Thoughts on Mojang & Mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should Mojang....

• Adopt Forge?

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Continue with "Official Mod API"?

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Work with the Forge team and ForeCraft modders to produce something everyone will like?

Votes: 43 60.6%

• Total voters

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Le sigh, again.
ModLoader also provides a mods folder. You put the zips in there, like it says in regular modloader mod instructions, and poof.
Who's to say it's not the same for Forge?

It does? It's never generated one for me.

Then again, it very rarely worked.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
It does? It's never generated one for me.

Then again, it very rarely worked.
About a year or two ago when I was getting started with Modloader, I used to think I put the mods in the Jar.
Then I found the mods folder.
And a tutorial on putting mods in the mods folder.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to go out on a limb and say the API from Mojang will never come. Jeb will keep pumping out updates, seeing ideas in mods and implement them into vanilla, and tweaking the code just enough to make things a lot harder in the end. I hope I am wrong but it is a gut feeling I have,

Reactions: Pokefenn

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to go out on a limb and say the API from Mojang will never come. Jeb will keep pumping out updates, seeing ideas in mods and implement them into vanilla, and tweaking the code just enough to make things a lot harder in the end. I hope I am wrong but it is a gut feeling I have,

Keep in mind some people are bat feces crazy about being 100% vanilla.

Getting something like horses that's been in the modding community almost since 2011 for vanilla is like getting a Christmas present to them.

To be honest, Mojang takes the best of mods and adds them into vanilla, not mods that add random crap, like electricity or cannons that sucks up the essences of animals so you can shoot them out in the form of effing pokeballs.

If you've noticed, the stuff that they add (comparators for example, just a single block but allows for construction of things that can replicate functions of blocks from mods and also allows computers) is extremely open-ended. Adding a block that sends out a redstone signal when it gets a redstone signal, so incredibly basic that it's funny? LET'S GIVE IT 20 MORE USES FOR NO APPARENT REASON, JUST 'CAUSE WE CAN.

It's generally more fun to think of things with vanilla than it is with mods, since mods usually implement things that people couldn't be bothered to make in vanilla themselves so they just recreate it in a single block and give it a crafting recipe. Mods can't get away by adding fun things, like flying pigs, unless it's open ended. Very few mods have actually added open-ended things, one of the few being RP2 with it's frames. The redstone logic added by mods like IC2 and BC can be used to automate really complex and interesting builds, aswell.

EDIT: Spaced out because I like my posts that way and it looks like a wall of text otherwise.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019

Just so you know, the new resources pack is a step forward towards the mod API.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that Drav just a feeling I am getting. Seems something they are adding will break texture packs for a bit. Like I said I hope I am wrong.

Peggie you have a point but I sense a lot of anger also.

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
The API will never happen, it's been like two years since it was promised coming soon*, and if it ever does, it can't possibly replace Forge, Forge does too many things already, and I don't know how Mojang could ever make anything as useful as Forge's event system without straight up copying its code. I think I've said this before, and I'll say it again, Mojang's steps towards a mod API seem to only screw over modders, the most notable of which being the recent texture changes.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
The API will never happen, it's been like two years since it was promised coming soon*, and if it ever does, it can't possibly replace Forge, Forge does too many things already, and I don't know how Mojang could ever make anything as useful as Forge's event system without straight up copying its code. I think I've said this before, and I'll say it again, Mojang's steps towards a mod API seem to only screw over modders, the most notable of which being the recent texture changes.

Giving compatibility to mods isn't their first priority. However much it might screw over modders with the new texture system, it's amazing to be able to have a texture pack that can have every block animated for both the people who use the mods and who don't use the mods.

If they didn't update the game and screw over modders in the process, then people who didn't use mods would be forced into using mods since the vanilla game would never be updated ever again. And eventually it would kill Minecraft, since most people (75%-ish) only know about vanilla, or at least don't want to bother with modding it. And hearing "Oh, they gave up working on it, they left the game for the modders to build upon" isn't exactly what you would call nice to 75% of the Minecraft community.

Imagine having a ton of fleas jumping at you, you're not sure which are good and which are bad but you just keep walking and if anything happens to them it's not your problem. Some fleas get shaken off your coat while you're walking, while others are left on.

I have somewhat strong emotions when it comes to people saying that Mojang are effing up the modding community by just adding things that break the game for modders. Don't mind me.

Reactions: Dravarden

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Actually some games have gotten some huge life spans due to modding. Half-Life is one I can think of off the top of my head. So it is possible for Mojang to make an API so that the life of the game can be expanded once they move on to another project. By the same token Jeb can easily keep wanting Minecraft to have updates as long as ideas keep rolling in, no matter how lousy they may be (seriously villagers now sound like frickin Squidward from SpongeBob not cool).

Reactions: PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Actually some games have gotten some huge life spans due to modding. Half-Life is one I can think of off the top of my head. So it is possible for Mojang to make an API so that the life of the game can be expanded once they move on to another project. By the same token Jeb can easily keep wanting Minecraft to have updates as long as ideas keep rolling in, no matter how lousy they may be (seriously villagers now sound like frickin Squidward from SpongeBob not cool).

Yeah, games have existed purely from modding, but modding is like a terrible life insurance that only works half of the time. Sometimes if you stop updating your game it dies off instantly, but sometimes the modding community keeps it afloat purely from community-created content. It depends how easy you make it to mod your game.

Not that a game that's carried by modding is better or worse than a game that's carried by the developers.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Very very true. Let us look at Terraria as an example. The creator did a smash up job. A whole lot of people loved it, I know I did. But he was steadfast on not wanting mods and very few texture packs. He then up and leaves the game leaving many with a bad taste due to how he did it. Now many months later and it is going to be on consoles. Maybe more money for him but the pc crowd could have used mods for it as it is sandboxy enough to be helpful. A game like Minecraft can benefit more due to its open ended nature then say a very linear game.

All in all it is in the eyes of the beholder.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Very very true. Let us look at Terraria as an example. The creator did a smash up job. A whole lot of people loved it, I know I did. But he was steadfast on not wanting mods and very few texture packs. He then up and leaves the game leaving many with a bad taste due to how he did it. Now many months later and it is going to be on consoles. Maybe more money for him but the pc crowd could have used mods for it as it is sandboxy enough to be helpful. A game like Minecraft can benefit more due to its open ended nature then say a very linear game.

All in all it is in the eyes of the beholder.

Slightly off-topic, it seems they've recently gotten back into (or close to) their mood of sending out a massive update with content every day.
Which is good. It means that they'll run out of energy in a few months, but until that happens lots of PC updates will be coming out.

hanleybrand

Jul 29, 2019
I'll just say this right now:
Modloader doesn't deserve to be popular.

I agree with this, but for my part it's because of how the Modloader post is written - he may as well have just put a download link with "FUCK YOU" in as big type size as minecraftforum would allow, and then closed his topic.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I like how everybody here seems to hate modloader for no reason and meanwhile in the minecraftforums everybody cries when a mod changes to require forge.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I like how everybody here seems to hate modloader for no reason and meanwhile in the minecraftforums everybody cries when a mod changes to require forge.
Modloader adds needless complexity to the job by (apparently) having you actually unzip the mods and put them in the Minecraft Jar.
Forge is simple:
Delete Meta-INF.
Put in Forge.
Open up MC.
Close MC.
Put mods in obvious folders.
Poof!

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Modloader adds needless complexity to the job by (apparently) having you actually unzip the mods and put them in the Minecraft Jar.
Forge is simple:
Delete Meta-INF.
Put in Forge.
Open up MC.
Close MC.
Put mods in obvious folders.
Poof!

But its so hard to unzip a mod and add it to the jar? well, besides the part of removing it...

I also dislike the people that say: "y u no use this lanunchr it totaly dosnt steal paswod and you leave your jar clean of modz so amasing somg"

why the heck would I want to leave my jar free of mods? is not like it costs money to get a new one or something.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind Modloader. Heck that is how I first learned to install mods. I believe first mods were Computer Craft and WizardCraft. So I have to agree with Drav here. It isn't really that hard and is good to learn to do.