TickThreading - concurrent entity/tile entity ticks and other optimisations

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
i limited monsters to 500 / animals to 500 . items to 1k / will try to bump that a little. to see how its going

bumped animals to 1.5 k and monsters to 1000. seems to work a little better for now. will try the last build when the server will be empty .

after future testing. i just stooped the spawner limiter . the load dropped from 40 % to 13 %. will monitor to see if the animals spawn like crazy again.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, running MindCrack V8 with Logic Pipes. No GregTech though. Is there a build of this that is very stable for use with that particular pack? We are sort of hoping to use this on a server with about 6 people that come and go throughout the day, so downtime is not supposed to happen often, if ever.

cronixia

Jul 29, 2019
Annnnnd I'm back with more error reports. Submitted them both to your issue list aswell.

Getting a deadlock, was not on the server at the time, can't tell you what caused it. But I hope this helps.
Set the deadlock time to 90 seconds.

http://pastebin.com/Gan8hq1g

--------------

And for the second one...

Doesn't crash the server as far as I can tell, but it does pop up in the server console.
http://pastebin.com/qFdPebZp

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this looks like it could be the best thing since Forge!

Question about the JVM options indicated in the INSTALL.md file:
Here's what I'm currently using, sans RAM args (I forget the original source of these, it's been a while)
Code:
-server -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=6
-XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500
-XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -XX:+UseParallelGC
vs what the file indicates (both re-arranged slightly to display the differences more clearly)
Code:
-server -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=6
-XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
-XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+UseCompressedOops
Now, my question is basically, are the args indicated in TT better than what I've already got? (I'm no JVM expert, though I can figure out the obvious ones from the terse descriptions in the JVM documentation)
I know that what I'm using is definitely superior to just "-server [ram amount] -jar minecraft_server.jar" as I've seen measured performance increases, but... well, I like to be 'bleeding edge' (pshh, who needs stability!), so if I can switch to something even better (or take the best of both?), I'd like to know! :p

Naolas

Jul 29, 2019
Using build 923 and got a problem with turtles.

Moving turtles in chunk loaded chunks restart randomly. Any idea what is causing this?

Also, how would I edit the config for this?
* Variable tick rate - if a tick region (by default, a chunk) is running slowly, it will get less ticks than chunks surrounding it. Of course, this may cause issues with time-sensitive setups and can be disabled in the config.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
this is mine. and works grate. u need to edit ram and threads for your CPU

Code:
/usr/java/jre1.7.0_11/bin/java -server -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=16 -Xmx5120M -Xms1024M -jar ftbserver.jar nogui

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
The deadlock should be fixed in latest, I'll promote it to stable soon if it's not breaking anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1360784731][/DOUBLEPOST]
Using build 923 and got a problem with turtles.

Moving turtles in chunk loaded chunks restart randomly. Any idea what is causing this?

Also, how would I edit the config for this?
Just set variableTickRate to false in configs/TickThreading.cfg. all config options should have documentation, if any of it doesn't make sense poke me and I'll fix it. I'm not sure about the turtles, can you check if that's still happening on latest? That would indicate chunk unloading of persistent chunks, which should be impossible unless another mod is doing something odd. :s

[DOUBLEPOST=1360784849][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, this looks like it could be the best thing since Forge!

Question about the JVM options indicated in the INSTALL.md file:
Here's what I'm currently using, sans RAM args (I forget the original source of these, it's been a while)
Code:
-XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500
-XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -XX:+UseParallelGC
vs what the file indicates (both re-arranged slightly to display the differences more clearly)
Code:
-XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
-XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+UseCompressedOops
Now, my question is basically, are the args indicated in TT better than what I've already got? (I'm no JVM expert, though I can figure out the obvious ones from the terse descriptions in the JVM documentation)
I know that what I'm using is definitely superior to just "-server [ram amount] -jar minecraft_server.jar" as I've seen measured performance increases, but... well, I like to be 'bleeding edge' (pshh, who needs stability!), so if I can switch to something even better (or take the best of both?), I'd like to know! :p
I can't answer that for you, the best way is to test it yourself! These are options which I've found to work well in most cases, but if you've got the time to tweak settings yourself you may find something better for your server.

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Promoted new stable build, which fixes issues with riding entities (boats/minecarts/etc.).

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
# Whether network ticks should be ran in the main thread.
can you tell me what this option do ? how it affects server performance ? Just curious . after all the tweaks i done to the server. networkticks is on top of the list for lag. ( not that it does lag :p its just on the top of the list,server works grate )

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
# Whether network ticks should be ran in the main thread.
can you tell me what this option do ? how it affects server performance ? Just curious . after all the tweaks i done to the server. this one is on top of the list for lag. ( not that it does lag :p its just on the top of the list,server works grate )
It would improve performance slightly, and apparent performance a lot. (Player actions such as right clicking a block would still be quick, even if TPS was extremely low.) However, there's a high chance that it'll break things in subtle ways, and introduce timing-based dupe bugs.

Smackzter

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm i seem to have a problem. I'm running on a
Xeon [email protected] and 64gb ECC ram but it still performs worse than my old
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/sp_32g_ssd.xml from OVH. Any ideas why this would happen? I use these optimisations:

command = "{JAVA}" -server -Xincgc -Xmx{MAX_MEMORY}M -Xms{START_MEMORY}M -Xmn1024M -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -oss4M -ss4M -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:parallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -cp "{JAR}" -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -jar "{JAR}" nogui
#"{JAVA}" -Xmx{MAX_MEMORY}M -Xms{START_MEMORY}M -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -jar "{JAR}" nogui
#"{JAVA}" -server -Xincgc -Xmx{MAX_MEMORY}M -Xms{START_MEMORY}M -Xmn1024M -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -oss4M -ss4M -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:parallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -cp "{JAR}" -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -jar "{JAR}" nogui

It's ofc in Multicraft explaining the variables such as {START_MEMORY}.
Right now we're running on about 15 TPS at worst when there are about 60 people online. On the old box it ran completely fine.
Would installing this help out and does anyone have an idea of what could cause the weird problem after the server upgrade?

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
hm. ur java start its a little on the heavy side. where did you get it ? it looks like it needs a clean up.
TT does help . also /profile command tells you where the problem is. and you work from there