Ticks per second?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrRobbie

Jul 29, 2019
I am wondering how many ticks per second there are? I want to say 20 and that depends on lag but not 100% sure.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The max is 20, but yes, lag plays quite a big role in that.

I know that they use a command on ForgeCraft that gives them the ticks per seconds (/tps), but I am unsure if it is a normal command or if it is the Forge Permissions or some other mod they have.

MrRobbie

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh ok so an MFE puts out 128 eu/t 20 times. Now how does a transformer handle those ticks? Will LV transformer put out 32 EU/t 20 times and if so what about the eu/t lost (MFE=128 EU/t into a LV-transformer= 32 EU/t)

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Transformers will simply split the packet into packets that fits the requirements. It has nothing to do with the "per tick".

In your example, if your machines require the 128EU/t from the MFE, and you pass through a transformer, it will just make it into packets of 32EU.

You need to know that your MFE will output MV current, but it will only emit what is needed.
For example, if your machines only ask for 5EU, it will only output 5EU, not 128.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You need to know that your MFE will output MV current, but it will only emit what is needed.
For example, if your machines only ask for 5EU, it will only output 5EU, not 128.

That is not correct. A MFE always outputs packets sized 128 EU. If a machine asks for 5 EU, the MFE will output exactly nothing, because it cannot fulfill the request.

The machine will continue drawing energy from its internal buffer, and keep asking for larger and larger amounts of energy. At some point, it will ask for at least 128, and the MFE will say "I can do that!", and send a 128 EU packet. And now you better hope the requesting machine can handle medium voltage or is behind a transformer :p

Reactions: Abdiel

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
To measure eu output/input, everything is based on ticks. So it has everything to do with ticks. There's 256eu missing and you have a MV setup. The max packet size per tick is 128, and you'd fill it in 2 ticks. If ticks did not matter then you'd just instantly fill everything up. Ticks are used to additionally throttle / control how long it takes to send eu.

My example/spreadsheet is geared to filling MFE/MFSU or other forms of storage, utilizing the max output of the given device. You are right, if something needs less than the max packet size, then that is all it will get. That means you can run 16 macerators off of 1 batbox so long as you're feeding the batbox 32eu/t or more.

But it is important to understand that eu is sent in packets per tick. So you can have 2 geothermal gens feeding into a batbox and not blow it up, even though you're technically feeding it 40eu/t. (Last I recall geogens put out 20eu/t)

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=EU
"Storage Units always emit packets the size of their "out" value."

I guess so. I've only ever concerned myself with re-filling the storage units and didn't delve into it.

That is not correct. A MFE always outputs packets sized 128 EU. If a machine asks for 5 EU, the MFE will output exactly nothing, because it cannot fulfill the request.

The machine will continue drawing energy from its internal buffer, and keep asking for larger and larger amounts of energy. At some point, it will ask for at least 128, and the MFE will say "I can do that!", and send a 128 EU packet. And now you better hope the requesting machine can handle medium voltage or is behind a transformer :p

MrRobbie

Jul 29, 2019
I found a vid that has helped a lot. I think it is more for late game but I understand packets and power more now..lol..I think.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
My question has always been:

If i have an LV transformen downstepping 128 into 32 Eu packets, will it output 4 packets of 32 EU every tick?

If i had an HV->MV->LV would i get 16 packets of 32EU every tick?

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
My question has always been:

If i have an LV transformen downstepping 128 into 32 Eu packets, will it output 4 packets of 32 EU every tick?

If i had an HV->MV->LV would i get 16 packets of 32EU every tick?
You need to 4 transformers at each step down to carry through all the EU.

1 2048 packet into HV becomes 4 512 packets available on the output sides.
1 512 packet can be converted to 4 128 packets per tick in a MV transformer, so you need 4 MV transformers to pass through all the EU.
1 128 EU packet can be converted to 4 32 EU packets in a LV transformer, so you need 16 LV transformers to pass through all the EU.
From a HV tranformer 2048 EU input can down convert to 64 32 EU packets.

If you wanted 16 32 EU packets your source could be one MFSU (outputs one 512 EU packet per tick). Converted to 4 128 EU packets in one MV transformer and those four converted to 16 32 EU packets by 4 LV transformers.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019

Indeed, I was incorrect.

Thank you for not letting my mistakes become some kind of wrong knowledge.
And thank you for giving me the correct way, because that means I have to make some small changes to my IC2 power system to make it a bit more efficient.

No wonder why my machines kept running out of juice with wanting LV, having a big consumption, and being powered directly out off a MFSU...

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
This is the mod ForgeCraft uses to measure TPS. It's a server side mod so it doesn't need to be added to the client unless you're playing singleplayer. It's very useful.

Here's how ticks actually work: Ticks are measured in milliseconds (ms). There are 1000 milliseconds in a second. There are 20 ticks in a second assuming the ticks are completed in time.

That means that each tick has up to 50ms to process everything and move on to the next tick. If this ever takes any longer, the server starts lagging; entities stop responding quickly i.e. mobs, blocks are less responsive, etc.

If your server has 20TPS it's running at full speed; 100%. If it ever drops below this - and on a heavily modded server this is really really easy to do - the game starts acting derpy and mobs start getting noticably stupider.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
You need to 4 transformers at each step down to carry through all the EU.

This is not true. I've seen several people mention this misconception, I wonder where you got this from?

Build a simple setup MFE --> LV transformer --> batbox. Put a battery in the MFE. You will see that the batbox gets all the power from the battery, no energy is lost anywhere. An EU-reader will show 128 EU/t going through the wire between the transformer and the batbox. Since the batbox doesn't blow up, that has to be four packets of 32EU each per tick.

For completion's sake, I set up a line AESU (set to output 2048 EU/t) --> HV transformer --> MV transformer --> LV transformer --> batbox. Again, no power was lost.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
This is not true. I've seen several people mention this misconception, I wonder where you got this from?

Build a simple setup MFE --> LV transformer --> batbox. Put a battery in the MFE. You will see that the batbox gets all the power from the battery, no energy is lost anywhere. An EU-reader will show 128 EU/t going through the wire between the transformer and the batbox. Since the batbox doesn't blow up, that has to be four packets of 32EU each per tick.
I guess to be more precise you need 4 transformers if the upstream source is also transformer.

Op asked about going from HV to MV to lv, which will take 4 transformers at each level past the first.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The question is, what about more than one step? What if you want to go from a MFSU to a batbox? I am pretty sure that no energy is lost, due to the way all IC2 devices work with internal buffers, but do you get full 512 EU/t throughput with only one LV transformer?

As far as I know, the LV transformer can only accept one 128 EU packet per tick, because it only sends 4x 32 EU once per tick, and therefore only makes room for 128 EU in its internal buffer once per tick. The MV transformer in front of it could technically output 4x 128 EU per tick, but the LV transformer will only request one such packet and therefore throttle the MV transformer to quarter speed (it needs 4 ticks to make enough room in its internal buffer to be able to request a 512 EU packet from the MFSU).

What Peppe probably meant is the fact that in this case you need four LV transformers to get the full throughput speed.

EDIT: Ninja'd, but it looks like I was right :p