TickThreading - concurrent entity/tile entity ticks and other optimisations

Kaptinobvius

Jul 29, 2019
I have, but some of them are restricted due to using a 32-bit version of Windows. Point is that they weren't suffering from errors on 1.4, but they are on 1.6. I tried reducing the view distance from 10 to 8 so that clients had to deal with fewer chunks, but this appears to cause a weird bug where the chunks in "rings" 9 and 10 around the player's spawning location never load. In other words, the player logs in, and all chunks within 8 chunks of distance load fine, but chunks 9 chunks away from the original spawn-in location don't get sent to client, nor chunks 10 chunks away, even when the player explores to them. Chunks beyond the 10th chunk load fine too. Resetting fixes the issue, but also reproduces it. Little annoying that players have to reset their connection to the server every time they travel 8 chunks.

I have having similar issues with with my 1.6 servers.

Try changing your chickenchunks.cfg

#The number of ticks to wait between attempting to unload orphaned chunks
cleanuptime=0

Setting this to zero immediately starting forcing the other chunks to load as players approached them.

The Corvid

Jul 29, 2019
Kaptino - you're a life-saver! Worked like a charm.

I do have one question though, due to my limited knowledge of the intricacies of chunk loading/unloading: what other effects on gameplay will setting the cleanup time to zero have?

Kaptinobvius

Jul 29, 2019
Kaptino - you're a life-saver! Worked like a charm.

I do have one question though, due to my limited knowledge of the intricacies of chunk loading/unloading: what other effects on gameplay will setting the cleanup time to zero have?

I have been running with that setting for about 3 weeks now and have not noticed any other effects on our gameplay. But I also have fairly limited knowledge of any "behind the scenes" things happening. So maybe there is and I am unaware, but so far nothing negative.

cpy

Jul 29, 2019
Finally someone, who doesn't take Nallars work for granted and supports it!

That are very good rewards to lure Nallar back to work on.

Hope others will join the party!
I plan to donate, but he should make 1.7.x version because 1.6.4 is broke as hell and no amount of nallars awesome touch will help it. 1.6.4 with lot of mods run like shit. Supposedly 1.7 is much better on bug and memory leak and whatever else they can fuck up in mojang department.

The Corvid

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running a 1.6 server with MCPC and it runs very smoothly considering there is no TickThreading. All you need is decent hardware and some sensible rules regarding reduction of server strain (maximum number of running quarries per person, chunkloaders turning off when players are offline, etc) and it runs smoothly. The thing I have noticed, though, is that it may be an issue with zombies. A lot of other people running 1.6 servers are having issues that I'm simply not experiencing, and the only difference I can see is that I disabled zombies on my server (using MCPC and Essentials Protect) to avoid supposed memory leaks associated with the new AI.

Francis Baster

Jul 29, 2019
mcpc is broke to hell, everything else is fine
I have yet to have any negative experience with MCPC, and it's seen extensive use on my server. Of course the possibility exists that the problems are edge case or that I am oblivious.

cpy

Jul 29, 2019
Have anyone tested performance of 1.7.x? Since 1.6.x ran like shit i have high hopes for 1.7, anyone did some heavy load compared to 1.6?

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, people are still using this thread.

Guess now's a bit late to get a 1.7 version working?

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
Wow, people are still using this thread.

Guess now's a bit late to get a 1.7 version working?
why should it ever be too late, there are still a lot of people in the hope of a 1.6.4 build ;)

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
Oops, meant to say 1.6.4 there.
its quite crazy, without tickthreading I noticed that the problematic mods are not the old technic mods. Its more like blood magic, thaumcraft, lycan mobs, (rotary craft), (thermal expansion, pneumatic upgrade with ore directionary), (mfr with rednet with linked lists)..

Is a bit motivation back on updating tt and planet side out?

xBlizzDevious

Jul 29, 2019
I never realised that this wonderful mod that breaks everything was still around (I don't mean that in an offensive way, by the way. It just does break things).

@nallar, when this mod works, it's the best mod ever. I've used it on either FTB Ultimate or Unleashed (I can't remember which) and it made my server run so much smoother. But I looked for a 1.6.4 version when Monster came out and I could never find one. Just stumbled upon it just now and unfortunately it's not working, I see. I can only hope that everything will be awesome again soon, as your mod is just so handy for FTB. Especially the way I play it.