Tips?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yeah, but since the blast furnace requires Coal Coke for fuel, another reason to get the Coke Ovens up soon (double since it's just sand and clay). And in the DW20 pack, I think the Blast Furnace is the only way to get Steel (only way I've found anyway, I'm waiting on my 28 iron blocks to smelt now so I can build a Steam Turbine).
I've got a steel block, 28 bottles of creo oil, and 17 steel bars, all thanks to loot. Railcraft puts a lot of it's materials as loot in villages and mineshafts.[DOUBLEPOST=1359204136][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just wondering but, what are good engines to power a quarry or a logger / abrotorum or how the planter is called. Cuz i'm low on coal atm i've tried to make a automatic tree farm, but i need coal all the time for my quarry and tree farm also, so yeah, :/
Do a steve's carts setup for the tree farm. Big investment, but once mine was up and running, within about an hour, my wood and plank barrels are full, I have tons of saplings for biogas, and lots of charcoal from the sawmills sawdust. I don't need coal for a fuel source at all now.

Target

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a steel block, 28 bottles of creo oil, and 17 steel bars, all thanks to loot. Railcraft puts a lot of it's materials as loot in villages and mineshafts.[DOUBLEPOST=1359204136][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do a steve's carts setup for the tree farm. Big investment, but once mine was up and running, within about an hour, my wood and plank barrels are full, I have tons of saplings for biogas, and lots of charcoal from the sawmills sawdust. I don't need coal for a fuel source at all now.
Any links or so on how to make it?

FavoriteFox

Jul 29, 2019
Make a second world were you can experiment and try out stuff in creative mode before you build them in your main world. It will save you a lot of time.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'll give you an overview. I basically experimented in a creative world first to get it working, then worked out the resource cost in my real game world.

Get a Cart Assembler made first. This is your crafting table for carts. All the different components are put together here, along with coal to power it. Takes around 12 minutes to assemble to cart.

Components you need for the cart are a Wood Cutter (most expensive), Coal Engine and Internal Storage.
Blocks you need are a Cargo Manager, an advanced detector rail, and rail track. Place the detector rail next to the cargo manager, and make a note of which colour face of the Cargo Manager is touching the detector rail.

In the GUI of the cargo manager click the little square box with the multi-colours in it to switch the icon background to the colour of the face touching the cargo manager.
Clicking the icon switching between different parts of the cart.
Clicking the arrow changes the direction of flow.

The CM interface allows you to set up to 4 processes, that occur from top left to bottom right. Once the bottom right has been processed, the cargo manager releases the cart and sends it on it.s way.

First thing to set is the chest icon, representing the cargo space. Change the arrow to point at the cargo manager. This tells the CM to unload all the inventory of the cart into the manager.
Next, set the top right icon to the tree, representing saplings. Make sure the arrow points to the cart. This forces the cargo manager to fill up the cart with all available saplings. The cart can hold 3 stacks.
Lastly, set one of the remaining bottom two to engine, pointing to the cart. The cargo manager will fill the cart with fuel, which will be the logs the cart has harvested.

Then all you need to do is work out a system for pulling out the excess materials from the cargo manager to your sorting system.

I posted about it here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/help-how-to-get-started-with-steves-carts.8736/ along with a final screenshot of my setup.

Malkeus Diasporan

Jul 29, 2019
With the Direwolf20 pack i usually go looking for a village straight away prior to even punching a tree. Once i have found a village i collect Food from there farms and the wood that surrounds it then i see if there are any good trades with any of the villagers because there all gong to be dead pretty soon. I usually take over a church, blacksmith or if its available a large house. Then its mining time!
*snip*
Dig 1x3 hole, push villager into hole, place block in top of hole. I do this at every village I find, bc you never know when you will want to start breeding the little buggers, and this keeps them around indefinently. On smp servers, I tend to hide them under blocks that blend well with their surroundings, and place a map marker. No Villager For YOU!
"Try not to cry little villager, its for you own good!"

Reactions: purple goldfish

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
Just wondering but, what are good engines to power a quarry or a logger / abrotorum or how the planter is called. Cuz i'm low on coal atm i've tried to make a automatic tree farm, but i need coal all the time for my quarry and tree farm also, so yeah, :/

try to get a peat bog up as soon as possible, never burn coal for fuel again :D

if you're wondering what you should burn your peat in, I hear that steam boilers are fairly efficient. Steves carts also take peat instead of coal, as do turtles.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but since the blast furnace requires Coal Coke for fuel, another reason to get the Coke Ovens up soon (double since it's just sand and clay). And in the DW20 pack, I think the Blast Furnace is the only way to get Steel (only way I've found anyway, I'm waiting on my 28 iron blocks to smelt now so I can build a Steam Turbine).

You can use charcoal in the blast furnace also, it just takes more of it, but as it's renewable it's the way I go. I don't make coal coke, I make creosote oil making charcoal in a coke oven, and I make any other charcoal I need in other furnaces.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Or avoid computer craft and play the game yourself instead of getting turtles to do everything ¬.¬ but seriously if you're a starter and don't even know about pulverizers, don't even look into computer craft, IMO it's one of the hardest most boring mods out there, and the results are never great they can always be replicated by a machine.

TBH if you can use computer craft you're half way to making your own mods, it's a modders mod.
Its only boring if you copy programs that other people have written. Write them yourself and you'll see how fun things are when they work exactly as you told it too.

As for things to help starting out.
Go strip mining at bedrock for a while until you stock up on diamonds, gold, redstone, coal and iron.
take that and build a powered furnace and a pulverizer connected with gold conductive pipe and a couple of sterling engines.
Once that's built build a few coke ovens and cook your coal into coal coke, you will be wasting a lot of resources simply using coal when coal coke is so easy to make.

That is pretty much the easiest and fastest way to start-up and everything else can either be added on or use the same resources for power.

Target

Jul 29, 2019
Just a question, I'm trying to make a tree farm with steve's cart mod now, but the tracks are, pretty hard to make imo :/ Anyone knows a good way how to easy this?

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
There is a config file to put in a vanilla-ish recipe into railcraft, maybe someone else can elaborate more.

remember that once you have a rolling machine in railcraft, you can make your tracks out of bronze, iron or steel. The recipe has actually changed from vanilla so that if you use steel, you get 2.66x as much track per iron than you used to in vanilla. It does cost more wood though.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of people are giving you specifics, but let me give you an overview so you can plan. Right now for Direwolf20 there is basically one big decision you need to make: "Am I playing an IndustrialCraft-centric early game, or am I not?"

IC2 has a ton of cool items, a very forgiving and easy-to-work with power source, and the worldgen trees it adds aren't too hard to farm. So in the early game, IC2 is way easier. As you progress in IC2 you'll find that it's sort of its own world; you get a lot of amazing items that don't interact in any way with the "rest of minecraft". For example, IC2 has great mining tools but and armor they don't work with enchantments. IC2 has a ton of machines and its own agriculture system that doesn't interact at all with the rest of minecraft. Fortunately, IC2 is a huge mod and is generally well designed (when Gregtech isn't there messing it up), so you never feel bored.Most of the newbies I talk to on my server hear my headaches about piping and engines heating up and cooling down and decide to go with IC2. It's just easier at the beginning.

If you go the other route and aim for Thermal Expansion machines, you get into a world that has a lot more options. Suddenly Forestry is there, RedPower 2 becomes a bigger player (because blulectric engines exist and for some applications they're simply the best option), you have a lot more possible fuel sources and engines, and Thaumcraft mixes really well into that world since it provides very few specialized tools. Right now I am using a RailCraft mining bore in addition to Wands of Excavation to do very very fast diamond mining, and it's incredible how well it all works together! But beware, TE machines are way more powerful and efficient, but also tend to blow up unless you keep an eye on them. Automation of power control is late game in the BuildCraft world (although you can get there with RedPower2 much earlier if you're not afraid of making some devices), whereas its a builtin feature of IC2 power.

If you watch the most recent season of Let's Play for Direwolf20, you'll see he barely touches IndustrialCraft and really only uses it as a way to run the bare minimum of machines he needs for his Diamond Drill and Mining Laser. He's an advanced player who also knows the mods inside and out, so this is easier for him than it is for a beginner.

In any case, your first few hours will be like any Minecraft game except you're going to be hunting for specific things early on (e.g., rubber trees or gold) to help bootstrap your ore processing. And you can split the difference, but the high end of both these systems gets so involved that I think you'll find it easier to sort of focus your plans at the start.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Target

Jul 29, 2019
Another question: I recently noticed that my compressor kept exploding from MFE, and I was like ? After searching this up I've noticed it received to much energy it could handle, so I've searched around and I found out about the rotary macerator, but, why can't I make it?

Yeraze

Jul 29, 2019
Another question: I recently noticed that my compressor kept exploding from MFE, and I was like ? After searching this up I've noticed it received to much energy it could handle, so I've searched around and I found out about the rotary macerator, but, why can't I make it?
The Rotary Macerator requires the "Advanced Machines" mod, which isn't part of the Direwolf20 pack.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
regular macerators overclocked are far far far (lot's of fars) better than the rotary anyway... all you have to do is either use an LV transformer (3 dots face the higher voltage) OR make an transformer upgrade for it.