Thoughts on Mojang & Mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should Mojang....

• Adopt Forge?

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Continue with "Official Mod API"?

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Work with the Forge team and ForeCraft modders to produce something everyone will like?

Votes: 43 60.6%

• Total voters

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
It definitely seemed like a popular idea, but the thread didn't go much further. What do you guys think of the whole idea/ordeal?

I don't believe that Mojang can simply "adopt" an API's code, although what they did do was, if I remember correctly, hire the Bukkit team to assist with the API.

A year ago, right?

Look where that has gotten us.

Modding is the future of MineCraft, as it removes Mojang from the process of adding new interesting content, which they are not all that good at doing on the whole.

Matthew83

Jul 29, 2019
Modding is the future of MineCraft, as it removes Mojang from the process of adding new interesting content, which they are not all that good at doing on the whole.

Yeah, with every official update I'm always disappointed with the lack of new interesting content. I guess I'm just jaded from all the cool stuff the mods add.

I think they should adopt forge but I highly doubt they will.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, with every official update I'm always disappointed with the lack of new interesting content. I guess I'm just jaded from all the cool stuff the mods add.

Indeed, although it really isn't Mojang's fault. The MineCraft Dev team will never be able to compete with the hundreds of hobby programmers that are programming mods for the sake of adding content they want added. It's one of the major reasons that mod support is considered such an important feature in modern games, and one of the reasons that console gaming has never been able to touch computer gaming.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Unless I'm remembering wrong, Mojang can't adopt the Forge code because I think it's under GPL (or similar). The problem being that it requires any project using it's code to be released under the same license (it's kinda the licensing equivalent of a virus), which is great, but the open-source/free thing doesn't seem to fit with Mojang's methods (and they're unlikely to shift that just to acquire forge).

Also, I'd disagree that Mods are the "future" of minecraft. To my eye, mods change the ethos of the game. Mojang's version is intended as very simplistic, basic tools, with complex ends. The redstone system is a prime example of this. They lay down some simple rules, and the fun is what you can do with it. The mods, on the other hand switch that to complex, powerful tools, many of which are the target themselves (making a T5 spawner, getting a gravity suit, etc.), rather than the vanilla goals, which tend to spring from the user.

I would love to see a decent api, but it'll likely end up being a rebuilt version of Forge, done in collaboration over an extended period. Given how far forge has come over the past year even, it's easy to see that it's not going to be a trivial matter.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
As I said in another thread user base content is way of the future for gaming. Mojang brings out awesome stuff but a lot of it feels, again feels, not fleshed out. A way to easily get user based content, eg mods, texture packs, even adventure maps, via a vanilla interface would be so awesome. Yes mods add in some complexity but a lot add in simple things like MAatmos and others of its kin.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I think vanilla is going well, specially when they don't add stupid stuff, specially that they add it as improved as possible, not as laggy as possible.

Oh, and the API is coming when minecraft is bug free.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Then, if you think is like that, go make the API yourself.

I cannot make the API for MineCraft "myself" because I am not a member of the Mojang programming team. I'm not sure why you even posted that, considering that it was pretty bloody obvious what the logical answer would be, so I'm just going to assume you had a "brain fart".

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Then if you can't make it yourself, stop whining.

I am not able to "make it" myself because I am not a Mojang dev team member. I also have no desire to join their team as I don't speak Swedish, nor do I want to move to Sweden. I don't think you are going to understand this, though, as you usually do not understand simple things like this as you are too focused on your emotions.

Secondly, welcome to the internet, specifically a forum. On forums, people post their opinions, data, and the like for other people to address and discuss. If you don't like this, then I strongly suggest that you rethink the entire "forum" and possibly "internet" aspect of your life.

Now, are you done trying to derail another thread?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
when minecraft is bug free.

Such a time does not exist. I know of no game without bugs, even awesome ones which went through enormous amounts of testing. Taking a look at the Legend of Zelda, for instance, Twilight Princess has a glitch which allows you to get the Master Sword early, and OoT and MM are buggy as *bleep* if you know how to glitch them, MrGrunz does.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Glitch: In video games, a glitch is a programming error which results in behavior not intended by the programmers. Glitches may include incorrectly displayed graphics, collision detection errors, game-freezing or crashes, sound issues, and others. Some glitches are potentially dangerous to the game save data.

Bug: A software bug is an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program that prevents it from behaving as intended (e.g., producing an incorrect or unexpected result). Most bugs arise from mistakes and errors made by people in either a program's source code or its design, and a few are caused by compilers producing incorrect code.

sorry, my bad, is when minecraft is glitch free.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Either choice will never happen to a game that is constantly being developed. Every update can bring about glitches or bugs just due to messing with code. Corruption of Champions has this BUT the author has a wonderful community that helps with bug finding which he is very good at stomping out.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
then there will not be no api, you will still be whining, together with the mod makers, and I will laugh... how did you said? till the end of the universe?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Corruption of Champions has this BUT the author has a wonderful community that helps with bug finding which he is very good at stomping out.

MineCraft's community helps in this regard as well (although less tentacles and whatnot involved on this end, of course), although that mostly happens over on the MineCraftForums, and on Twitter from what I've seen.

then there will not be no api, you will still be whining, together with the mod makers, and I will laugh... how did you said? till the end of the universe?
Close enough to "the end" for discussions with someone at your level, but that aside, we HAVE an API: Forge.
I'm not sure why you think you are going to laugh, though, because MineCraft is always going to be buggy and never add a decent built in API. Thankfully the community is fixing another one of their major bugs.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I am not able to "make it" myself because I am not a Mojang dev team member. I also have no desire to join their team as I don't speak Swedish, nor do I want to move to Sweden. I don't think you are going to understand this, though, as you usually do not understand simple things like this as you are too focused on your emotions.

Focused on emotions? what the hell are you talking about?

and if you can't do it better yourself, then stop whining, just like people teached me when I was whining about greg and his nerfs.