Thoughts on MFR

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, as a modder, they're a total disaster right now. You've probably seen RC/BC tanks crashing with badly written liquids (TE's tanks work fine because KL actually handled that case...), which is because you have to set up liquid rendering in like five different places despite it just being a single texture. They're basically becoming a third "kind" of thing now, separate from items and blocks, and the internals are a ton nicer.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, as a modder, they're a total disaster right now. You've probably seen RC/BC tanks crashing with badly written liquids (TE's tanks work fine because KL actually handled that case...), which is because you have to set up liquid rendering in like five different places despite it just being a single texture. They're basically becoming a third "kind" of thing now, separate from items and blocks, and the internals are a ton nicer.

So, massive amounts of flowing water shouldn't lag our games to death then?

I built a really cool rollercoaster once that ended up sucking because the waterfall area caused so much lag.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019

I built a really cool rollercoaster once that ended up sucking because the waterfall area caused so much lag.
I'm pretty sure that the lag from water is from the sound effects and particles

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019

No promises on that one.

what does the Free aidan mean in your sig?

I'm protesting his (temp) ban.

Does anyone know what the size of the internal buffer on the item router is?

3 slots.

Reactions: Mjw

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
Save Ferris

So water is currently counted as a bunch of separate blocks or something?

Well the in-world format has to be a block. The question is how it's passed around between inventories and how you say how much of it you have. This really isn't going to make much sense if you haven't done modding before so just take my word on this stuff.

I'm guessing the change screws you over a little as well?

I dunno about screws, but it breaks my modified setup where I had zero-buffer power providers since I have my own 'native' energy buffer and I don't want the one that comes along for the ride with BC's power provider class. Not yet sure what I'm going to do about that.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Well the in-world format has to be a block. The question is how it's passed around between inventories and how you say how much of it you have. This really isn't going to make much sense if you haven't done modding before so just take my word on this stuff.

I'm guessing it's like the quantities like the smaller measurements like mB and stuff? You sound like my older brother when I ask him how electric motors and stuff work (he used to scrounge up components from old toys and put em together into new toys for me, after even carving the wood) and he'd be like, "oh my god Liam, just- just trust me. you don't even know" xD

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
Oh no, I COULD explain it, I just don't feel like writing a two page whitepaper on liquidstacks and the garbage that is canonical rendering icons and implementing texture pack change events and what happens when two mods register the same liquid (hint: bad things). It's a total mess, which as stated, is the point of KL's rewrite.

1 mB is still the smallest atomic quantity though.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Oh no, I COULD explain it, I just don't feel like writing a two page whitepaper on liquidstacks and the garbage that is canonical rendering icons and implementing texture pack change events and what happens when two mods register the same liquid (hint: bad things). It's a total mess, which as stated, is the point of KL's rewrite.

1 mB is still the smallest atomic quantity though.

You've piqued my interest, where can i find out more information on liquids in mods? I can't give this up, i need to know more. :1

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
You've piqued my interest, where can i find out more information on liquids in mods? I can't give this up, i need to know more. :1

Documentation isn't really a thing. Your options are the forge wiki and looking at the source to other mods.

Any chance you would have a way to tell what is in a placed DSU without opening its GUI?

Someday, probably. No idea when though.

Reactions: Chocorate

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding the liquid change, I heard something about it breaking liquids inside of tanks. Would this also affect liquids stored inside of stuff like capsules, cells, and barrels? Also, I too am curious about this ban thing now :O

Thank you for answering our questions as well.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding the liquid change, I heard something about it breaking liquids inside of tanks. Would this also affect liquids stored inside of stuff like capsules, cells, and barrels? Also, I too am curious about this ban thing now :O

Thank you for answering our questions as well.

Nope, as they are not into those containers technically speaking. It's just an item that has a texture simlar to the liquid and is named after the liquid.
you mean the mekanism dev? what did he get banned from? and why?

things, stuff.