Today I Learned

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
I keep wracking my brain trying to come up with ideas that feel less cookie cutter and more my own. Progress has been slow in my world from the lack thereof...

In the meantime, I've learned some things that I would like share. (Unleashed Pack is what I use, BTW.)

One) On the topic of squid farms to get ink sacs for a "OP" biomass farm... I learned that ALL vanilla "dyes" work in the device.
- A harvester will harvest grass and flowers
- There appears to be a recipe that turns Industrial Fertalizer into Forestry's Fertalizer (Which subsequently, works like bonemeal on grass blocks.)

Two) Unrelated to the above, I've been working with the Programmable Rednet Controller in conjunction with buildcraft gates and have discovered the Schmitt Trigger! I'm loving the ability to finally smooth out input that can be spammy when using the gates as sensors in certain scenarios.

Three-ish) I've cheated a little in my world in relation to Calclavia's MFFS... But it takes the complication out of a powerful setup that can "clean up" vanilla bedrock and leave it looking pretty/clean! (Like flossing after using a quarry toothbrush!) (Warning!!! Laggy as all hell if you go full scale!)

Four-ish) I've also used an "exploit" using the force wrench and a certain Twilight Forest block to clean up the bedrock of a maze. Thanks buildcraft for "fixing" your quarry... (My opinion, but I think there are times that either bedrock should not be used, or there should be a way to remove it. Yes, strange of me to say despite having creative powers...)

So what do you think you have discovered that has not been shared or is little well known on these forums?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Plugins for Forestry adds all sorts of stuff, like the fertilizer recipe and allows all liquids to be used in everything (such as ethanol in biogas engines).

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Plugins for Forestry adds all sorts of stuff, like the fertilizer recipe and allows all liquids to be used in everything (such as ethanol in biogas engines).

It's funny how we actually had a discussion with Sengir about this, that the recipe requiring apatite was annoying and how he refused to also accept the other 'fertilizers'. And then another mod adds it anyway :D

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
Something to note: If you like using IC2 power and want to fuel it through MFR biofuel, get the Unifier to turn it into ethanol that works in the Biogenerator for IC2.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
It's funny how we actually had a discussion with Sengir about this, that the recipe requiring apatite was annoying and how he refused to also accept the other 'fertilizers'. And then another mod adds it anyway :D

There is literally no way to stop this, without going to GregTech extremes - which can then be defeated in the manner Tinker's Construct did, so it's still no way to stop it.

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
What? You mean instead of using apatite?
HOW DO PEOPLE STILL NOT KNOW THIS?
There is literally no way to stop this, without going to GregTech extremes - which can then be defeated in the manner Tinker's Construct did, so it's still no way to stop it.
He could ask nicely. Which is something only Greg wouldn't do.
Getting away from that, there is nothing more satisfying than a poo powered farm. Except for meat powered engines.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
HOW DO PEOPLE STILL NOT KNOW THIS?

Because there are so much to do. Bees, automated crafting, make sure that there are energy enough. And when I have found apaitie it has been about 5 stacks. Now I have about 2000 units and with ash from peat-engines I get so much so I dont need for a long time.

carmont492

Jul 29, 2019
I have quarries in different biomes in mystcraft worlds, so I get plenty of sand and apatite, I don't do any faring yet, but when I do, needless to say, I won't have a fertiliser shortage for a while.

hogahoga

Jul 29, 2019
Will making lapis from uu then truning it into biofuel (bio reactor) then eu again make a net loss????

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Apatite + Ash = Fertilizer lasts an incredibly long time in a Forestry Multifarm. That's what I did for the longest time. Still, the Composter to brown Industrial Fertilizer to blue Forestry Fertilizer is worth it, if only to remove the one very small maintenance activity of harvesting Apatite every few weeks.

Reactions: Niels Henriksen

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Interestingly- rip the new Gregtech (for 1.5.x) out of its comfort zone [unhinged]; stick everything on full hard and then whack it in with the other mods where it belongs [unleashed]; and you get a fairly neat tech tree; Tcons smeltery is a fetching start for ores and tool forging, and build into using tools to assemble some basic machines.

Will making lapis from uu then truning it into biofuel (bio reactor) then eu again make a net loss????

Lapis needs 4uu- unless you're running the bioreactor at full efficiency and cutting with scrap. Even then I have my doubts, and said loop will need additional inputs.
There's probably easier/more efficient energy loops than this.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I found a youtube video that perfectly describes how I dungeon in Minecraft.

Everyone should get a Force Wrench and try this some time. I haven't had this much fun in ages! I mean, it's been like 3 ages since I've been able to do a good dungeon run. Other then looting pages, it's quite dull.