Tips?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Target

Jul 29, 2019
Well, do u have like, any tips for a newbie in FTB? How to find alot of diamonds, or what is good to power a quarry, how to make a automatic treefarm etc? Anyone could give me some tips or so to enjoy this modpack even more? :) (I'm using the direwolf pack btw)

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
mad starting strats: make a pulverizer, powered furnace, conductive piping and a couple sterling engines. This will let you double your ore output for a relativity cheap starting price.

Once you have that you can do basically anything from there, make a farm, start some magics, etc.

Reactions: Quesenek

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Use computercraft for early automation of things, like mining and large buildings. Use programs already written by others, or take the time to do it yourself.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Or avoid computer craft and play the game yourself instead of getting turtles to do everything ¬.¬ but seriously if you're a starter and don't even know about pulverizers, don't even look into computer craft, IMO it's one of the hardest most boring mods out there, and the results are never great they can always be replicated by a machine.

TBH if you can use computer craft you're half way to making your own mods, it's a modders mod.

Yeraze

Jul 29, 2019
If you plan on doing anything with rails _ever_, get a Coke Oven up early. Creosote and Steel take a long time, and you don't want to have to wait later.

And use the RP2 gems for good sturdy tools (Picks, Swords, Axes) before you get into IC2 Drills or Thaumcraft tools. They're cheap and easy to find, and last a good while.

Also, learn to use the RP2 Seed Bags & Sickles. Makes running a wheat farm, carrot farm, or Flax farm a breeze. A Carrot farm makes a simple near-infinite food source, and a small 8x8 flax farm will make more string than you can ever hope to use.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, coke ovens take forever to produce anything worth while in resources, but a blast furnace itself takes a while to build considering it needs magma creams.

Yeraze

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but since the blast furnace requires Coal Coke for fuel, another reason to get the Coke Ovens up soon (double since it's just sand and clay). And in the DW20 pack, I think the Blast Furnace is the only way to get Steel (only way I've found anyway, I'm waiting on my 28 iron blocks to smelt now so I can build a Steam Turbine).

Ghard0157

Jul 29, 2019
With the Direwolf20 pack i usually go looking for a village straight away prior to even punching a tree. Once i have found a village i collect Food from there farms and the wood that surrounds it then i see if there are any good trades with any of the villagers because there all gong to be dead pretty soon. I usually take over a church, blacksmith or if its available a large house. Then its mining time!

I then make my first machines i like to change the initial machines around to keep it fresh but i do try to stick to 1 mod's machines for my ore doubleing and cooking needs till i have an automatic sorting system that takes care of my ores for me, During the creation of this system i will branch out to multiple power sources and machines from different mods as its easier to get the basics set up now that having to rewire it all later.

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion has some fantastic machines to get you started, and you can just slap stirling engines on top of them (pulverizer, sawmill, powered furnace, induction smelter). Soon after, you will want to start advancing up the tech tree in IndustrialCraft 2. If you're new to FTB, and using direwolf's pack, solar is an easy energy source to learn and use.

If you're fond of automatic mining, a quarry is a good way to go. You can also try the filler on clear mode (cheaper but messier), or a computercraft turtle on "excavate." They'll all do the job. To the question of "what power source should I use for X?" I always respond, "Whatever you can produce cheaply." If you have 100 solar panels on your base, grab a swath of them and slap them on an electrical engine. If you have biomass, plug them into bio engines.

The best way to find diamonds...really, the best way... is to craft a mining laser, turn it onto horizontal mode, and go to Y=10. And bring a silk touch or fortune pick.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
My tips:
  1. Find a small hill and dig into the side of it and set up a small base there
  2. Go mining until you have at least 3 or 4 iron
  3. make an iron pickaxe and go mining some more
  4. Find a Rubber tree, grab its saplings and make a farm to collect the resin
  5. Go out and kill a lot of mobs and get 8 minium shards and make a minium stone
  6. Make a Generator, some copper cables, an extractor and macerator and hook them up to each other
  7. mine some more and get enough diamonds for a diamond drill, make a diamond drill and a batpack, charge both up in the generator before mining
  8. Make a Quarry and start making some solar panels with a batbox or MFE
  9. After that you are pretty much ready to go and explore every mod from Thaumcraft to advancing the IC2 tree, I can't guide you after this because this is where you can start your experimentation with mods and have your fun

Unium

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't see any mentione on wich pack are you playing, so i'll assume you went either to DW20 pack or Mindcrack pack. Either way you need to start off by playing some 2 hours only on vanilla style. Only after you have a good shelter, a nice source of food, some animals to breed you should go to mode complicated stuff.

What you should do is only up to you set goals on your own. But there are some stuff you need before going to those amazing endgame items. First you'll need a lot of resources. So try going on a automated mining systems, like a quarry or some turtles. Second you'll need a lot of energy... so try figure out a way of storing energy to all your needs, and keep in mind there are a lot of diferent energy types in those packs, some are interchangeble some aren't. Third... build awesome... there are no better feeling than build the biggest most awesome progect in this packs that actually works and/or have a purpose.

PS: Ask people about their own progects.. maybe you'll find something to work on.

cumpz Uni

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't see any mentione on wich pack are you playing, so i'll assume you went either to DW20 pack or Mindcrack pack. Either way you need to start off by playing some 2 hours only on vanilla style. Only after you have a good shelter, a nice source of food, some animals to breed you should go to mode complicated stuff.

What you should do is only up to you set goals on your own. But there are some stuff you need before going to those amazing endgame items. First you'll need a lot of resources. So try going on a automated mining systems, like a quarry or some turtles. Second you'll need a lot of energy... so try figure out a way of storing energy to all your needs, and keep in mind there are a lot of diferent energy types in those packs, some are interchangeble some aren't. Third... build awesome... there are no better feeling than build the biggest most awesome progect in this packs that actually works and/or have a purpose.

PS: Ask people about their own progects.. maybe you'll find something to work on.

cumpz Uni
he mentioned that he is using direwolf20 in the OP at the end of the post

Reactions: Unium

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
:D
tips:
1) dig into side of a hill to start. make indoor corn farm - corn = most lovely indeed. Cook the cobs to get a nice food source, cook the spare seeds to make popcorn.
2) first goal is a little tin, copper, iron, gold, and redstone. With these materials make 1 aqueous accumulator and 2 to 4 hobbyist steam engines.
3) after steam engines, are set up, get a pulverizer and an induction furnace and a powered furnace. Now you have everything you need to double ores, cook things, and get rich slag which you can use to create any ingot you want in a pinch.
4) now that you're doubling ores and getting slag for the specific ores you need, choose a tech tree!
- IC2 if you like winning
- Thaumcraft if you are awesome
- More thermal expansion if you want to automate more things (quarries, builders, magma crucibles, bees, etc)
- Red power and Railcraft for sorting and for being a baws (<3 bluelectric alloy furnace, bluelectric furnace, and the frame motors)

IC2, steves carts, buildcraft and computer craft give you the tools for automated mining, which is always one of my first priorities once I'm done worrying about food and shelter and ore doubling. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, but one of the easiest to get is a mining turtle (3 diamonds req). Put it on the surface, put a chest directly behind it, and then tell it to "excavate 20" and it will start digging a nice hole for you. It will even fuel itself off the coal it finds and also return periodically to the chest to drop off mined ores.

Some of the easiest research projects to do in thaumcraft are the metal transmutations. As a hint, research things that tend to change along with the metal you want to transmute into (or something similar to the metal you want to transmute into) (another hint, you need to do gold first). This will give you more options if you're out of rich slag, though it does tend to pollute the environment if you do it en masse.

The IC2 electric jetpack is amazingly cheap to build for what it grants you, and can be charged in a battery box. Even if you're not doing the IC2 tree, greatly consider getting a basic generator, a batbox, and a jetpack just for the power of flight.

You can create the recipe for bog earth and plant it down near water by yourself. It will turn into peat that you can dig up with a shovel. This is basically a better version of coal that you can use to fuel all your goodies (works great as a source of steam). Later on you can automate the process with a peat bog. Never use coal for fuel unless you absolutely have to. Coal is for IC2 grinding and railcraft steel. make torches with charcoal (or if you add gregtech, with sulfur). Use peat and charcoal for fuel.

The twilight forest costs 1 diamond to enter, but when you do you will find a world of proper dungeons and mazes, abundant resources (except for copper which spawns above layer 40 while the twilight forest is only around 36 layers tall at ground level), and a means to create an xray map that can find ores for you.

Use a mystcraft world to create your thaumic goodies. This will keep the flux levels away from your main base while providing an easily accessible infusing and thaumaturging zone.

Use redstone energy conduits to conduct buildcraft power (MJ) as soon as possible. conductive pipes suck in almost every situation.

the bigger you make your steam boiler, the more efficient it is in the long run, but the less efficient it is when you first start it up.

mob spawners count as 200 soul shard souls. this makes T5 blaze spawners surprisingly easy to get, and allows you to use blaze rods as a renewable source of fuel.

did i mention steam is really efficient? steam is really efficient. a single hobbyist steam engine attached to a powered furnace will do almost a stack of smelting from 1 piece of charcoal if it's heated up.

automatic renewable bluelectric power actually works surprisingly well with the bluelectric engine converting to MJ. It automatically throttles when it's not needed, and is always on, providing a slow trickle of power that will fill any energy cells you need overnight (only in SMP, avoid this in SSP as bluelectric conversion is awfully slow if it's not loaded 24/7)

steam is really efficient.

zeppelins from traincraft don't need to have fuel in them to hover.

mobs can't intentionally sink in water. suspend water over signs stacking sign>water>sign>water to provide yourself an elevator out of your base and a mob proof door on hard mode.

industrial centrifuges turn lava into goodies at 32 eu/tick

steam can be used to make EU at the initial cost of 600 steel and 99 steel every 42 hours of consecutive 100% operation. If you do not use all the power all the time, it will throttle itself down and last weeks.

a nanosuit makes it very hard for blazes to kill you. You can make a nanosuit out of coal, redstone, glass, and rubies.

ruby, sapphire, and green sapphire tools have more durability than iron ones, and mine as fast as diamond ones. they cannot mine obsidian.

thaumium tools have the durability and mining speed of iron but enchant like gold, allowing you to have things like fortune III, unbreaking IV, efficiency IV thaumium pickaxes.

Always have a linking book back home on you at all times. This will save you from lava death in the nether and from mob death elsewhere. it will also keep you from getting lost in the mysts.

If you put a combustion engine on top of an aqueous accumulator, and a lever on the ground next to it as a means to turn the engine on and off, the redstone signal reaches the accumulator. by default, redstone signals turn accumulators OFF and you will get an explosion. Be sure to keep your accumulator in "redstone signal disabled" mode in order to stop all redstone interactions.

Thermal expansion machines automatically push their products through their output face. they don't need wooden pipes or redstone engines. They do need such engines or hoppers or something in order to get items into their inventory. You can put 2 TE machines next to each other and set one to output into the other directly.

i'm outta tips for now :c

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently a big fan of Steve's carts for tree farming, and also wheat farming. If you use a solar engine there's no ongoing cost. Also if you build water channels for the wheat farm you don't need to constantly supply water buckets to your cargo manager. So no humus is required for the tree farm, and no other power. It does take quite a few resources to set up, but you'll soon be swimming in wood/saplings/apples and wheat/seeds, and I think it's worth the effort.

I'm a fan of digging down to bedrock, then sticking floors in and using that as a house.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
:D
tips:
1) dig into side of a hill to start. make indoor corn farm - corn = most lovely indeed. Cook the cobs to get a nice food source, cook the spare seeds to make popcorn.
2) first goal is a little tin, copper, iron, gold, and redstone. With these materials make 1 aqueous accumulator and 2 to 4 hobbyist steam engines.
3) after steam engines, are set up, get a pulverizer and an induction furnace and a powered furnace. Now you have everything you need to double ores, cook things, and get rich slag which you can use to create any ingot you want in a pinch.
4) now that you're doubling ores and getting slag for the specific ores you need, choose a tech tree!
- IC2 if you like winning
- Thaumcraft if you are awesome
- More thermal expansion if you want to automate more things (quarries, builders, magma crucibles, bees, etc)
- Red power and Railcraft for sorting and for being a baws (<3 bluelectric alloy furnace, bluelectric furnace, and the frame motors)

IC2, steves carts, buildcraft and computer craft give you the tools for automated mining, which is always one of my first priorities once I'm done worrying about food and shelter and ore doubling. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, but one of the easiest to get is a mining turtle (3 diamonds req). Put it on the surface, put a chest directly behind it, and then tell it to "excavate 20" and it will start digging a nice hole for you. It will even fuel itself off the coal it finds and also return periodically to the chest to drop off mined ores.

Some of the easiest research projects to do in thaumcraft are the metal transmutations. As a hint, research things that tend to change along with the metal you want to transmute into (or something similar to the metal you want to transmute into) (another hint, you need to do gold first). This will give you more options if you're out of rich slag, though it does tend to pollute the environment if you do it en masse.

The IC2 electric jetpack is amazingly cheap to build for what it grants you, and can be charged in a battery box. Even if you're not doing the IC2 tree, greatly consider getting a basic generator, a batbox, and a jetpack just for the power of flight.

You can create the recipe for bog earth and plant it down near water by yourself. It will turn into peat that you can dig up with a shovel. This is basically a better version of coal that you can use to fuel all your goodies (works great as a source of steam). Later on you can automate the process with a peat bog. Never use coal for fuel unless you absolutely have to. Coal is for IC2 grinding and railcraft steel. make torches with charcoal (or if you add gregtech, with sulfur). Use peat and charcoal for fuel.

The twilight forest costs 1 diamond to enter, but when you do you will find a world of proper dungeons and mazes, abundant resources (except for copper which spawns above layer 40 while the twilight forest is only around 36 layers tall at ground level), and a means to create an xray map that can find ores for you.

Use a mystcraft world to create your thaumic goodies. This will keep the flux levels away from your main base while providing an easily accessible infusing and thaumaturging zone.

Use redstone energy conduits to conduct buildcraft power (MJ) as soon as possible. conductive pipes suck in almost every situation.

the bigger you make your steam boiler, the more efficient it is in the long run, but the less efficient it is when you first start it up.

mob spawners count as 200 soul shard souls. this makes T5 blaze spawners surprisingly easy to get, and allows you to use blaze rods as a renewable source of fuel.

did i mention steam is really efficient? steam is really efficient. a single hobbyist steam engine attached to a powered furnace will do almost a stack of smelting from 1 piece of charcoal if it's heated up.

automatic renewable bluelectric power actually works surprisingly well with the bluelectric engine converting to MJ. It automatically throttles when it's not needed, and is always on, providing a slow trickle of power that will fill any energy cells you need overnight (only in SMP, avoid this in SSP as bluelectric conversion is awfully slow if it's not loaded 24/7)

zeppelins from traincraft don't need to have fuel in them to hover.

mobs can't intentionally sink in water. suspend water over signs stacking sign>water>sign>water to provide yourself an elevator out of your base and a mob proof door on hard mode.

industrial centrifuges turn lava into goodies at 32 eu/tick

steam can be used to make EU at the initial cost of 600 steel and 99 steel every 42 hours of consecutive 100% operation. If you do not use all the power all the time, it will throttle itself down and last weeks.

a nanosuit makes it very hard for blazes to kill you. You can make a nanosuit out of coal, redstone, glass, and rubies.

ruby, sapphire, and green sapphire tools have more durability than iron ones, and mine as fast as diamond ones. they cannot mine obsidian.

thaumium tools have the durability and mining speed of iron but enchant like gold, allowing you to have things like fortune III, unbreaking IV, efficiency IV thaumium pickaxes.

Always have a linking book back home on you at all times. This will save you from lava death in the nether and from mob death elsewhere. it will also keep you from getting lost in the mysts.

If you put a combustion engine on top of an aqueous accumulator, and a lever on the ground next to it as a means to turn the engine on and off, the redstone signal reach the accumulator. by default, redstone signals turn accumulators OFF and you will get an explosion. Be sure to keep your accumulator in "redstone signal disabled" mode in order to stop all redstone interactions.

Thermal expansion machines automatically push their products through their output face. they don't need wooden pipes or redstone engines. They do need such engines or hoppers or something in order to get items into their inventory. You can put 2 TE machines next to each other and set one to output into the other directly.

i'm outta tips for now :c
Is steam efficient?

Target

Jul 29, 2019
Just wondering but, what are good engines to power a quarry or a logger / abrotorum or how the planter is called. Cuz i'm low on coal atm i've tried to make a automatic tree farm, but i need coal all the time for my quarry and tree farm also, so yeah, :/

Unium

Jul 29, 2019
Just wondering but, what are good engines to power a quarry or a logger / abrotorum or how the planter is called. Cuz i'm low on coal atm i've tried to make a automatic tree farm, but i need coal all the time for my quarry and tree farm also, so yeah, :/
RedPower 2 engines... you only need a couple Kinetic Turbines... or more... it only depends on what you want to power with that engine. But either way... Wind is a very good power source with those windmills from redpower ofc.