Today, I learned...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, the things you learn when you are trying to fix a problem.

I'm storing tons of stuff in barrels, but without RP grabbing things out of barrels is, well, not pretty. I'm trying to keep my Humus production going. Then I think, what the heck, why not.

And what did I discover?

Auto-crafting tables work with multiple attached barrels as if they were one inventory!

Fertilizer barrel on top, dirt barrel on bottom, and my favorite autoarchic iron gate just keeps pumping that good ole humus back to the tree farm non-stop.

Anyone else discover weird things they haven't seen before? Definitely going to use this one even more in the future.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
I discovered you can make ACT faster, if you pull with several wooden pipes at once.
And you can make it work 20x faster if you use RC Loader.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Don't barrels have to be filled/refilled on the top? How do you refill the Dirt Barrel in that case?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Manually, would be my guess
It's a 3 item recipe.
can have one barrel behind or on top of the table, one on each side and all of them fed from the top.
product is pulled from the front, bottom or top of the crafting table.
you can connect up to 5 barrels this way and still be able to pull the product out.

edit: shoulda read more carefully. it's a 2 item recipe for the humus.
but the same applies. there is no problem attaching pipes to the top of the barrels for autosorting.

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, and since pipes are 'slightly' more intelligent, no humus going to the wrong barrel.

Nice idea bout the multi-pipe on the ACT, never thought of that.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced Machines don't know how to say no to items in its fuel slot.. I usually just stick a piece of bread or something in there, something that won't ever actually come through the system to be processed.

As of 1.4.2, red bricks from the BiomesXL mod are transparent. This means light will shine through them like glass. I used red bricks in a pattern on my floor and didn't have to use any extra lighting downstairs because the sunlight passed right through. You can also sit them above solar panels and the panels still receive sunlight.

4 Creosote Tanks, 3 Blast Furnace, and 2 7x7x8 Iron Tanks lagged my game hard. Something about multiblock structures? Not entirely sure. I took them all out and I'm back to a much more acceptable framerate.

Whenever you find a village, look for the beekeeper's house- it's made partially with cherry wood so they stick out. Most of them have two apiaries, sometimes with frames and sometimes with bees. I don't think I've crafted any apiaries, actually. And the Beekeeper villager's usually have great deals (2 wheat for a Mysterious Comb? OK!). The best deal to look out for though, is an emerald for some amount of proven frames. These are the best frames you can get for beekeeping and you can't make them yourself (so I've read). I usually buy them out when I find them.

A bug in the FTB Beta pack- magmatic crucibles + magma engines. Once you get a diamond drill and a lappack, head on to the nether and blast through netherrack. For a more effective trip, bring a bunch of digger's backpacks.. I made about 8 for this occasion (that's 110 stacks of netherrack!). Just dig until you run out of energy on your lappack. The trick is that the magmatic crucible uses 4000 MJ to turn 1 netherrack into 1000 mB of lava (1 bucket's worth). This bucket of lava will then burn for 18000 MJ in a magmatic engine.. That's 14000 MJ extra! Talk about conservation of energy.. One crucible can run up to 18 engines at full capacity, although if you don't manually start a few of them with buckets of lava it'll take a while to get them all up to operational levels. Just feed 6 of the engines back into powering the crucible and you've got 12 magma engines running at 4 MJ/t, so 48 MJ/t extra energy. Enjoy it while it lasts! This exploit has already been handled in newer versions of TE.

Mining with Steve's Carts: Generate a Mystcraft age with wooden tendrils and let your mining cart go free. It will keep itself fueled with logs! For bonus mining action, generate a mushroom island single biome world, where hostiles don't spawn- even in complete darkness! Bonus bonus, put mineshafts in the age and you've now got free tracks!

That's probably enough..

ZeSapper

Jul 29, 2019
As of 1.4.2, red bricks from the BiomesXL mod are transparent. This means light will shine through them like glass. I used red bricks in a pattern on my floor and didn't have to use any extra lighting downstairs because the sunlight passed right through. You can also sit them above solar panels and the panels still receive sunlight.

Pretty sure that's no longer the case. In my 1.4.5 Magic World I've used them quite extensively for towers and it still needed to be torched up.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
putting few engines dont do same effect?
It's complicated. I tried it, by, when engines tick into tube at exactly same time, only one item is pulled. And engines synchronise when chunk is reloaded so they do start ticking at same time after a while.
It can be bug of certain version, but either way, more pipes is more reliable.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Another option to speed up ACT is to use energy cells as an engine, just set their output to 1 MJ/T and enjoy the stream of 20 items/s. Overall energy cell is one of the better blocks recently added in technical mods, due to their versatility. You can use them as energy storage, transport, limiters or just on/off switches; to quickly transport items, get exact amount of items (specially useful in my automatic potion brewery in progress, redstone engines take too much time to pulse for my liking), control your fuel usage, quickly build things with fillers or drain lakes with pump and void pipe. In my opinion this is the best addition to BC since gates.

I prefer more general machines to specific (dispenser > liquid transposer or scrapboxinator, vanilla redstone + RP2 wires to hide things > RP2 gates etc.). However this broad functionality must make sense, anyone remember stripe pipes?

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
Another option to speed up ACT is to use energy cells as an engine, just set their output to 1 MJ/T and enjoy the stream of 20 items/s. Overall energy cell is one of the better blocks recently added in technical mods, due to their versatility. You can use them as energy storage, transport, limiters or just on/off switches; to quickly transport items, get exact amount of items (specially useful in my automatic potion brewery in progress, redstone engines take too much time to pulse for my liking), control your fuel usage, quickly build things with fillers or drain lakes with pump and void pipe. In my opinion this is the best addition to BC since gates.

I prefer more general machines to specific (dispenser > liquid transposer or scrapboxinator, vanilla redstone + RP2 wires to hide things > RP2 gates etc.). However this broad functionality must make sense, anyone remember stripe pipes?

This seriously works? Ohhh, this is perfect for a couple insane ideas I have. Didn't know you could do that with an energy cell.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
I learned that with a solar panel, an electric engine, and a cactus farm, i can produce MORE CACTI THAN THERE HAS EVER BEEN.

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
In Twilight Forest 1.14, planting a Canopy sapling can result in two different trees.

Use bonemeal on it and it grows into a canopy tree.

Let it grow naturally and it becomes a nifty rainbow tree.

ollie299792458

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced Machines don't know how to say no to items in its fuel slot.. I usually just stick a piece of bread or something in there, something that won't ever actually come through the system to be processed.

4 Creosote Tanks, 3 Blast Furnace, and 2 7x7x8 Iron Tanks lagged my game hard. Something about multiblock structures? Not entirely sure. I took them all out and I'm back to a much more acceptable framerate.

Whenever you find a village, look for the beekeeper's house- it's made partially with cherry wood so they stick out. Most of them have two apiaries, sometimes with frames and sometimes with bees. I don't think I've crafted any apiaries, actually. And the Beekeeper villager's usually have great deals (2 wheat for a Mysterious Comb? OK!). The best deal to look out for though, is an emerald for some amount of proven frames. These are the best frames you can get for beekeeping and you can't make them yourself (so I've read). I usually buy them out when I find them.

A bug in the FTB Beta pack- magmatic crucibles + magma engines. Once you get a diamond drill and a lappack, head on to the nether and blast through netherrack. For a more effective trip, bring a bunch of digger's backpacks.. I made about 8 for this occasion (that's 110 stacks of netherrack!). Just dig until you run out of energy on your lappack. The trick is that the magmatic crucible uses 4000 MJ to turn 1 netherrack into 1000 mB of lava (1 bucket's worth). This bucket of lava will then burn for 18000 MJ in a magmatic engine.. That's 14000 MJ extra! Talk about conservation of energy.. One crucible can run up to 18 engines at full capacity, although if you don't manually start a few of them with buckets of lava it'll take a while to get them all up to operational levels. Just feed 6 of the engines back into powering the crucible and you've got 12 magma engines running at 4 MJ/t, so 48 MJ/t extra energy. Enjoy it while it lasts! This exploit has already been handled in newer versions of TE.

Mining with Steve's Carts: Generate a Mystcraft age with wooden tendrils and let your mining cart go free. It will keep itself fueled with logs! For bonus mining action, generate a mushroom island single biome world, where hostiles don't spawn- even in complete darkness! Bonus bonus, put mineshafts in the age and you've now got free tracks!

That's probably enough..
It is still xonservation of energy as you have to ibput netherrack

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Today, I learned: That Saplings and Apples only come out of the top of a Logger, after wondering for hours why my trees kept dying out xD

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
If ou
Today, I learned: That Saplings and Apples only come out of the top of a Logger, after wondering for hours why my trees kept dying out xD
If a chest is on the side, it'll take it all! Or it used to.

I learned that covers, despite dire saying so, are not clear, and solar panels will NOT work through them. Unless its a glass one.