Time for map reset. What now?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
So on the server I own and manage, we have been playing a DW20 1.6.4 pack with some added goodness (Galacticraft, RotaryCraft and a few others) for quite a few months.

We feel it's time to start afresh now and reset the map ... maybe using an ATG generated world this time.

The question I've been asking myself is, should we stick to this pack, and maybe tweak it a little, or should we consider 1.7?

To be honest I'm still extremely skeptic about 1.7, and I'm not sure if it's a move in the right direction for us.

What do you guys that have experienced 1.7 first hand think?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Having not seen the pack or mod contents it's hard to comment (is there a released list somewhere?) 1.7 is not all bad, there is some badness but it's still very playable.

If you run cauldron on the 1.6 server then nothing really changes, if you don't then you WILL need it, if you're not prepared to run cauldron then stick with 1.6.

I would presume all the DW20 fans are eagerly awaiting the 1.7 pack so when it's released you may find your playerbase shifts onto it anyway giving you little choice but to move to 1.7.

The bad things are mainly chunk genning new worlds, it's painful in 1.7, some say fastcraft helps but for me it does not and have only bad experiences with it. Without cauldron (and single player games will also feel this very badly) you will experience jerkiness in the extreme genning new chunks. To give you an idea of how bad it is, a natura redwood tree (the tall ones) will freeze a client into "not responding" state for approx 20 seconds and yeah that happens in SSP too. With cauldron there's no freeze only a slight (very slight) pause.

I've been playing 1.7 packs now (Bevo's) for several months and hear the same stories throughout different mod packs. Care must be taken on what you enable in new worlds in 1.7 to alleviate some of this chunk genning pressure.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Pre-genning chunks is fine so long as the pack is final or an update doesn't change anything.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I think you all must be smoking. 1.7 is fine.
Seconding this. Chunkgen is the only problem I've run into running a unstable 1.7.10 server with 4-5 players, some updated mods, and a couple added mods, no cauldron or anything like that. I just warn everybody to slow down if they're exploring new regions, problem solved.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
We run 1.7.10 on the Utopia server, we pregenerated ALOT of chunks from spawn. We are just now getting into odd chunk merges and we have explored alot. Just pregen a ton of area one night before opening up the server, it's simple tho not real quick if you do a huge area like we did

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If you didn't know, the 1.7.10 DW20 pack is supposed to be available to the public for testing sometime before the end of October. Several people have played the closed beta on their Twitch streams... Bacon Donut was but has moved on to a new pack called "Madpack" this week while Wyld is still running it. Both have been single player, but neither has had any problems as far as I can see and I've watched both for hours.

There may be some delay on certain mods. EnderIO was just added for certain, while Mystcraft may or may not be there when released, although it was pronounced ready and available on Curse earlier this week and DW has said it would be in the pack.

I'd suggest holding off a week or three to check out the new pack an see if it works for you.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Thanks all for your feedback, but we decided to stick to 1.6.4 for now :)

We'll re-evaluate for 1.7 in a few months, when it's been tried, tested and put through the cleansing fires :D

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Thanks all for your feedback, but we decided to stick to 1.6.4 for now :)

We'll re-evaluate for 1.7 in a few months, when it's been tried, tested and put through the cleansing fires :D
my feelings on 1.7 are mostly
g1359570862392534831.jpg

so many still on 1.6 :p

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
We are doing fine on 1.7.10 only issue is we had to have CrazyPants put in some code to stop the dang squids from spawning. They would overrun us and drop server tick rate down to nothing, OpenBlocks blacklist worked except it would spam the server console with messages and caused the same issue. Sooo CrazyPants added a bit of code into EnderIO to turn off squids before they spawn. We get ink from tall grass through some minetweaker magic I believe

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
my feelings on 1.7 are mostly
g1359570862392534831.jpg

so many still on 1.6 :p
I'm currently working on building a 1.7.10 modpack, it's no specific theme but more of an all-in-one, working on fixing conflicts and figuring out mod use perms such before assembling an alpha test for my server. You're welcome to join if interested once it works.