[Tinkers Construct] Smeltery Automation

KingMRano

Jul 29, 2019
First off how do you guys/girls recommend automating the pulling out of liquids from the smeltery? I have mine set up with Rednet cables but it just seems sloppy and not very creative. That being said anyone happen to know how many ticks it takes for a faucet to pour out an entire block of glass or metal into a Casting Basin?

namae

Jul 29, 2019
I think theres new redstone clock block from extra tools which functions basically same as timer from RP in case you need to give periodic redstone signal.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I believe it's 21 or 36 or somewhere inbetween. Or atleast that's the time I had for a hopper timer. And you're best option for making an automated smeltery look nice, would probably making one that is flush with the wall and hiding the clockwork behind the walls.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tick

Also might help you with your question. A tick is *idealy* once every 0.2 seconds. I say ideally becasue this can be slower depending on your computer.

Er, no - a tick is 50ms - 0.05 seconds. There are 20 ticks to a second ideally, but that number could be less if your server is lagging (i.e. it can't process everything that needs to be done within 50ms).

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've got my PRC set to 100 ticks between pulses. That's time enough to power on the faucets, then let the blocks be hardened and extracted before the next pulse begins.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Faucets? Why on earth would you use those slow things! Just use liquiducts, liquid transport nodes or even waterproof pipe. They're all faster than faucets and easier to automate. Or if you're into mixing your GregoriousT with your mDiyo, Machine Boxes have the highest liquid input/output.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I use a structure pipe & gate next to the casting basin. Inventory Empty = Redstone Signal, getting that signal up one block to the faucet can be either a red pipe wire or a piece of rednet cable. I went the extra mile and put a lever and a PRC to do an "AND" so I could switch off the control with the lever.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Er, no - a tick is 50ms - 0.05 seconds. There are 20 ticks to a second ideally, but that number could be less if your server is lagging (i.e. it can't process everything that needs to be done within 50ms).

Azzanine said:
Also might help you with your question. A tick is *idealy* once every 0.2 seconds. **I say ideally becasue this can be slower depending on your computer.**

That's kinda what I said.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I didnt bother reading all above so if its been stated before disregard, I use hopper under the table & or basin to instantly remove & place in an attached chest, a redstone clock is the easy option & works very well & will be the only part showing as all else is below ground lvl, you can also semi-auto fill the smeltery with a hopper with chest on top attached to the controller, this can be hidden on a side or at back, or you could replace the chests with ender chests or AE import bus & interface, in short its not really that hard to automate the smelter, its depend on the lvl of automate required & how much you wish to have visible.

I personally dont like the rednet logic gates way as it looks messy, in this case, I do love that mod :).

My Tic glass production line is hopper pulling form chest to keep sand refilled, 2 basin with hoppers feeding a chest between them, a redstone clock between the 2 spouts, simple yet efficient, fill up the feeder chest with sand & come back to get stacks of glass as needed, & the only part that looks a bit out of place is the clock.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The only downside to AE automation, is that it means you need one system for each thing you want. Because if you throw Iron and Ferrous in there, what you get back is Invar. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if AE is dumping everything in there, you could end up with lots of unwanted Invar or Electrum. That said, there's no reason not to automate things like glass, or things that can't alloy, like Lead.

KingMRano

Jul 29, 2019
Some good advice given, I appreciate it. Ill check out those redstone clocks, I pretty much only make glass with the smeltery now so I'm not too worried about mixing metals with an AE setup. As for the tick, I had my Rednet wave timer set to 90 and it was acting all sorts of dumb so bringing to back down to 10 seems (at least for my system) to be the best way to auto pull out the glass.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Also as a note make sure your smeltery is always chunkloaded since it'll be automated.

If a basin unloads while it has liquid in it it will never form into a block.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Liquiduct with a lever connected to the drain and the casting basin will work perfectly. No need for a clock

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Funny how the title is automation, but most of the thread is dedicated to automating outputs.

Unleashed 1.1.3: Anyway, I noticed something very odd when combining TE's Pulverizer and TC's smeltery. TE machines are awesome because they output on their own [no damn engine-driven pipes necessary], so I had a brilliant idea to output directly from a pulverizer [being fed cobble from an Extruder] directly into the side of the smeltery controller.

Works, but strange...99% of the sand generated just...disappears! Seems that smeltery accepts first sand input, but then ignores rest until that single sand is smelted...then accepts another. I'm not at a gate-building stage yet, so I solved the problem by having the Pulverizer output into a hopper, which feeds the smeltery. Outputs are hopper extraction underneath table/basin, then into chests.

Unrelated oddity: gravel output [through bottom of Pulverizer] into a hopper that's receiving a redstone signal also disappeared in this setup.

Larandar

Jul 29, 2019
You could just make 3 smeltery:
1: for Copper, Iron, Gold, Lead, Cobalt, and Obsidian -> Output in 1 ingot
2: for Tin, Silver, Ferrous, Aluminium, and Ardite -> Output in 1 ingot
3: for Glass -> Output in block

This way you double all ores, the only thing to make is alloy, and for this the DW20 way is maybe the good one. You can also make a setting with BC and AE since you can now put in inventory only if inventory is empty. Using a chest or two, some BC gates and AE should provide a way to automate alloy in one single smeltery.