Tinkers Construct Clarification (Hammer)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Steel they are only stacking in the case of paper and thaumim because they are different effects. Writable and Thaumic.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
got my hammer over speed 25 before, cant remember the exact details..
cobalt cobalt heads, paper creeper face, ardite handle.
let it run to durability 1, then put electric on it, shit ton of redstone. Also put on the extra modifiers, and smelting (cause I used it to mine quarried stone, and get nether bricks from netherrack)

NightB1ade

Jul 29, 2019
thaum+paper by Saice, on Flickr

<snip>

Note you only get the extra mod slot if you are FULL thaum OR mix Thaum and Paper not when two parts are thuam and your head is something else.

*drops mic walks away*

That's not quite right. The thaumium modifier increase does increase with number of thaumic parts, but like this: 112233

If you actually manage to get a tool with 5 thaumic parts you get 3 extra modifiers.

A tool with 3 thaumic parts and 1 paper would also have 3 extra modifiers.

*kicks mic*

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
That's not quite right. The thaumium modifier increase does increase with number of thaumic parts, but like this: 112233

If you actually manage to get a tool with 5 thaumic parts you get 3 extra modifiers.

A tool with 3 thaumic parts and 1 paper would also have 3 extra modifiers.

*kicks mic*

Show me a tool that has 5 parts to it.

NightB1ade

Jul 29, 2019
Show me a tool that has 5 parts to it.

That's why I said "If". It's a theoretical thing from the code.

Though you should be able to do the 3 thaumic + 1 paper tool to get 3 extra modifiers

EDIT: If I remember correctly, you also get 2 extra modifiers with the 2 component tools if you make the whole tool out of thaumium (e.g. shovel or hatchet).

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Mining speed is an average of the head (hammerhead+2 plates)
Durability is 3x the average of the head [x handle modifier]
Mining level and repair material is the centre head piece.

Stupid speed= 3x cobalt head, ardite handel (stonebound), and 5 doses of redstone.

Personally I use: Steel head+cobalt plates, thaumic handle. Fortune and 4 shots of redstone. (5 when I get a nether star)
Steel head is cheap repairs, and mining level 4. Mining

Reactions: Steel

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you want good mining power and speed but no redstone, a fully stone hammer, with a diamond and obsidian plate will mine anything except Ardite and Cobalt, which you won't encounter in the overworld. Plus the amount of cobble you generate means you'll never need to worry about running home to repair it. A pure Netherrack Hammer will do the same thing in the nether.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
That's why I said "If". It's a theoretical thing from the code.

Though you should be able to do the 3 thaumic + 1 paper tool to get 3 extra modifiers

EDIT: If I remember correctly, you also get 2 extra modifiers with the 2 component tools if you make the whole tool out of thaumium (e.g. shovel or hatchet).

This is the exact point I was making that mixing thaum and paper gives you more when you have your tool head of another mat then if you use just thuam or paper alone with a diffrent tool head.

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
If you want good mining power and speed but no redstone, a fully stone hammer, with a diamond and obsidian plate will mine anything except Ardite and Cobalt, which you won't encounter in the overworld. Plus the amount of cobble you generate means you'll never need to worry about running home to repair it. A pure Netherrack Hammer will do the same thing in the nether.

I generaly do this for my first hammer but I'll normally try to upgrade to steel fairly early on. Why? because once you slap the dimond/emerald upgrade on that stone hammer it goes from needing a couple cobble to repair to nearly a full stack. Sure you'll have cobble to burn but as fast as it wears out its obnoxious having to drag that thing back and forth 60 or so times every few minutes. On the other hand a stack of steel will last for days, tossing a few on it every so often. My goto hammer tends to be full steel (or steel with a piece of thaum) with lapis and as much redstone as I can cram on the thing.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Stupid question : how do you make Thaum parts ? I can't see to use the thaum ingot directly in the parts crafter and my smelter refuses to smelt it.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Stupid question : how do you make Thaum parts ? I can't see to use the thaum ingot directly in the parts crafter and my smelter refuses to smelt it.
Which version of TiC are you using? If you're playing 1.6.x, you may need to go to one of the dev versions to remedy this problem. If you're playing 1.5.2, then I got nuthin'.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
1.6.4 . It might be a TC4-->TiC compat issue. If TC4 changed the item ID and/or name of thaumium, TiC wouldn't recognize it.

ExtraBees Radioactive bee has the same issue with the new/updated IC2 Exp uranium. Radioactive combs don't produce any kind of uranium - just honey drops and wax.

Tomatoebrain

Jul 29, 2019
For a hammer capable of clearing out large areas of stone very quickly i like to use a cobalt head, thaumium plates and binding, then ardite for the rod, get it down to 1 durability then add electric, and stack on the redstone (you may also want to add nether star and diamond+gold block for extra modifiers to add more redstone).

An important note is to take into account haste beacons, which can significantly increase mining speed. However this is not practical when digging long tunnels as you will move out of range of the beacon very quickly.
However this is usefull if you are only attempting to clear an area.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
On a couple servers I've played on it was possible to make a hammer that was too fast. Quite often you'd end up with ghost blocks for the center block when mining and have to relog to get rid of/get around it. Beware. :)

Reactions: SonOfABirch

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
On a couple servers I've played on it was possible to make a hammer that was too fast. Quite often you'd end up with ghost blocks for the center block when mining and have to relog to get rid of/get around it. Beware. :)

All the annoyingness of servers and lag. Generally though the center block will come back and when mined it would mine the other 8 around it.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
For a hammer capable of clearing out large areas of stone very quickly i like to use a cobalt head, thaumium plates and binding, then ardite for the rod, get it down to 1 durability then add electric, and stack on the redstone (you may also want to add nether star and diamond+gold block for extra modifiers to add more redstone).

An important note is to take into account haste beacons, which can significantly increase mining speed. However this is not practical when digging long tunnels as you will move out of range of the beacon very quickly.

holy mother of necro while pretty much quoting my post :p

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I've discovered that certain Forestry trees (Balsa\Lemon for sure probably others of those lines and very very occasionally Hill Cherry) if chopped with an Eff 5 Axe of the Stream in normal (multiple) mode will ghost block you every time, I have to crouch chop those down so the Axe doesn't fire it's more effective mode.

My normal TiC Hammer at the start is just cobble\wood after I've been to the Nether I tend to use a Cobalt head\Ob plate\Thaum plate\Ardite rod then it's just electric\RF and the rest redstone (I don't typically waste a Nether star on my early mass mining tool by the time I can easily get them I have a buttload of gunpowder and a Destruction Catalyst) though I am not sure if the reinforced level works on electric tools.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
though I am not sure if the reinforced level works on electric tools.
it does, when hammers runs out of charge, but you generally don't want for this to happen, so swapping obsidian plate for something better is a good idea.

Predatorkillol

Jul 29, 2019

There is always the sigil of the fast miner from blood magic that gives you portable haste II if you keep up with the blood demands for it.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
There is always the sigil of the fast miner from blood magic that gives you portable haste II if you keep up with the blood demands for it.

...or if you imbue the sigil into a piece of blood armor + master orb = no running blood cost.