Thoughts on Thaumcraft 5 1.8

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Haven't seen any thread on TC 1.8. More coming. I haven't seen a place for discussion so hears mine. I think it's great. I used to get into it after everything else because it was hard to start up.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I was trying out the unstable pack. I started thaumcraft research as soon as I was able. Had completed all the researches without actually having done much in game. Game crashed soon after that and something wiped my research. Haven't really had much interest in unstable after that. I really liked the changes that have been made. I am thinking it will be a lot easier mod to get into. I like the new things I have seen in letsplays and livestreams I have seen covering it. Still worried about taint though. Taint always seems to be a big thing in thaumcraft. I can't see how it would be easy to stop trolling on servers that have the mod on it. I am always afraid of it destroying my minecraft world. I am hoping that is less of a worry with thaumcraft 5.

Getting so excited to see what the mods are like when they are in a more finished state.

Decided to give research a try in infinity. I think It may be the first time I actually progressed through research in thaumcraft 1.4 normally. I used to always changed the config to easy research mode. It was so easy though. Lots easier then I ever thought it would be. I don't even bother trying to puzzle it out. I just slap down the most common aspect I have that fits in the spot and chain them together.

Just spent all day constructing golems to automate the essentia. I can get them to fill the jars. I just can't figure out how to get them to fill other things from the jars. Was hoping to get them to fill the Thaumatorium when a project was active in it. None of the cores or configurations I tried seamed to work though. The way the Thauminomicon reads they should be able to do it. They just don't though.

Found out about bean breading in 1.4 too. Thinking that sounds awesome. Looking for beans now to try that. So jar all I have is the water aspect.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Trolling/griefing is an preventable admin issue, not a mod/game design issue.
Also as far as I've seen theres anti-taint flowers one can plant (or admin can pull from creative) to reverse any issues.
Was going to disagree. I am having trouble marshaling any argument against it. So it is probably right. I really like the taint clearing flowers. I liked in monster that they could easily be found in rainbow forests. Would decorate my base with them and rainbow trees. Though taint was never a worry.

Just glad that I am the only troll on my server, and all the greifing is light hearted or accidental at best. <--- leaving this statement, out of context, because i like the way it reads.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
From what Ive seen, I like thaumcraft 4 more. Its nice that research is easier but I always played with it turned off anyway.

Reactions: RedBoss

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
TC 5 looks pretty much the same only no more "scanning all the things". Well that's a lie you need to scan certain things to unlock certain research.
But it makes me wonder how the EZ mode research will work.
The essentia mechanics have been made easier too with those diffusers that transmit through the air.
Also how vis works via a tc3 aura system mashed with the tc4 elemental typing mechanics.
Essentially the whole mod seems a bit more streamlined.
Not sure about alchemy though, Azanor seems to be trying to discourage rushing to essentia distillation and forceing a step of crusible crafting, a mechanic I find messy and clumsy. So many items melted because it didn't recognize an item as a catalyst because I didn't have the right aspects. That or accidentally pressing Q and throwing your thaumonomicon in...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
TC 5 looks pretty much the same only no more "scanning all the things". Well that's a lie you need to scan certain things to unlock certain research.
But it makes me wonder how the EZ mode research will work.
The essentia mechanics have been made easier too with those diffusers that transmit through the air.
Also how vis works via a tc3 aura system mashed with the tc4 elemental typing mechanics.
Essentially the whole mod seems a bit more streamlined.
Not sure about alchemy though, Azanor seems to be trying to discourage rushing to essentia distillation and forceing a step of crusible crafting, a mechanic I find messy and clumsy. So many items melted because it didn't recognize an item as a catalyst because I didn't have the right aspects. That or accidentally pressing Q and throwing your thaumonomicon in...

Easy mode works by going off of vanilla experience points. If you have a great fast way to get exp, it's cool. Normal is a mix of research and exp purchase. Hard is just research. Its actually better to go striaght hard in 5. The research is actually really easy and it isn't predicated on you being perfect to make sure you have enough points to research stuff at the end. That was the biggest reason why I could never leave easy in 4. There isn't 100 aspects to remember, there's only like 20... so your head doesn't spin. I don't know what elemental typing mechanics are. Its very easy to get into using the crucible or distillation (well if you have access to silverwood trees... which isn't easy. I've gone through 2 full playthroughs of it in single with the mod itself and a silverwood sap is the only thing I have had to spawn in. Also, you quickly realize that you need to distill asap and efficiently asap to prevent taint. as crucible inefficiency very strongly effects the chunked environment.

Reactions: RedBoss

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I was trying out the unstable pack. I started thaumcraft research as soon as I was able. Had completed all the researches without actually having done much in game. Game crashed soon after that and something wiped my research. Haven't really had much interest in unstable after that. I really liked the changes that have been made. I am thinking it will be a lot easier mod to get into. I like the new things I have seen in letsplays and livestreams I have seen covering it. Still worried about taint though. Taint always seems to be a big thing in thaumcraft. I can't see how it would be easy to stop trolling on servers that have the mod on it. I am always afraid of it destroying my minecraft world. I am hoping that is less of a worry with thaumcraft 5.

Getting so excited to see what the mods are like when they are in a more finished state.

Decided to give research a try in infinity. I think It may be the first time I actually progressed through research in thaumcraft 1.4 normally. I used to always changed the config to easy research mode. It was so easy though. Lots easier then I ever thought it would be. I don't even bother trying to puzzle it out. I just slap down the most common aspect I have that fits in the spot and chain them together.

Just spent all day constructing golems to automate the essentia. I can get them to fill the jars. I just can't figure out how to get them to fill other things from the jars. Was hoping to get them to fill the Thaumatorium when a project was active in it. None of the cores or configurations I tried seamed to work though. The way the Thauminomicon reads they should be able to do it. They just don't though.

Found out about bean breading in 1.4 too. Thinking that sounds awesome. Looking for beans now to try that. So jar all I have is the water aspect.
I've had 2 play throughs with it. One with BoP and one without. The one with BoP, taint was common. The one without BoP, taint was very uncommon. But that's the trouble sometimes with BoP, it's chaos with spawning random or rare undesirable things. It can be delt with well enough though. I know about the blooms to fight taint mess, but I have yet seen a natural spawned silverwood, nor a shimmer flower to do it.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Biggest thing I like: Thaumcraft used to be so hard to setup because it was so difficult to get the vis resource required to use the mod. Now that vis comes to you instead of you to it, you move fairly quickly.
Hardest thing about it: Portals (not oblisks) of crimson knights and mages are everywhere and mage stuff is really out of control. Everything gets set on fire it seems. and I mean things in your entire viewing range)
Most Important problem I've come across: If you absorb all the vis in the immediate or local chunks, your game will grind to a halt for reasons I can't better explain, or describe for troubleshooting.I found this out when trying to fully upgrade a shock foci.
What looks to be the most complicated: Golems. That being said, they aren't necessary. Even less necessary then before.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The elemental typing for Vis means how it's separated in to the 6 primals. In TC 2 it was just one type of magic power.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What looks to be the most complicated: Golems.
Did you think so? I thought they looked simpler than before. ( I agree they're a bit less necessary given the reduced need for alchemy golems)

I look at 1.5 golems like Dwarf Fortress dwarves if you're familiar with them. You create jobs, and any available dwarves will simply go do whatever tasks are in the queue.

I would imagine at some point you might be able to blacklist golems from doing certain tasks. Like "Yes, I know this golem is near a pumpkin farm, but he's only supposed to be defending the area. Don't let him do anything else."

I realize this is probably already handled via warded stones or some such, but I never found walling in golems to be highly effective.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Roger...
Did you think so? I thought they looked simpler than before. ( I agree they're a bit less necessary given the reduced need for alchemy golems)

I look at 1.5 golems like Dwarf Fortress dwarves if you're familiar with them. You create jobs, and any available dwarves will simply go do whatever tasks are in the queue.

I would imagine at some point you might be able to blacklist golems from doing certain tasks. Like "Yes, I know this golem is near a pumpkin farm, but he's only supposed to be defending the area. Don't let him do anything else."

I realize this is probably already handled via warded stones or some such, but I never found walling in golems to be highly effective.
in TC4 they were simple and dumb with specific tasks that may or may not require confinement. Now you can run an entire farm off with one golem. In that, it is simplier. Making, configurating, and setting up everything a golem is to do though is not easier. It's fairly complex.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Golems are actually a bit more complicated. You need to make sure your golems have the right properties to interact with each seal.
This too is probably how you'd make a guard golem not decide to farm.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Golems are actually a bit more complicated. You need to make sure your golems have the right properties to interact with each seal.
This too is probably how you'd make a guard golem not decide to farm.

For some reason this really appeals to me. Again, I mentioned dwarf fortress above, that's probably why: DF was a bit of a gateway into MC for me.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
This is all really interesting. I'll be waiting for stability though. I've been cut by walking the bleeding edge for too long. I'll let others test and experiment.

And here's to hoping Thaumcraft Minus updates as well.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is all really interesting. I'll be waiting for stability though. I've been cut by walking the bleeding edge for too long. I'll let others test and experiment.

And here's to hoping Thaumcraft Minus updates as well.
I'm actually finding the research more or less tolerable when I config for purchase-anything mode. There's interesting projects to try to amass the aspects you need (such as, say, making whisperweeds from forbidden magic)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 5 for MC 1.8 ?
It looks like the thread is about TC 5.1.8, which is impossible as the current TC if 5.1.6