Thoughts on Thaumcraft 5 1.8

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That said I have just one thing to say about TC 1.5.6:

If you fight an Infested mob, it will spawn fibrous taint everywhere. Clean this stuff up immediately or face the consequences.

A second thing: Its bloody awesome.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
From what I've seen, looks great. I'm glad that Taint is no longer a biome. Switching to a Biome made it less threatening. I love the idea of a taint invasion as a result of your actions.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I would imagine at some point you might be able to blacklist golems from doing certain tasks. Like "Yes, I know this golem is near a pumpkin farm, but he's only supposed to be defending the area. Don't let him do anything else."

new day, new update, and today it's @Azanor with Thaumcraft
- golems and seals can now be assigned colors allowing you to limit golems to performing tasks from specific seals. See the thaumonomicon for details.
kinda chuckled when I saw this. Its whitelisting rather than blacklisting, but achieves the same purpose.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Thaumcraft like always... sorely needs a chunk loading mod accompaniment. I have to say, this is the most willingly involved in Thaumcraft I have played since 2.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually finding the research more or less tolerable when I config for purchase-anything mode. There's interesting projects to try to amass the aspects you need (such as, say, making whisperweeds from forbidden magic)
I guess I have total research fatigue. I refuse to research a damned thing for Thaumcraft. Ever. I'm done. LOL.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Research has actually gotten trickier for me. I used to game the reserch hard, I melted bajillions of crafting tables for research points. I also exploited TC villagers for fragments.
Of course I still progress as fast as I did in 1.7.10.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Research has actually gotten trickier for me. I used to game the reserch hard, I melted bajillions of crafting tables for research points.
Like, with the deconstruction table, constantly opening the gui(s)? (I assume you used multiple tables to mitigate loss of sanity to some degree)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Like, with the deconstruction table, constantly opening the gui(s)? (I assume you used multiple tables to mitigate loss of sanity to some degree)
No... I have boundless amounts of patients for thaumcraft and I usually only need to burn one stack a sitting. But combined I have destroyed many a crafting table.
There is also the automatic deconstruction table provided by Technomancy, it quarters the chance of getting points but has the advantage of running while you are doing other things.

Another thing I have noticed is that aspect combos seem to be more balanced but make less sense. Tutamen is spiritus and earth? OK...
I am loving how wands charge now though. No more of that filling journey map with hundreds of big terra nodes... they are there of course but you don't really need to interact with them. At least for filling wands.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I am loving how wands charge now though. No more of that filling journey map with hundreds of big terra nodes... they are there of course but you don't really need to interact with them. At least for filling wands.
My big thaumcraft revelation was realizing I should always have 3-4 wands, and go out and charge them all at once. Its a more efficient use of your time.

Also, TC Node Tracker ftw. Until TC 5 I guess.

Reactions: RedBoss

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
My big thaumcraft revelation was realizing I should always have 3-4 wands, and go out and charge them all at once. Its a more efficient use of your time.

Also, TC Node Tracker ftw. Until TC 5 I guess.
I tend to have 2-3 wands on me, it ends up being the previous level wands but that extra vis is handy. It's still a hell of a trek to fill them. Even more so if you are implying you build say 3 totally new greatwood or Silverwood wands.
These days I just cheese charging wands with Forbidden Magic livingwood wands or that Thaumic Horizons machine that turns essentia in to centivis. I never use the Blood magic wand though, that things dangerous and kills you in an odd way that your grave doesn't spawn.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I tend to have 2-3 wands on me, it ends up being the previous level wands but that extra vis is handy. It's still a hell of a trek to fill them. Even more so if you are implying you build say 3 totally new greatwood or Silverwood wands.
Yeah that's basically what I do. Bearing in mind I am not a hardcore TC buff, I just do what "needs to get done" and then get back to tech play. So I don't go through vis as fast as you.

I realized I could save a lot of time because when you're filling up one wand, you do tend to leave some aspects behind in each node that that particular wand doesn't need anymore. It makes more sense to scoop those up too.

These days I just cheese charging wands with Forbidden Magic livingwood wand
Its actually in my notes to check out livingwood wands and I never seem to get around to it :\

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've seen, looks great. I'm glad that Taint is no longer a biome. Switching to a Biome made it less threatening. I love the idea of a taint invasion as a result of your actions.

TC 5 still has a tainted lands biome. It tends to appear now AFTER you leave an infestation of fibrous taint without dealing with it. And probably continues to be the mechanisim that will taint nodes.

I guess I have total research fatigue. I refuse to research a damned thing for Thaumcraft. Ever. I'm done. LOL.

TC5's research can be done in a single sitting if you have enough paper and ink sacks. If getting fresh research points with each research note still palls, you can put it into easy mode in which player XP is used to unlock research.

No... I have boundless amounts of patients for thaumcraft and I usually only need to burn one stack a sitting. But combined I have destroyed many a crafting table.

There are applications - such as AutoIT - that can script mouse clicks. I would use this to harvest research points while I watched TV. I do NOT have a problem with using scripting to bypass stupid grindy game mechanics.

My big revelation was that mob grinders could charge wands with all aspects, as well as supplying arrows, armor and loads of XP useful for enchanting the items you tend to be making in the early game. In all my TC 4.1+ games I never used nodes to charge my wands - a 9x9 built around the closest spawner, with water pushing mobs into a kill slot (that thing where they drop onto a block so that you can attack their feet), always sufficed.
All the metallum I ever needed for TC ore doubling comes from disenchanting the mob armor that they spawn with.
Roguelike dungeons makes this approach very lucrative, so much so I'm wondering if its OP.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure
Assuming that due to not being a magic buff. You may need to get as far as endoflames in Botania. So it might not make rechargeing too much better.
Depending on your mod pack you may want to look at Technomancy. It has a wand that uses RF from capacitors to create vis. Of course the default conversion rate does make resonant capacitors look like dinky AA batteries. Also they have been historically buggy.
Once it had a bug where the energised wand kept drawing power even if it had no aspects to fill. Combine this with the wands consumption rate and a remote charger from EIO and you became a walking blackout.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My big revelation was that mob grinders could charge wands with all aspects, as well as supplying arrows, armor and loads of XP useful for enchanting the items you tend to be making in the early game. In all my TC 4.1+ games I never used nodes to charge my wands - a 9x9 built around the closest spawner, with water pushing mobs into a kill slot (that thing where they drop onto a block so that you can attack their feet), always sufficed.
All the metallum I ever needed for TC ore doubling comes from disenchanting the mob armor that they spawn with.
Roguelike dungeons makes this approach very lucrative, so much so I'm wondering if its OP.
Weird, I never really connected it, but I do sometimes go to visit my wither skull farm just to recharge my wand a bit; it never really occurred to me to do it early game.

What's the connection with roguelike dungeons? I don't think I've ever been in one.

@Pyure
Assuming that due to not being a magic buff. You may need to get as far as endoflames in Botania. So it might not make rechargeing too much better.
Depending on your mod pack you may want to look at Technomancy. It has a wand that uses RF from capacitors to create vis. Of course the default conversion rate does make resonant capacitors look like dinky AA batteries. Also they have been historically buggy.
Once it had a bug where the energised wand kept drawing power even if it had no aspects to fill. Combine this with the wands consumption rate and a remote charger from EIO and you became a walking blackout.

Playing mostly Infinity Expert atm, no technomancy I believe. Sounds neato though.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Biggest thing I like: Thaumcraft used to be so hard to setup because it was so difficult to get the vis resource required to use the mod. Now that vis comes to you instead of you to it, you move fairly quickly.
Hardest thing about it: Portals (not oblisks) of crimson knights and mages are everywhere and mage stuff is really out of control. Everything gets set on fire it seems. and I mean things in your entire viewing range)
Most Important problem I've come across: If you absorb all the vis in the immediate or local chunks, your game will grind to a halt for reasons I can't better explain, or describe for troubleshooting.I found this out when trying to fully upgrade a shock foci.
What looks to be the most complicated: Golems. That being said, they aren't necessary. Even less necessary then before.

Focus upgrading takes tons of vis. Just take focus upgrade table with you on a walk and use it somewhere away from your base.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Weird, I never really connected it, but I do sometimes go to visit my wither skull farm just to recharge my wand a bit; it never really occurred to me to do it early game.

What's the connection with roguelike dungeons? I don't think I've ever been in one.

Roguelike dungeons builds multi story dungeon complexes, with an attractive Tower on the surface as the entrance. Each level gets progressively harder - the first level has a few mob spawners in the center of rooms and the rooms are made of mundane materials. The next level adds spawners to the corridors linking the rooms. The next level hides the spawners inside structures, but places blocks on the walls that act as hints that theyre there. The final level just hides them in walls. From the 3rd level down some of the spawners are creeper spawners, there are trapped chests and TNT in the floor ready to drop you down shafts into lava or further trapped rooms on the next level down.

How this relates to your question: Even on the first level, the spawners have custom NBT data that cause them to spawn mobs that are ... well equipped with armor and weapons. This yields hard fights against otherwise vanilla mobs, but netts you loads and loads of (extremely damaged) leather, chain and iron armor and some gold and diamond: wonderful sources of tutamen, metallum, bestia and lucrum.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Roguelike dungeons builds multi story dungeon complexes, with an attractive Tower on the surface as the entrance. Each level gets progressively harder - the first level has a few mob spawners in the center of rooms and the rooms are made of mundane materials. The next level adds spawners to the corridors linking the rooms. The next level hides the spawners inside structures, but places blocks on the walls that act as hints that theyre there. The final level just hides them in walls. From the 3rd level down some of the spawners are creeper spawners, there are trapped chests and TNT in the floor ready to drop you down shafts into lava or further trapped rooms on the next level down.

How this relates to your question: Even on the first level, the spawners have custom NBT data that cause them to spawn mobs that are ... well equipped with armor and weapons. This yields hard fights against otherwise vanilla mobs, but netts you loads and loads of (extremely damaged) leather, chain and iron armor and some gold and diamond: wonderful sources of tutamen, metallum, bestia and lucrum.
Bingo. This is what's been fueling my Tutamen as a primary source in my current world, and I've had to make a void jar for Metallum at this point for the sheer amount I get from all the armour I'm breaking down. On the other hand, even with fully enchanted thaumium fortress armor, the mobs in those Roguelike Dungeons can get pretty nasty! So I don't feel as though it's unearned equipment, at least.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Some drops from Roguelike Dungeons, namely enchanted diamond leggings and bodyarmor, have so many combined aspects that Smeltery can't process them. I had to disenchant them to push through.