Too many Diamonds in Unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'm going to start a thread about how many extra trees there are.
Saying "Rare resource X should be as rare as it is in vanilla" is not the same as saying "Common resource X should be rare". <Personal attack removed.>
I only want what I can use so I expect the mods developers to reduce the tree generation rates for every one.
No-one has said they expect Modders to do anything. They have only expressed their opinions and personal preferences. How are Modders and packers going to know what the people want otherwise? If you think the diamond spawn is fine, just say "I think it's fine". No need for trolling.

*Edit* My parody of BeastFeeder's "It's not the devs fault you have such a limited imagination and are so easily insulted" attack has been removed by the moderators. It was intended as an illustrative point, and not as a personal attack. Just wanted to make my intentions clear. I accept that it was over the line.

Last edited:

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I find that iron is also to common in unleashed. It is the same with Diamonds,...
But it is as it is now.

It is the right way to balance ore gen around the mods that need the resource so that a pack is fun to play. But in the future i would like to have a little bite more explanation to every FTB pack. Like .... .... ..... Or generation around 20% higher than default .... ..... .....
So i know when to look in the configs (from now on i will do it anyway) when i start playing a pack.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Let's keep conversing, and debating, and sharing our opinions. That's great, keep doing that.
Let's stop making personal attacks and implying that other users and/or their opinions are foolish or invalid. That's not great, and will get the topic locked pronto (which would be a shame since you guys have done really well so far in staying respectful even while disagreeing).​

Also:
Do we need to complain to LEGO that they're sending too many of the laser pieces in their kits? I dont happen to think so....but if you want to it's your prerogative.
1.) LEGO is always spelled in all caps. ;)
2.) As an avid AFOL (Adult Fan Of LEGO) and active member on a number of LEGO forums, I can attest that we can and do complain about every little thing, ever. It's human nature. :p

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I find that iron is also to common in unleashed. It is the same with Diamonds,...
But it is as it is now.

yeah, I too was surprised to see iron had doubled, to around 160 ore per chunk. That's 5 stacks of iron ingots after ore-doubling.

It follows that exploring and mining by hand is more rewarding ... and I do love to go caving, so perhaps its a good thing, if that's your play-style

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, I too was surprised to see iron had doubled, to around 160 ore per chunk. That's 5 stacks of iron ingots after ore-doubling.

It follows that exploring and mining by hand is more rewarding ... and I do love to go caving, so perhaps its a good thing, if that's your play-style

If there was a way to greatly increase power draw and cost to build a quarry and turtles it would be nice. So far I have not found or heard of a way to do that though.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

Manual mining is dangerous, especially with mods, so there should be an increased reward. Tastes may vary when it comes to the level of reward offered for manual mining. But there is always an absolute point in which a player can get access to automated mining and resource acquisition becomes a non issue.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
So I have this LP series and it uses v1 of the oregen for RR. Lots of ores. Too much, we all agreed. Like lolmany. You can see it in recent episodes. My mining system still took me hours of care, included multiple false starts, and even now needs some tiny improvements. It is unique, distinct, and may be the first of its kind built (for what it's worth). It was built in an environment of lolresources, but most people would not agree that resources were ever the gating factor.

Why did I do it? Because quarries are boring and I demand novelty. I did it because I could.

And that's the key to realize with modded minecraft. In Vanilla, resources usually are the gating factor. In modded minecraft, it's more about your cleverness and knowledge of all the mods. You can be very strong from Day 1 if that is the game you want to play. You can have hours of amazing exploration with great rewards if that is the game you want to play.

you're using steve's carts right? you should check out the twitchstreamer ZeekDaGeek. he has an awesome auto-mining system in his WorldWorld made with steve's carts miners, saying it's awesome doesn't even explain how awesome it is.

also what do you guys think about this... ore distribution depending on what game-mode you start a world with? if you create a world with Peaceful, ores galore. with easy, you'll be finding diamonds in your first mineshaft. with normal you'll be iron geared when you find your first few diamonds. hardcore, you'll be scratching your beard when you see your first diamond ore. or perhaps a button during world creation where you can choose how difficult you want the ore distribution to be?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
you're using steve's carts right? you should check out the twitchstreamer ZeekDaGeek. he has an awesome auto-mining system in his WorldWorld made with steve's carts miners, saying it's awesome doesn't even explain how awesome it is.

I've seen it. My SC2 stuff is far less advanced. My ore processing in combination thereof with TE3 itemducts is novel.

also what do you guys think about this... ore distribution depending on what game-mode you start a world with? if you create a world with Peaceful, ores galore. with easy, you'll be finding diamonds in your first mineshaft. with normal you'll be iron geared when you find your first few diamonds. hardcore, you'll be scratching your beard when you see your first diamond ore. or perhaps a button during world creation where you can choose how difficult you want the ore distribution to be?

We'd need a mod developer to go WAY into MC code to do that properly. But I like it. Of course, I'd reverse it (peaceful means harder mining, hardcore means easier mining) because no one understands how nasty RR's early game is until they've played 1.6.4 with Mekanism and Thaumcraft installed. "Day 2, a zombie wearing full osmium armor with glowing red eyes is banging at my door. Behind him is a skeleton in full glowstone armor... I think this is my last journal entry..."

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen it. My SC2 stuff is far less advanced. My ore processing in combination thereof with TE3 itemducts is novel.

he's also one of the few I've actually seen building a full-blown factorization ore-processor.

We'd need a mod developer to go WAY into MC code to do that properly. But I like it. Of course, I'd reverse it (peaceful means harder mining, hardcore means easier mining) because no one understands how nasty RR's early game is until they've played 1.6.4 with Mekanism and Thaumcraft installed.

I have no idea how much coding it'd be, but I can imagine it being alot of work
but people always like to play the game in a different way then others, so adding the option for people to choose their own ore distrubution upon world creation would helpful... I would also like to see more ores when playing hard, but I can imagine there are plenty of others who really just go full blown hardcore

"Day 2, a zombie wearing full osmium armor with glowing red eyes is banging at my door. Behind him is a skeleton in full glowstone armor... I think this is my last journal entry..."

Day 3, the zombie of yesterday was not so tough when I pulled out a new bow that I looted from that skeleton, but then gary coleman showed up and yea...
z1OEWo5.jpg

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
How are you people still fighting over something that can be fixed via configuration? It's a setting in CotH that's giving you the excess, so just adjust it there...

Or simply transmute the diamonds down to iron, if necessary. Geez...

Do not make us mods come back in here again or the thread will be locked.

I really am starting to doubt the effectiveness of these glare down tactics from moderators. Just saying...

Manual mining is dangerous, especially with mods, so there should be an increased reward. Tastes may vary when it comes to the level of reward offered for manual mining. But there is always an absolute point in which a player can get access to automated mining and resource acquisition becomes a non issue.

Unless your the type of person who just prefers to use enchanted picks to increase your yield-per-block mined. Which in some (not all) cases outpaces the output of an automated system, and saves on the trouble of dealing with tons of cobblestone. Or, you are a strange person who find walking around in caves and mining little blocks highly therapeutic and relaxing. Sure, a quarry could do more faster, but that just doesn't feel the same..

Don't look at me like that..

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
People aren't strange for preferring caving, but i agree. I honestly haven't set a quarry at all since 1.5. I don't need to, especially once I have access to TiCo hammers or DC area effect tools. I find that fact pretty liberating actually and it makes me feel more inclined to use other forms of automated mining just for the heck of it.

Diamonds aren't a limiting factor for a great deal of modded Minecraft. The rare stuff depends on your mod mix anyway. For many players, once they use 16 or so diamonds they rarely need them again. Others who do can either make them from coal or have fast ways to acquire them that outstrip any artificial limitations anyway

Reactions: MagusUnion

Tzukasa

Jul 29, 2019
How are you people still fighting over something that can be fixed via configuration? It's a setting in CotH that's giving you the excess, so just adjust it there...

Or simply transmute the diamonds down to iron, if necessary. Geez...

I really am starting to doubt the effectiveness of these glare down tactics from moderators. Just saying...

Unless your the type of person who just prefers to use enchanted picks to increase your yield-per-block mined. Which in some (not all) cases outpaces the output of an automated system, and saves on the trouble of dealing with tons of cobblestone. Or, you are a strange person who find walking around in caves and mining little blocks highly therapeutic and relaxing. Sure, a quarry could do more faster, but that just doesn't feel the same..

Don't look at me like that..

How does one go about 'fixing' it 'via configuration' and setting it back to the values it was at with the 1.1.2 version? I find there is WAY too much ore/diamonds now and I want to change it back but I don't know how to. The config file in the Unleashed folder is a file type I can't open so.. How do I make that change?

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
How does one go about 'fixing' it 'via configuration' and setting it back to the values it was at with the 1.1.2 version? I find there is WAY too much ore/diamonds now and I want to change it back but I don't know how to. The config file in the Unleashed folder is a file type I can't open so.. How do I make that change?

Don't know if you are using a Mac or not, so I don't know what program is giving you issues. But the configuration file should be under: FTB\Unleashed\minecraft\config\cofh\WorldCustomGen

Don't know which exact values need to be recalculated, but decreasing 'maxclustersize' should be the only thing you have to adjust. Also, the ThermalExchange file in that same folder is what is used to give you your Cu/Sn/Pb ore clusters (I'm using Periodic Table shorthand, lol). Those values can also be reconfigured to your liking...