Tinkers Construct 1.8.9 thoughts...

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Smeltery also adds in some blocks for auto-casting ingots/tool parts/etc. I haven't personally tried them; I've only ever seen them in NEI. But i'm guessing you could use Thermal Smeltery to make gears automatically in IE:E, if it doesn't utterly wreck the balance.

It doesn't wreck the balance that much. Just more compact and uses RF rather than lava.
And for expert mode you could tweak it in such a way that it would require smeltery parts. Like a couple manulin large tool rods and one of the machine blocks. Youd have to make a smeltery first.
Mariculture also has a compact smeltery, it uses lava though.

Tbh I kinda like the big multiblock smeltery just wish it had more fuel options other than the ludicrous lava. I'd like to get an rf smeltery option that didn't just make it more compact.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Tbh I kinda like the big multiblock smeltery just wish it had more fuel options other than the ludicrous lava. I'd like to get an rf smeltery option that didn't just make it more compact.
Or more fuel types maybe. Or smeltery component blocks that made those fuels last longer.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
It is naturally configured to accept Pyrotheium as a fuel (x2 efficiency.) How else can you make Signalium in the Smeltery?

Also, Flaxbeard's has a nifty little Crucible that tilts into a mold.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It is naturally configured to accept Pyrotheium as a fuel (x2 efficiency.) How else can you make Signalium in the Smeltery?

Also, Flaxbeard's has a nifty little Crucible that tilts into a mold.

I've never made signalium in the smeltery :p

I thought it accepted pyrotheum too now that I think of it.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I've never made signalium in the smeltery :p

I thought it accepted pyrotheum too now that I think of it.
Yeah, most people don't know about that little cross-mod capability. Just chuck the other bits in there, fuel the smeltery with liquid Pyrotheium--Bob's your uncle, alloyed Signalium in there. Won't happen otherwise.

You can even fill Energy Cell Frames with it just by putting it in a Basin and pour Destabilized Redstone in.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Another idea for the gears, just noticed last night with Immersive Engineering it has a Metal Stamp machine, that will stamp ingots into gears (and it's version of plates). Has MineTweaker compatibility, so provides another avenue of approach.
I may configure it so that it needs Plates instead of Ingots, and my plans involve different ways of producing plates at different resource efficiencies.

Reactions: Pyure and Lethosos

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
It can also take Buildcraft fuel, and just about any solid furnace fuel.
Though different fuels have different max temperatures- I think lava only goes to 1500°C
Yes, I learned that a few weeks ago after I got in to Regrowth, it even uses solid fuels. While it doesn't ore double its very compatible with TiCo so you can pretend you are injection molding something by useing it's auto fluid export feature.

Also 1.8.9 and onwards has disposable clay molds that could see some useage in fluid transposers.

So far the only thing TiCo is missing from previous versions is a form of auto repair. Sure wooden tools do regen but it's slow as balls and you have to put up with the random damage sounds.

That being said I think the lack of auto repair is a good thing for the mod. It seems odd that moss would improve a tool. Also tools that don't need repair are odd.

Also the materials the tool is made from matter a bit more. So while it looks like there are less modiers on tools the fact that materials are less inconsequential now means we have more utility.

Id like to see what third party addons will do with this new paradigm. Will they just one up Vanilla TiCo materials? Or will they get inventive with modifiers?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Id like to see what third party addons will do with this new paradigm. Will they just one up Vanilla TiCo materials? Or will they get inventive with modifiers?

As much as I like the latter, my money's on the former.

If they add auto repair, I'd like to see it auto-take the correct material from one's inventory to self repair- rather than free infinite durability.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I like the latter, my money's on the former.

If they add auto repair, I'd like to see it auto-take the correct material from one's inventory to self repair- rather than free infinite durability.
I'd personally like to see a sort of new durability system. Where you can repair some of your damage on the fly. You'd have repairable durability(I was gonna call it permanent damage but that sends the wrong message) and mendable durability.

Repairable durability; is like how durability works now, once it runs out the tool breaks and will need a trip to a tool bench to fix it up.

Mendable durability; can be repaired on the fly in your 2x2 crafting. It will be done via the use of relatively inexpensive whetstones that may or may not have a multiple use and could be tiered.

Essentially how I see the mechanic working is for every amount of mendable damage the tool will take some repairable damage. These factors will be determined by the materials used.
For example iron is a somewhat hard metal but is somewhat brittle and can chip. So it will have more durability but will be less mendable on the fly so evey 10 points of mendable damage accrued you'd take a point of repairable damage.
Bronze on the other hand is softer and as a consequence more malleable. It will have less durability but only take 1 repair damage per 20 mending damage.

If you let the mendable durability run out the tool becomes dull and hardly works, Like it was broken, but can be brought back if you use a Whetstone. Also maybe if you take the it to a toolbench you can fix the mendable damage for free.

This idea essentially gives your tool longer use but simulates a sort of maintaince aspect current TiCo just doesn't have.

In the context of auto repair it could possibly only regen this mendable damage but not affect the repair damage which would still accrue.
However I wouldn't make it as cheap as moss stone. Either it can be a gated/ expensive modifier or a tool part modifier. Maybe purple slime crystal used as a binder? Or if you really wanna be satan make it require some nether stars (piss poor balance mechanic but it can do the job requireing nether access making it mid game).

Tool rods could also mitigate the repair damage. Reinforced can be for negateing the chance if mendable damage. But tool rods could have a shock absorbing modifier that has a chance of negatieng the repair damage. You could even have a material that sends the shock through your player with a chance of hurting you rather then damageing the tool. That would be annoying as wood tool parts are now though.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I've been poking at the 1.8.9 Unstable and I'm very on-board with the TiCo changes. I might not care about half of the modifiers (but I probably didn't before anyway), but I very much like the added abilities, limited modifiers, and much more normalized durability levels. Battery and self-repair really takes a lot away from the game, IMO, when you can make a 'best' tool (much harder now), and then never, ever have to touch it again because it will last you forever.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'd personally like to see a sort of new durability system. Where you can repair some of your damage on the fly. You'd have repairable durability(I was gonna call it permanent damage but that sends the wrong message) and mendable durability.

Repairable durability; is like how durability works now, once it runs out the tool breaks and will need a trip to a tool bench to fix it up.

Mendable durability; can be repaired on the fly in your 2x2 crafting. It will be done via the use of relatively inexpensive whetstones that may or may not have a multiple use and could be tiered.

Essentially how I see the mechanic working is for every amount of mendable damage the tool will take some repairable damage. These factors will be determined by the materials used.
For example iron is a somewhat hard metal but is somewhat brittle and can chip. So it will have more durability but will be less mendable on the fly so evey 10 points of mendable damage accrued you'd take a point of repairable damage.
Bronze on the other hand is softer and as a consequence more malleable. It will have less durability but only take 1 repair damage per 20 mending damage.

If you let the mendable durability run out the tool becomes dull and hardly works, Like it was broken, but can be brought back if you use a Whetstone. Also maybe if you take the it to a toolbench you can fix the mendable damage for free.

This idea essentially gives your tool longer use but simulates a sort of maintaince aspect current TiCo just doesn't have.

In the context of auto repair it could possibly only regen this mendable damage but not affect the repair damage which would still accrue.
However I wouldn't make it as cheap as moss stone. Either it can be a gated/ expensive modifier or a tool part modifier. Maybe purple slime crystal used as a binder? Or if you really wanna be satan make it require some nether stars (piss poor balance mechanic but it can do the job requireing nether access making it mid game).

Tool rods could also mitigate the repair damage. Reinforced can be for negateing the chance if mendable damage. But tool rods could have a shock absorbing modifier that has a chance of negatieng the repair damage. You could even have a material that sends the shock through your player with a chance of hurting you rather then damageing the tool. That would be annoying as wood tool parts are now though.

I like what you're getting at. In real life, there are two ways that tools (well, knives, mostly) can become dull. Usually, the metal at the edge of the blade just gets bent over a little, and a simple steel rod is all you need to straighten it out again. But, gradually, the actual metal at the edge of the blade gets worn away, and no amount of realigning can fix it. So, you need to take more drastic measures and pull out a stone much harder than the steel of the knife and grind away a bit of the metal on the sides, leaving you with a slightly smaller knife. Indeed, people have been doing this for a very long time- what might start as a meat cleaver would gradually be worn down by use and resharpening and put to tasks requiring smaller and smaller knives.

Implementation of this in Minecraft could go something like this: Wood and stone tools are bad and aren't changed. When they break, there's nothing left but the handle.
Metal tools would have several durability bars. The first would run down pretty quickly, but repairing it would just take a few seconds with some near-infinitely-reusable metal sharpener. That'd work for swords and axes, at least; I'm not sure if the act of honing a pick even makes sense, and it certainly doesn't for shovels and hoes.
The second durability bar decreases much more slowly with use, and can be repaired using a stone made with (probably) obsidian or diamond. And some elbow grease.
Repairing this second durability bar would in turn damage the third bar, which represents the actual amount of metal in the tool. No way to repair this without basically reforging the tool entirely.

For swords, I suppose, the third durability bar would have some actual mechanical meaning. A freshly-crafted sword might act similarly to the TiCo Cleaver, hitting hard but being slow to swing. As the blade is honed down, the sword would become lighter and faster to swing, perhaps ending up with something closer to ToCo's Rapier. For other tools... they'd mostly just become less effective over time.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I learned that a few weeks ago after I got in to Regrowth, it even uses solid fuels. While it doesn't ore double its very compatible with TiCo so you can pretend you are injection molding something by useing it's auto fluid export feature.
The crucible furnace does actually ore double normally - it only doing 1.5x is a Regrowth specific change.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Auto repair is a part of vanilla now with Mending enchantments. It just takes experience. Hopefully addons will add repair again. Balance be damned. I use TiCo because vanilla repair and enchanting is tedious.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
I will need to play around with it to understand more, but from what I've read/interpret RotaryCraft's grindstone does something similar.

Yeah, it cannot fully repair an item. The more you repair a specific item using the Grindstone, the lower the 'max repair' amount is. Eventually, the tool will have such little effective durability that it would be more beneficial to build another, rather than constantly repairing one. In the handbook entry for the Grindstone, it is said that it reduces the amount of material in the tool. So for Tinkers', there could be two systems of repair: one involves repairing by reducing the amount of material in the tool, and the other is repairing by using additional material (this way would allow full repairs).

Personally, I'd prefer just having the system of using more material to repair a tool. All I do is carry a tool forge with me. There may need to be balancing changes needed so that I couldn't just do that if a Grindstone-esk system exists.

Reactions: RedBoss

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I like the idea of using experience to help repair/modify a tool-essentially magic to aid magic.
Say 30 levels worth per modifier to fully repair a tool (which give a significant advantage to using the unbreakable modifier)​
And would require bookshelves in an area around the forge to repair/modify (representing crafting knowledge)
1 (or 2?) shelves per level, but the area is fairly large (25x25x25?).
Could include a few other mechanics to give bonuses- anvil gives 5 levels (single bonus- only one anvil)
Relevant villagers (blacksmith, priest, tinker) give a single bonus 20% shelves each. (so 10 shelves count as 16)​

[essentially taking the stronger mechanics from vanilla (designing an exp farm/building a pretty library) and dropping the RNG/repair level cap]

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of using experience to help repair/modify a tool-essentially magic to aid magic.
Say 30 levels worth per modifier to fully repair a tool (which give a significant advantage to using the unbreakable modifier)​
And would require bookshelves in an area around the forge to repair/modify (representing crafting knowledge)
1 (or 2?) shelves per level, but the area is fairly large (25x25x25?).
Could include a few other mechanics to give bonuses- anvil gives 5 levels (single bonus- only one anvil)
Relevant villagers (blacksmith, priest, tinker) give a single bonus 20% shelves each. (so 10 shelves count as 16)​

[essentially taking the stronger mechanics from vanilla (designing an exp farm/building a pretty library) and dropping the RNG/repair level cap]
I'm not fond of the shelf requirement, but it's not a huge deal. I AM a fan of repair. TiCo was initially an option because vanilla enchanting sucks. It got very strong, IMO because of that fact. Forcing drudgery back into the mod is a step backwards. Repair needs to be there. Experience as a cost fits back into vanilla and I'm fine with that.