TickThreading - concurrent entity/tile entity ticks and other optimisations

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

esfisher

Jul 29, 2019
As a programmer myself, I completely understand the lack of motivation that comes from not having fun with a project anymore.

Thank you for giving us this awesome mod, which has helped many servers run smoothly on hardware they otherwise couldn't. I do hope you return to this project in the future, or someone else is able to pick up where you left off.

Joey19982

Jul 29, 2019
Going to stop working on TT for now. Just not fun any more, and that's basically the only reason I was able to invest so much time in it previously.

Sorry.

Thanks for working on it for so long Nallar, my server wouldn't be what it is without you.

saki2fifty

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, this is sad. Sad for the fact that so many people have complained about Minecraft + Multithreading for so long, and then comes along this guy who somehow implemented multithreading on his own volition.

However, and on a positive note (and if you wanna pick apart his comment), he did say "for now". :)

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
well for now may mean 1 week to never :) just have to wait and see. u never know what 2.0 may bring

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, this is sad. Sad for the fact that so many people have complained about Minecraft + Multithreading for so long, and then comes along this guy who somehow implemented multithreading on his own volition.

However, and on a positive note (and if you wanna pick apart his comment), he did say "for now". :)

Yep, might be back at some point. Probably not soon, if at all.

Anyone else is free to continue working on this - the license is very permissive. If you need builds done I can also point the build server at your github, assuming anyone does continue working on it.

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, might be back at some point. Probably not soon, if at all.

Anyone else is free to continue working on this - the license is very permissive. If you need builds done I can also point the build server at your github, assuming anyone does continue working on it.

Wish I was another year into my CS classes as this year is going more in depth into java and systems as a whole and then I might be capable of helping.

Rather odd point on modding I have a harder time trying to compile and obfuscate my own mod more then decompiling > de-obfuscating > fixing the errors from de-obfuscating > recompile to make sure it works before I fix issues > fix the issues that I started the mess for > recompile > re-obfuscate.

But either way Here Here for nallar you made an amazing mod for 1.4.7 and we (as server admins/owners who used it) owe you more then you get.

cpy

Jul 29, 2019
1.4.7 TT made server run like nothing i ever seen before. Hope someone will pickup 1.6.2, anyone? :D

saki2fifty

Jul 29, 2019
1.4.7 TT made server run like nothing i ever seen before. Hope someone will pickup 1.6.2, anyone? :D
Remember, it wasn't only TT that he supported. He supported TT itself along with 30-40 other mods, so whoever picks it up has to take on that responsibility. So it may not even happen, but who knows.

But i'm good. I got my 1.5.2 server, everything looking good and there's a million mods out there that should suffice for 1.5.2 for a long, long time. Who's needs horses??? :) And i'm highly appreciative that I have TT to even use at all so I aint gonna asking for any steaks any time soon.

And for now, im waitin' on my Chinese food to arrive, gonna watch a movie, and kick back a little...

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
I think the main problem is that most of the mods are not build for mutlithreading so it costs a lot of time to add this with tickthreading, wouldnt there be a way to convince them to write mutlithreaded for new mods and rewrites?

jasnatdic

Jul 29, 2019
I think the main problem is that most of the mods are not build for mutlithreading so it costs a lot of time to add this with tickthreading, wouldnt there be a way to convince them to write mutlithreaded for new mods and rewrites?

Thing is Minecraft isn't multithreaded, and so mods written for it aren't multithreaded. The only way for multithreaded mods to be a standard would be for something along the lines of tickthreading to be integrated into Forge (prolly not very likely to happen) or to be written as a parallel standard API with Forge that then all of the mods implement and are also then dependent on (also not very likely to happen.) Other than that the only thing to really do is what Nallar has been doing which is patch every single mod he wanted to multithread.

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
which causes a lot of problems.

maybe we just wait another year until forge took over minecraft and makes everything multithreading :D

jb_aero

Jul 29, 2019
This is still beautiful on 1.5.2, and didn't actually destroy barrels. It still doesn't like AE or Multipart, but nothing from those has broken yet. This brought us from 11tps with 25000 chunks for 27 players to 20tps with 5000 chunks for 22 players. Not sure if it was just the mod or the command line stuff too, but it's like a brand new server, really hoping someone continues this when FTB updates.

MinerDude333

Jul 29, 2019
which causes a lot of problems.

maybe we just wait another year until forge took over minecraft and makes everything multithreading :D

The more likely outcome would be Mojang absorbing Forge like they did Bukkit. I think, though, that that would be a rather big improvement; bringing mod support to vanilla, and all.