms to farm fruit without breaking the leaves.
2) Manually breaking fruit leaves will spawn exactly one fruit every time it is ripe. Chopping down the wood and letting the leaf decay will spawn _several_ fruit per leaf block. Walnut trees can spawn nearly 2 stacks of walnuts if you let the leaves decay. Chestnut will spawn over 4 stacks. Both of my example trees are "default" stats and have not been bred to increased fruit.
3) The grafter will always, 100%, spawn a sapling for the first five times. It doesn't break until the sixth usage however, and the sixth usage will not spawn a sapling.
4) 2x2 trees require 4 saplings to bonemeal into growth. I presume 3x3 require 9
5) When a leaf mutates into a new breed, both "sides" of the sapling will be the new breed, and it will have all the new breed stats. Unlike bees, the only hybrids are saplings that _didn't_ mutate.
6) The visual indication that a leaf has mutated doesn't update on the client unless you get out of visual range. This means logging out, teleporting far away and back, walking away, or zoning to another dimension and back. This is more than a block-update issue, as placing a block next to the leaves won't work to update them - except if a leaf decays next to a mutated leaf, the mutated leaf will visually update when the other leaves decay.
7) Exactly identical saplings will not always stack - except if you shut the server down and reload they will start to stack. Unloading the chunk "might" work, but I work in a chunkloaded area. Simply logging out and back will not fix it.
Wow, thanks for that info. Will this also work with the version of forestry in Mindcrack right now?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, thanks for that info. Will this also work with the version of forestry in Mindcrack right now?

I'd have to look at the exact change log between 2.0.0.3 and 2.0.0.9, but tree breeding works - just some specific bugs may more may not exist.

Also, MindCrack is upgrading to 2.0.0.10 on Monday. So it's not long.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure? I think I have seen hybrids, where one part freshly mutated. This was back in 2.0.0.2 and is just called from memory a while ago. So maybe my memory is just wrong (very likely).

So that is the cause, why my trees didn't want to mutate for a while... Good finding!

The same is true for bees. I once emptied a bee chest and refilled it again, and suddenly I got a few free spaces.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure? I think I have seen hybrids, where one part freshly mutated. This was back in 2.0.0.2 and is just called from memory a while ago. So maybe my memory is just wrong (very likely).

I mutate trees with only two trees, one of each side of the intended mutation, and I never get a sapling with only one side mutated. Never. I then tear down both trees and put up two new ones for a new mutation. So I'm going to say that I'm pretty sure.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019

You are right. There are also some trees that will grow with a trunk slightly bigger/smaller than analyzer says (but you still need 1/4/9 saplings).
It is also fixed by putting them in canvas bag and then taking them out, it is a lot easier than restarting server.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
You are right. There are also some trees that will grow with a trunk slightly bigger/smaller than analyzer says (but you still need 1/4/9 saplings).

It is also fixed by putting them in canvas bag and then taking them out, it is a lot easier than restarting server.

Yeah, redpower things do unexpected things to NBT tags - which is what differentiates both bees and tree saplings. For example, a sorter will mix together up to 64 entirely different drones, and make them all the same kind. Not an issue when I'm turning them into BNA (although potentially exploitable if I was identifying them, but I'm not) but more serious with tree saplings I'm trying to keep and I'm not going to risk them.

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
I would also like to add that you have to apply the bonemeal to the NW sapling in the 2x2 formation and the center sapling in the 3x3 formation.

Reactions: FatalLozenge

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, just the rate at which leaves will mutate (check the bee's pollination trait to see the speed).

Lady_Oolong

Jul 29, 2019
From my work, I'm pretty sure Kapok is also a jungle-only mutation. It's also a somewhat slim chance.

From playing with things in Creative, I found that Sipiri won't even grow unless it's in a jungle or similar (I think I got it to work in ExtraBiomes Mini Jungle).

Also, my automated Tropical bee production line gave me a lot of crossbreeds by accident. While Oak and Jungle don't mutate into anything, I did get some nice Apple-Oak specimens that consistently grow to the height of tall jungle trees.

I'm also trying the Desert Acacia Teak/Balsa cross in a desert (I use a mystcraft age with tiny biomes of jungle, desert and ice plains for related bee stuff).

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Just a small tip. If you go for better traits in trees with 2x2 or 3x3 base, you don't need to use exactly identical saplings for every one of them, only they have to be for the same species. Traits of the resulting tree are decided by sapling placed in bonemeal position.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Just a small tip. If you go for better traits in trees with 2x2 or 3x3 base, you don't need to use exactly identical saplings for every one of them, only they have to be for the same species. Traits of the resulting tree are decided by sapling placed in bonemeal position.

Makes sense, that's good to know!

I was playing with chestnut/walnut hybrids yesterday trying to get a chestnut tree with chestnuts that ripened as quickly as walnuts. It seems that sappiness is the attribute you want for this, which is a bit unintuitive. "Matures" is presumably how quickly a tree will grow if you don't bone meal it, and "Yield" is maybe number of fruits/nuts dropped per leaf? Those are my best guesses, but I couldn't find official definitions for all of these things so I'm not completely sure.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
From my work, I'm pretty sure Kapok is also a jungle-only mutation. It's also a somewhat slim chance.

It's not. I work in an extreme hills and have only traveled so far for the Willow. I dont' have every tree, but I do have the Kapok.

Of course, I presume the Desert Acacia needs a desert. It's one I certainly don't have yet.

From playing with things in Creative, I found that Sipiri won't even grow unless it's in a jungle or similar (I think I got it to work in ExtraBiomes Mini Jungle).

Spiri is one I don't have so, no knowledge from me.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, I presume the Desert Acacia needs a desert. It's one I certainly don't have yet.

Oddly, I don't think it does. All of my trees so far have been bred at the intersection of a forest and swamp biome, and I got acacia without any desert being involved. Couldn't get sipiri, so I'll have to visit a jungle for it, but I got all of the others in my forest/swamp location.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
It's not. I work in an extreme hills and have only traveled so far for the Willow. I dont' have every tree, but I do have the Kapok.

Spiri is one I don't have so, no knowledge from me.
I got mine without being in a desert same with kapok and the jungle. Maybe various breeds have a higher chance of mutating if they are in their recommended biomes?

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
The only ones that need special biomes are Willow and Sipiri (for now). Other than that, they breed identically regardless of biome.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Even desert? I've got 6 apiaries with modest bees surrounded by oak, birch and spruce trees. In the desert. I've ran the apiaries for several cycles (enough that the amount of drones in each apiary is well in the double digits now), and not a single block of leaf mutated... What am i doing wrong? Did I miss something obvious?
...Like, am I supposed to treealyze the saplings before planting them? Cause I didn't :x